DIY Rex Reactor finally set up! Here are the pics :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Rex Reactor finally set up! Here are the pics :)

Took me a while to get the stuff together but its finally all done.
The reactor itself was very easy to build. I used a simplified design because i didnt want to spend too much on fittings. Installing it was a pain in the butt. Had to redo all my piping and modify my hood a bit, cause its a Jebo style plastic hood which used to have its own wet/dry filter. Here is the reactor put together:

All the equipment goes inside the 24gallon tank cabinet, which isnt all that big so its kinda crammed in, but i think i did a good job laying it all out. Here is the pic of it all. Reactor, filter, co2 cylinder.

And this is just the reactor and co2 side of it. You can see the reactor in the back left hand corner. Its held upright by cable ties to the cabinet.

Here is the Dupla bubble counter i bought. I gotta say its not the best thing ever. Far from it :S But i decided to use it anyway. I had to return two of these before cause they were leaking. Just behind the counter you can see the Clippard brass check valve. I put it there instead of before the solenoid because i wanted the water pressure to stop before it reached the bubble counter. I didnt want the checkvalve to work, and then have the bubble counter break and dump the contents of my tank onto the floor. I think its safest to put it where i have it at the moment.

Like i said the bubble counter isnt all that good. It comes with a built in check valve (circled on top). But i put another plastic one under it (circled at the bottom). Just incase the first one failed, i didnt want water going into the solenoid. The plastic valve should be fine for this as there should be no back pressure from the bubble counter anyway (bar gravity) due to the brass check valve before reactor.

And thats it. There are some little bubbles coming out from the outlet, but i'll live with that. Its probably because i dumped a lot of co2 into reactor to start of with. Plus i cant fit a taller reactor inside the cabinet. Anyways, thanks Rex for the design of the reactor and answering my Q's. Thanks to AussieTanker for giving me info on where to buy the parts here in Sydney. And also thanks to everyone that helped out in that Rex Reactor thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

I've also noticed that my filter output has been reduced drastically. But im not sure how much of that has to do with reactor, because i've also added lots of filter wool to my canister. Basically taken out one of the 4 compartments, and filled it entirely with wool.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice setup man. Now all you need is the ph controller

I will be ordering the full dupla co2 kit. Regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, check valve and ph controller. I cant get this stuff here in NZ, so will be getting it sent over by a friend in oz. Will scource the bottle locally. Already got the s reactor.

Other than the bubble counter leaking, Have you had any problems with the gear?
Is the needle valve on the regulator ok?
Dont mean to hijack your thread, but this info would be a great help.
Thanks man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks great. yup, my reactor was also inspired by Rex's reactor and others. kinda took what i liked about a couple of them and stuck them together. It's great to see people share their knowledge and experience... it really helps the rest of us.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice clean install.
I really like seeing how everyone else sets up their gear in similar, but slightly different ways. Maybe I'll start a thread asking folks to post only what is under their stands...

Just wondering - why the towel under the reactor and the dish under the filter? Are those temporary for a recent install? Or are you worried about or anticipating leaking/condensation...?

Also, what made you choose the Dupla bubble counter, instead of DIY?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
Nice clean install.
I really like seeing how everyone else sets up their gear in similar, but slightly different ways. Maybe I'll start a thread asking folks to post only what is under their stands...

Just wondering - why the towel under the reactor and the dish under the filter? Are those temporary for a recent install? Or are you worried about or anticipating leaking/condensation...?

Also, what made you choose the Dupla bubble counter, instead of DIY?
I have a plate under one of my reactors too. Both leaked a tiny bit when I first fired them up, but each healed shortly. I just never removed that plate, incase it starts dripping again. One is not suppose to use teflon tape with PVC to PVC, but I didn't know that at the time. Ditto. Very clean install. Wish my under cabinet looked that tidy. Your clippard is where I put mine , right before the bubble counter. Rex helped me with my first reactor at another forum. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

The bowl under the filter is just there for piece of mind mainly. And if there is minor spills when i unplug the hoses to clean. The towel under the reactor was there just incase it leaked. and guess what.. its leaking a tiny I'm gonna let it run a few hours, with a plastic bag around it. then im going to take out the reactor and see where its leaking. I'll either paste PVC glue over it and let it dry for a day, or i'll check that bit off and add a new fitting. Im guessing its the bottom fitting, cause that accidentally twisted after i put in the glue. Kinda sucks, but nothign ever goes flawlessly for me. hehe.

The dupla counter i got because i didnt trust myself with making my own. I was scared that i wont make it airtight enough, and thus it would leak Co2 without me every knowing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Okay, just checked, the glued fitting wasnt leaking. It was leaking from the threaded barb attachment. So i removed it and added about 5 layers of teflon tape over the thread. Then re-screwed in. Hopefully thats fixed it. If that doesnt work, i'm just going to put glue over the thread then screw it shut permanently Also, the micro bubbles that were coming out before, they stopped over time
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [RK]
Okay, just checked, the glued fitting wasnt leaking. It was leaking from the threaded barb attachment. So i removed it and added about 5 layers of teflon tape over the thread. Then re-screwed in. Hopefully thats fixed it. If that doesnt work, i'm just going to put glue over the thread then screw it shut permanently Also, the micro bubbles that were coming out before, they stopped over time
I talked to some folks in the know at a hardware store. PVC to PVC fittings should not have teflon tape is what I found out. That can cause a leak and has for me... I've had two reactors (well actually three) leak on me, because I used teflon tape. And more than one layer will exacerbate the problem.

If its a tiny very slow leak, it may well "heal" after 3 or 4 days to a week. That has been my experience at least. So maybe, if that tape didn't do it, let it stand for a while and it might fix itself. I think after a while the plastic gets coated with film or bacteria and it sort of globs up enough resistance to stop a micro leak. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Oh okay. Thanks for that info. I'll let this one run for a while and see how things go. I better put a plastic bag over it again, incase it does leak. hehe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:00 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
When I asked the folks here, it was recommended that I use teflon tape on the conections I didn't glue.

BTW - just got back from The Container Store w/ $20 worth of shelves, jars, etc.
So I'm gonna neaten my stuff up and start that thread I was threatening!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My understanding is teflon tape is for metal threads (MPT) to PVC, not PVC to PVC. Alot of folks think it is standard, but I think a plumber or septic expert will tell you this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
When I asked the folks here, it was recommended that I use teflon tape on the conections I didn't glue.

BTW - just got back from The Container Store w/ $20 worth of shelves, jars, etc.
So I'm gonna neaten my stuff up and start that thread I was threatening!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode