55gal planted tank try! (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
55gal planted tank try! (56k warning)

Hello Everyone!,

I have been reading this forum for quite a while, and have had planted auqaruims before, but this is my first try with compressed Co2, mid to high lighting, and Florite substrate. To start off with this was a plan to settup a Oceanic 110 show(48"x18"x30")that I had gotten for a steel, but with a very bad back I couldn't SAFELY work on it so I had to sell it! SUX A BIG ONE! So I got a new 55gal tank and stand, and set it up with a Fluval 204, a deep substrate of Florite, Otto computherm 200 watt heater, and filled to with R/O water. The 204 was off another tank so it allready has Bact. growing on the boi rings. The fish are from the 110 and are 3 Terq. Rainbows, 3 Red Rainbows, 3 German rams, 2 Oto cats, 1 Bristle nose plec, 4 Silver Hatchets, 3 Cherrie Barbs(for hair alge control), and 2 Albino Cory Cats. I have a 5lb Co2 tank with dual Regulator from BeverageBarn. For now I have a shop light with Life Glow2 bulbs, and 2 55watt PC retro kit that I installed in the light hoods that came with the tank. I also have a Tetra 18watt UV ster. that is from a pond settup, but hey it still works!! LOL The plants I am starting this tank up with are Corkscrew Vals and a couple of bairly alive amazon swords left from the 110, and a little Java fern from a another tank,also got some Red Lug from LFS.

I am only running the 2 40watt bulbs for now, as I still need to get my Co2 reactor settup. I am also thinking of swapping out the rainbows and hatchets at the LFS for a group of cardnal tetras and Angles. I have been keeping aquariums for over 20 years, but have never done plants due to the water being the way it is! Our water comes out of the tap as liquid lime stone, and due to the upriver dairy farms there is a huge ammounts of organics!! after keeping Saltwater tanks for a long while I was tired of the expense!! WOW $$ I know that a planted setup is not the cheapest thing to setup, but it is really only the upfront cost, mostly.LOL

I know that I am going to need a lot of help when it comes to doseing ferts, but I think thats a few weeks off, so please give me all the feedback you want, as I am unsure of myself getting into this.

Thanks for the help,
Drew

P.S. I will post pics tomorrow as the lights are off at this time!

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 11-27-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sounds like you are solid, minus the lighting. And, in truth, even 80w over a 55g isn't going to be ridiculously low. You'll get by fine with that for the time being. But, if you are hoping for one of those "super green" tanks, yes, you'll need a bit more "umph" over the top.

Look forward to reading your jounal. Sounds like you have a bit of geographic/geologic obstacles to overcome. LL the RO unit!!

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

pics (56k warning)

Here are the pics of the 55gal that was setup a few days ago!(56k warning)

Let me know what you all think!

Drew

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PLEASE IGNORE the sheet over the front of the light strip!! LOL it was messing with my camera!

Drew
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not bad. Looks like vals, ludwigia....maybe a crypt or two. Good choices. If you have a bit more $$, I highly recommend you pick up some hygro, ambulia, or another fast-growing stem plant. I have a feeling that beautiful piece of driftwood will soon be covered in algae if you don't get some more plants in the tank.

Sweet fish selection. I haven't kept hatchets in years. I miss them, but since I prefer open-top tanks, they would be a no-no.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Uni,

Thanks for the response! I had A LOT of wistera when everything was in the 110, and it took over one whole side of the tank. I meen when it took over one whole side i MEEN 1 whole side front to back and was all the way to the top of the water30"! The stems were as big around as a #2 pencil!! LOL I DIDN'T want to put it in this tank due to its size, so I gave it to LFS.

As for the drift wood it was a HUGE find! It is actually 2 peices. The front "leg" is attached to make a cave for the Bistlenose. I used a 1/4" drill to bore a hole through the side of the large peice and into the top of the "leg", and then drove a 1/4" oak dowel to fit them together.

I might try some of the plant, i can't remember the name of it, but it has the small leaves that are tear drop shaped and 4 leaves around the stem per "ring", and is light green till it reaches the upper part of the aquarium and it turns light pink. The LFS has a few bundles that are just sitting in their display tank. Do you think they would work?

I will find the name and post it asap.

Thanks
Drew
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The first pics were taken on 11/27/2005 and these pics were taken today 12/07/2005.

There has been some ok growth, but Co2 has only been up and running with new reactor for 4 days. Will post more pics next week.

Thanks for looking!,
Drew
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[IMG][/IMG]Here are some more pics that I took today( 12/24/2005). The red ludg. is growing super fast! It turned out to be 2 different types, but I am unsure of which ones they are. I need to search to figure out what I have. Also there is no aqua scape as of rite now, as I am letting everything settle in! I am wanting to get some more jave fern, and some anubias nana to go around the base of the stump.

Any help would be great!!
Thanks,
Drew

P.S. I am trying to figure out my settings to get the correct color on my digital camera, so be patient! LOL
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 03:11 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
grew in very nice, i like the wood, too. im thinking of picking up some albino bristle nose plec's, do they like the driftwood?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my standard bri. nose plec LOVES IT!!!!!! Stays almost compleatly on it! Keeps it very clean!

thanks for the reply!
Drew
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New pics of the 55! I have had to trim back the lud. as it was shading out the other plants. I also got a couple of bundles of cabomba(sp?), 3 anubias nana plants, 2 java ferns, and a Bamboo shrimp! The ludw. has overgrown the corkscrew val.!! I also now have 2 NEW 8,800k 65watt power compacts! I have removed the shoplight fixture, and I am only running the 2 65w. PC. The plants seem to LOVE THEM! Constant pearling!! Anyway here are the new pics.

Comments are more than wanted!
Drew

P.S. I am still unsure of what direction I want to go with, or even what plants I want to end up with! So if you have a thought please ket me know!
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Boxxer, how long have you had the woodshrimp. That is one species I've had trouble keeping alive (maybe 3-4 months, then croaksville).

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I LOVE and I meen LOVE that peice of wood on the right. IS that thing real because that tunnel it makes is to nice.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:28 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks great, love the red and green contrast. Really nice wood peice on the right, too. I'm also curious: is it real? Where did you find it?

Have you been thinking at all about a low-growing foreground?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
thats a great piece of wood (right side) . . where did you find that ??

Tak

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode