Fluval Chi Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Chi Planted

Howdy all,

I'm new here. It's been a while since I've done a truly planted tank. I've had this Chi setup at work for about a year, with some Cardinal Tetras and some anubias on driftwood. The light/filter cube ended up failing recently, and instead of replacing it with another, I figured I'd put my ZooMed 501 to use (it's been sitting in a box for years), buy a new light, and go fully planted.

Before:

As it sits now:

Tank: Fluval Chi 5g (Low Tech)
Filter: ZooMed 501
Lighting: Deep Blue SolarFlare 15w (bought this because it was cheap and available; spectrum probably isn't right, but we'll see how it does)
Substrate: Seachem Eco-Complete
Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 50w, set to 76 degrees
Ferts: Flourish tabs, Flourish, and Flourish Excel
Flora: Marsilea Minuta, Anubias nana 'Petite', Peacock moss, Rotala rotundifolia
Planned Fauna: Endlers, Otocinclus, RCS

I borrowed a friend's camera to take the pics, I'll have to take my DSLR up to work soon and take some better pics. I just planted several days ago, so it will take a while to fill in.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks nice! I'm not sure what the spectrum is on that light but I use a reef spectrum on my CHI and everything grows just fine. I might be alone in this but I like the crispness of the 10k white/blue combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

The fixture has 2 x 3w 10,000K, 2 x 3w 6700K, and 1 x 3w "actinic."

I see that you're using the Ecoxotic EcoPico light. That was my plan originally, however, I couldn't find one locally and Aquarium Adventures had a coupon for 35% off one item. Even though they have a high markup on most of their items, the fixture ended up being $40 (cheaper than I could find online), which I thought was pretty reasonable. We'll see how well it does.

And you're not alone, I ran a marine LED fixture on my cichlid tank because I prefer how the colors pop under "marine" spectrum. Just wasn't sure how this spectrum would affect overall plant health and growth. Glad to hear that it's working for you!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm probably using the same LED! I have a Marineland Reef Ready over my 40 gallon. I like it but I'll probably be changing it soon as I bought it for a smaller tank and when I upgraded I just hung it above the 40, I need to get something that will give a better spread over the width of the tank.

Keep us up to date, I'd love to see the progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I recently purchased a Nano Box Flare from Nano Box Reef (http://nanoboxreef.com/shop/products.html) and thought I would post some updated pics:

Absolutely loving the light so far, and if you're looking for a planted spectrum LED for your nano, I highly recommend looking into one. Dave hand builds these units and can customize quite a bit.

Updated tank specs below:

Tank: Fluval Chi 5g (Low Tech)
Filter: ZooMed 501
Lighting: Nano Box Flare
Substrate: Seachem Eco-Complete
Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 50w, set to 74 degrees
Ferts: Flourish tabs and Flourish Excel
Flora: Marsilea Minuta, Anubias nana 'Petite', Peacock moss, Rotala rotundifolia
Fauna: Celestial Pearl Danios (2), RCS (6 + babies), Amano (1), Rili Reds (2)
Future Plans: GLA CO2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode