eds' tanks (updated pics 020406) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
eds' tanks (updated pics 020406)

Please humor me in my first efforts with a digital camera.
The least we can hope is that the photo quality will improve - if the tanks themselves don't!

First, here's my 30.

I think of this as my "mellow" tank. It sits in our main floor family room. Reasonably low light, and easy to grow plants - anubias, crypts, java fern, dwarf sag, some bacopa, wisteria, and a couple of corkscrew vals.

Inhabitants are a pair of blue rams, a few otos and glowlights, 3 julii cats, and an albino bristlenose.

Last edited by eds; 02-04-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
eds

And here's my recent project - the 55 in my basement.
I'll be putting in a bunch of different plants next week, so think of these essentially as "before" pics.

My stand has two small cabinets flanking an open-shelved center section.
So I had to do a bit of planning to cram everything in there.
Note the fancy purple striping on the slightly modified Rex Grigg (TM) reactor!

Inhabitants are 5 angels, small schools of serpae and redeyes, 4 schwartzii cats, and a dwarf bristlenose.

Most of the plants are remainders from the initial planting of algae busters.
I did some major thinning out to get rid of algae and to make room for the plants I have coming in Tuesday.

I've been having problems with black fuzz algae in this tank.
Still new to these high-powered lights and pressurized CO2, and have ferts in transit from Greg.
Think that wood is at least contributing to my problems.
I found it in a lake up in Michigan, but I fear it is pine and will need to go.

I'll post more after next week's replanting.
Also, I'll haul the camera into work and get some shots of my office nano.

I guess now that I've posted photographic evidence, I'll have to quit posting in other threads like I know anything about this hobby, huh?
I can blame the camera for at least a little while, can't I?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
That tea bottle is the largest bubble counter I've ever seen!!

The "after" shot of the 55 should be pretty nice sometime in the next few weeks! I'm still working on a little "guide" to give you. I'll probably just print some stuff out and send it to you in the package.

Three tanks!! My GF is already jealous of my main one! Not to mention she's already started bickering about the discus and how they will take time away from her!! I'm breaking down that 29g so she'll never know it was set up!! HAHA I'm a sneaky ba$tard!!

Here's my excuse if it still stays somewhat set up..."Ummm...its a quarantine tank...for YOUR cories!!" (she thinks they're cute??)

Re-boot!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice to see the sword is doing well for you. Thanks for the post.

You should have some flowers in a couple of weeks. Plantlets soon to follow.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I was wondering what that was. Tea bottle bubble counters. You better patent that. Seriously, your tanks look great. Loved the crypts and fern and such in the "mellow" tank. Super clean and clear. Did you algae scrape before the pictures. Just kidding. Nice job!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
eds

Thanks for the comments.
I'm addicted to that stuff, and when I was hooking up my CO2 it was the only bottle I had around! The large cap made drilling a snap, tho.
I took those pics on a Sat eve, and had done my weekly maintenance that a.m., so the tanks were about as clean as they get. As I said, I've been having a bit of problem with black fuzz in the 55, so I had pulled any plants showing a hint of the stuff.
I'm trolling over at aquatic-photography for photo tips. Anyone around here have any basics to impart to a complete camera naif?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
I'm trolling over at aquatic-photography for photo tips. Anyone around here have any basics to impart to a complete camera naif?
Turn off all lights in the room (looks like you already did that). No flash. Check your white balance on the camera (may be able to adjust it to compensate for the light bulb color). Tripod. Set camera on a delay. That's what I do. My digi claims to have a decent macro function, but I haven't figured it out yet (Canon A500).

Re-boot!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
eds

I'll pull out the tripod.
Saw references in the manual to "white balance", but haven't fiddled with that yet. I'll check that out tonight.
The other features I guess I'll have to learn about are shutter speed and aperture.
But I didn't want to just start twisting knobs and pressing buttons without a plan.
Also, will my camera (Canon 350 Rebel XT) "reset" to a certain status/mode when I turn it off?
I don't want to experiment with different settings for my tank pics, and then screw the camera up so that we can't take family shots over the holidays.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Usually an "auto" white balance works pretty well with 6500k lamps. But every camera is different, just experiment around. And for that matter every monitor is different,,, LCD, CRT... Are they set to ICC color profiles with a monitor puck and a colorimeter program? Most certainly aren't. CRTs will show resolution better than consumer grade LCDs, and LCDs colors will certainly pop more. We are in the infancy of a monitor revolution at this time. Its all over the place, just like PCs were back in the early '80s.

FWIW, your pics looked fine on my little latemodel HP notebook.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Are they set to ICC color profiles with a monitor puck and a colorimeter program?
Well, if you aren't even going to speak to me in English...!

So, if I understand you correctly, my best option is to get a crappier computer, thereby I can say my pix look "as good as the technology will permit"?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
eds

Well, thanks to Ed, I had my dance card filled tonight:

Here's a lousy before picture:

And here's a lousy after picture:

That ET had better come in, and them damn cories had better stop rooting around in it!

I'm exhausted - heading to bed.
I'll let you know what I planted where - and take some better pics - tomorrow.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
eds

I'll post some better pics soon, but wanted to get your opinions on my planting scheme.

First I'll try to explain what I was trying to accomplish, and then I'll identify the various plants.
Since the wood is on the left and kinda "flows" to the right, I thought I would mirror that with a tall, dense left side flowing to a shorter and more open right.
On the right, however, I'm toying with the idea of featuring a triangle of 3 "specimens" - 2 swords and a lotus. But I imagine the 3 of these may get too large for my tank.

The left rear corner is Limnophlia aromatica, with stargrass in front of it and closer to the wood.
A couple of pogostemon stellata in front of the stargrass and just behind the horizontal branch of the wood, with corkscrew vals to the left of that and in front of the L. aromatica.
Just behind the left tip of the wood is a nympoides 'taiwan.'

In front of the wood is a small bed of elatine trianda, from the front left corner across to a ludwiga brevipes.

This pic shows the bed of elatine trianda (ET) resuming to the right of the l. brevipes; it continues, getting broader and flowing into the open area on the right.
Tucked into the corner between this bed of ET and the wood are 3 stems of polygonum.
Immediately behind the ET and in front of the right horizontal branch, is a line of lobelia cardinalis.

Along the rear of the tank, immediately to the right of the wood is a good sized clump of rotala indica.
In front of the rotala are several stems of bacopa 'araguaia.'
Continuing across the back to the right are parrot's feather, ludwiga repens, cabomba, with watersprite in the right rear corner.

Placed in a triangle on the right side are an Amazon sword (back center point of the triangle), red ozelot sword (left front corner - behind wood), and a red tiger lotus (far front right corner of tank).

On the right side of the tank, between the watersprite and tiger lotus, is some pennywort.
And a strand of green ludwiga repens is between the two rocks on the right.

Oh yeah - can't forget the floating frogbit.

I know this scape is a mite "busy" (14 species I believe) - I fully expect I will reduce the number of species as the plants mature.
I'd love to hear any thoughts any of you might have about my planting scheme, as well as how I might best care for these plants.

While the plants get acclimated, I cut the lighting down to 10 hours, and only 1 pair of 65w bulbs.
I didn't fertilize yesterday, as I stirred up the substrate a bit (including at least 1 Jobes stick). Figured tonight I would test NO3 and PO4, and most likely do a 20% water change and dose macros.

Any other thoughts?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

hehe looks like you finally got everything crammed in there

Its a good plan...I'd say let everything grow out...see what the individual species' growth rates are, how they color up for you, etc and then decide what to keep, what to trade/chunk.

For my purposes, I always try to put my relatively fast growing stems toward the back since they'll provide a nice background..even with trimming neglect. Lobelia, Ludwigia (borderline background plants), and Polygonum I try to keep pruned for the midground...then the E. trianda in the foreground.

Re-boot!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lookin good eds...
Like GD said, let it grow in a bit and it will start to look all different and then you can make your decisions. I will guarantee that you will find that one plant will become a favorite and one plant will become hated !
Quite the plant assortment , theres a couple of tuffies in that list, well for me anyways. I love the look of triandra but cant grow it to save my life. They say it grows like a weed...well, not for me in two attempts.

This tank should fill in nice..I like it so far !
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
eds

A couple of shots of the 55 1 week post-replant, and 1 week slightly less ignorant @ my camera!

A couple of closeups of the left:

and the right:

The plant that took the biggest hit was the stargrass - and the limnophlia a. isn't exactly growing by leaps and bounds.

This end shot is actually in focus enough to see a cory, and a new leaf on the nymp. 'taiwan':

Increased lighting to give 2 hours of 260w.
Nitrates are coming down, so I'm dosing normal EI.
As of measurement tonight, CO2 is down to 21 ppm, so I'll crank that baby up a bit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode