Rookie 55 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
Rookie 55

Here is my 55. I am both a rookie with plants and the camara so suggestions are welcome. Right now I am still in the learn how to grow the plants phase and not really focused on the aquascape. I am going to have to do something whith the glosso. I may just get rid of it and let the sag go across the tank.

I just got a new camara a Canon S21. I just did a point and shoot. I think I take better pictures with it though. I have a lot to learn haha.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1984  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great start for a 'rookie' only change I would really make is changeing it to a black background. Looks like it is time for a little trim too

What are the specs for the tank? Co2? Lighting? -im guessing its in the sig?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
The tank looks great, thanks for posting a picture the quality of the Canon S1 seems pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing more pictures taken with the camera!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I been going to get a black background. The one back there now is the one I had laying around from fish only. I think a black one will look better too. What is good to use that will be black and take some water?

Rick
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

a good thing i have found for a black cover is the under tank matt - my local shop has one made from neoprene but it does not absorb water at all and it is very cheap about 3 english pounds for 100cm X 50

I like your tank - a question please? what is the plant at the back middle it has some colour red? and what are the plants back left/right?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your LFS should have something, 55gal is a standard size so it shouldn't be hard to find. ~$5-$9

Retired 2003
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567
a good thing i have found for a black cover is the under tank matt - my local shop has one made from neoprene but it does not absorb water at all and it is very cheap about 3 english pounds for 100cm X 50

I like your tank - a question please? what is the plant at the back middle it has some colour red? and what are the plants back left/right?
On the left back is Mexican oak. It grows like a weed. In the middle is Limnophila Aromatica it is a very nice plant the picture is bad. I will try and take another later for it. On the right Sunset Hygro. I am using the mexican oak for bio mass untill the L. aromatica grows out some more. L. A grows pretty slow in my tank.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:42 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that a blue gourami and betta?

Bettas tend to be agressive towards gouramis, and vice versa.

Looks nice otherwise . I have a lot to learn about this plant world... Seems like nobody follows standard stocking rules .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 06:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfishcrazy11
Is that a blue gourami and betta?
Bettas tend to be agressive towards gouramis, and vice versa.
I have this combo and works fine...Betta will flare up and the gourami just looks at him and the betta just swims away lol .
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I have two groumies and a beta no issues at all. I have had singlea betta in my comunity tanks for years with not problems. I hear if you have two bettas they will try and kill each other though.

Rick
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:38 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Does it bug anyone else when someone comes on here describing themselves as a newbie, and shares a tank that looks this nice?!

Looks like you are doing pretty well on the - learn how to grow plants - phase. Looks clean, with no algae to be seen.

From that picture, it looks like it could use a little more color other than bright green, but perhaps the image is washed out and doesn't show the variety you have. I would recommend against expanding that dwarf sag across the front - if that is what you are suggesting. Will emphasize the length and narrowness of the 55.

At this point, I anticipate the tank will just look better and batter as you trim back some of the masses you currently have (i.e. the 2 back corners) and replace with some more interesting specimens.

I'll enjoy following your tank, as I have a 55 with the same filter, nearly the same light, and am in the process of setting up pressurized CO2.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
Does it bug anyone else when someone comes on here describing themselves as a newbie, and shares a tank that looks this nice?!

From that picture, it looks like it could use a little more color other than bright green, but perhaps the image is washed out and doesn't show the variety you have. I would recommend against expanding that dwarf sag across the front - if that is what you are suggesting. Will emphasize the length and narrowness of the 55.

At this point, I anticipate the tank will just look better and batter as you trim back some of the masses you currently have (i.e. the 2 back corners) and replace with some more interesting specimens.

I'll enjoy following your tank, as I have a 55 with the same filter, nearly the same light, and am in the process of setting up pressurized CO2.
Yes I can use some more color for sure. I orginally bought some other types of plants but I ended up pruning them all to nothing because of algae while I was learning. I am using the the mexican oak primarily as a bio mass. I intend to replace most of it with the L. A.

Good point on the sag and the shallow depth of the 55. I guess I will rethink that. I will watch the swap forum for some clover then. I don't care for the glosso. It will be too much work to keep it looking nice.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon
Good point on the sag and the shallow depth of the 55. I guess I will rethink that. I will watch the swap forum for some clover then. I don't care for the glosso. It will be too much work to keep it looking nice.
You could also go with dwarf hairgrass, since you can trim it down to whatever height you want to keep it at.

Retired 2003

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode