Just Starting 135 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just Starting 135

This is going to be a planted community discus tank. We're trying to keep it looking South American but it isn't intended to be a biotope so we're taking lots of liberties (rocks, java fern, etc.). We also want to keep a fairly open design with some bare substrate for the discus. Here are the first photos:

Since the photos were taken I've replaced some of the rocks with driftwood to give it a more balanced look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks great! keep us updated on the pictures..

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Awesome start, once it fills in you will have plenty of plant cover plus alot of swimming room.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM

I really like it! Might need an attention getter on the right hand side or something to re-direct the interest on the left, back to the center. It just seems that my eyes keep getting pulled off the left hand side of the tank.

Great tank!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
WOW! Great Start! That driftwood looks stunning in that tank, caught my eye immediately. Once those swords grow in, oh man, you're gonna have problems! I look forward toward to more updated pictures! Freakin AWESOME!

Keep it Poppin!

the KIDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
WOW. it really does look like you are off to a greatt start.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
What fixture do you have on that tank?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 AM

When I look at that picture, my eyes immediately fall upon the vallisneria, swords, and driftwood in the right corner- and the affect is stunning! I then see the left side, but my eyes are drawn back to the right side. Keep up the great work .

It seems to be AGA quality! Once you have discus in there, and maybe some cardinal tetras and cories, it will be "fintastic"! LOL!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to otter
I wish my tank would have started off looking that great... mine's just a jumbled mess! I'm just not artistic enough. I need to copy someone elses layout for starters.. is that lame?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the compliments and feedback.

It took a lot of time to get the tank to look this way. Sometimes my hands were in the water so much that I started to prune. My wife and I also spent a lot of time looking at websites and flipping through library books to find out what we liked. Its not there yet but we're really pleased with the way its shaping up.

We've already got some fish in quaratine that we'll be moving into the big tank pretty soon. The rams have already started laying eggs in the quaratine tank.

We're planning on purchasing the discus after Christmas. This site has been a lot of help so far. Thanks again.

PS we're using 2x Coralife 36" CFs for light fixtures.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
nice tank
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Making Babies

Its been a while since we posted and a lot has happened since. I built a cabinet around our metal stand while I was on Christmas vacation. Its made out of maple and uses magnets to attatch itself to the metal frame:

The aquascape hasn't changed very much since our last post. The Echinodorus Beleheri lost most of their leaves because they were grown out of water and we had a brief fight with green water. So while we were waiting for the plants to bounce back we started adding some fish and our Blue Rams spawned in about 2 weeks:

We also have a couple of Discus sitting in the quarantine tank waiting to be moved over. They're all eating and are *very* curious, interactive, photogenic fish. The next week or so will be spent adding and removing fish to/from the big tank in order to achieve a mix we're happy with.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Been a while

Here is an updated picture of our 135 gallon:

Since our last posted we've added some dim purple lighting to create artificial dusks and dawns. We've also started adding driftwood to simulate overhanging branches.

The sword plants lost all of their leaves now and new growth is slow. I miss the fullness that the tank used to have. The new leaves are more slender but I like them too.

We've also started experimenting with more fish and so far we think Discus with yellow or red look best in this tank (such as a Melon). Blue Rams seem to be a very good tank-mate too and all the fish are coexisting peacefully at the moment. We tried some Congo Tetras but they were too busy so we took them out.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to joestreich
now that is a tank that i could just sit and watch for awhile
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:42 AM
TAM

the tank looks lovely, and I really like the "stand cover" you built. Sharp finish.

TAM

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode