PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to dharris
My new planted 29g

What do you think so far?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:06 PM

You need many more plants!!! More plants yes.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

many more plants to come.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Good start. You'll need some lights and some more plants soon. Start with fast growing stem plants or something easily manageable. If/when you do get your first bout of algae in the tank you'll want something easily trimmed/cleaned. Stay away from mosses and small foreground plants in the beginning because they are a PITA to clean..

Aesthetically, I believe those little rocks aren't going to stand out very much once you get some plants growing in there. You may want to try and find something a little larger to anchor the tank or use speciman plants as such.

I like the dark substrate and I think that with a black background the colors in the tank will be very striking once you get some plants in there.

Keep us posted, I love seeing how others progress with their tanks.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston
Good start. You'll need some lights and some more plants soon. Start with fast growing stem plants or something easily manageable. If/when you do get your first bout of algae in the tank you'll want something easily trimmed/cleaned. Stay away from mosses and small foreground plants in the beginning because they are a PITA to clean..

Aesthetically, I believe those little rocks aren't going to stand out very much once you get some plants growing in there. You may want to try and find something a little larger to anchor the tank or use speciman plants as such.

I like the dark substrate and I think that with a black background the colors in the tank will be very striking once you get some plants in there.

Keep us posted, I love seeing how others progress with their tanks.
Thank you so much!
Lighting on this tank is Coralife 6700k 65watt power compact. Plants that need light will be planted in the center where the intensity equals roughly 3 watts per gallon.
Substrate is Eco Complete capped with black gravel.
Filter - Fluval 404
Heater - 250 watts (too much you say, I live in Reno where the temps can get very low. House temp is around 65-68 all fall, winter and most of spring). Not to mention, already had one in the garage.
C02 - Hagen (soon to come).
Fish - misc. Teras. and Oto's
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If I'm getting new plant growth, is that a good sign of water quality? I have had my tank running roughly 13 days now. I have three plants, two java ferns and one amazon sword along with two baby zebra danios (coming out soon). I tested today and have readings of; ammonia - 0 and Nitrite - 0. I am now starting to see brown algae, can I now add a couple Oto's?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a slow process up till this point. My Java Ferns are growing like crazy and have already produce one more Fern that's on the driftwood. I'm about to harvest two more baby JF's. The Anacharis are all from trimmed store bought plants. Once the store bought plants grew, they got much thinner. Needless to say the Anacharis grow very fast. The Bacopa Monneri is growing slow, but growing. The Amazon Swords are split from one bunch; these are growing slow as well. The driftwood I bought turned the water somewhat brown and yellow. I added some AC to hopefully remove the discoloration. Hope you enjoy my update.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Im proving. But I dont think the substrate will provide any nutrients for the plants to grow...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're taking GREAT photographs!

You might consider grouping your like plants together, especially the stem plants. They tend to be much more dramatic that way. Same goes for the wood, and placing it off center (rule of thirds) might ease the tension in the tank because right now my eyes are darting side to side, seeking a focal point. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Here's a tank that demonstrates what I'm talking about that will make you drool. It's on this forum somewhere too. You're off to a great start!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Well done. It's looking very nice. Your photo taking skills are impecable. A background can help bring out your plants even further after your group them together. Cool hood, did you build that yourself? How are you mounting your coralife?

Keep it Poppin!

the KK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideofLIfe
Im proving. But I dont think the substrate will provide any nutrients for the plants to grow...

My substrate is Eco Complete capped with gravel.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy
You're taking GREAT photographs!

You might consider grouping your like plants together, especially the stem plants. They tend to be much more dramatic that way. Same goes for the wood, and placing it off center (rule of thirds) might ease the tension in the tank because right now my eyes are darting side to side, seeking a focal point. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Here's a tank that demonstrates what I'm talking about that will make you drool. It's on this forum somewhere too. You're off to a great start!
Thanks for the kind words. Please excuse my ignorance; I am still a beginner plant aquarist. Which plants of mine are stem plants?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykidd86
Well done. It's looking very nice. Your photo taking skills are impecable. A background can help bring out your plants even further after your group them together. Cool hood, did you build that yourself? How are you mounting your coralife?

Keep it Poppin!

the KK
Thanks Krazykidd86 for the nice compliment on my photography.

I plan on adding a background soon. My lighting is not mounted, it simply sits on top of the glass.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
looking good! You, me, and Banderbe are all setting up 29 gallons around the same time. It will be fun to see how each of the tanks progress and learn from each other. I'll be starting a journal of my own pretty soon.

Your photographs are so sharp, I feel like I'm looking right into your tank with my nose against the glass. Good job!

Eheim Pimp #173

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowagon
looking good! You, me, and Banderbe are all setting up 29 gallons around the same time. It will be fun to see how each of the tanks progress and learn from each other. I'll be starting a journal of my own pretty soon.

Your photographs are so sharp, I feel like I'm looking right into your tank with my nose against the glass. Good job!

Thanks for the compliment. If you are interested,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a318/dharris1969/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode