10G Transformation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
10G Transformation

Hello all,

After reading these forums with much interest for a few months now, I finally decided to go to the next level with my 10G aquarium. I started this tank with all my childhood assumptions of what a fish tank should be: colorful gravel, sunken ships, bubbling air stones, plastic plants, etc.

As I discovered that I really enjoy keeping fish, and reading these forums and seeing everyones beautiful tanks, I knew I had to do something about my ugly tank, so I decided to change my weird orange gravel to a flourite/sand substrate and put in a nice piece of bogwood. Here is a slideshow of the transformation:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brianh...=/fdfc&.src=ph

Well, I certainly have some more learning to do about the individual plants Ive put in there, but its definitely a start. The transformation has really surprised me, the 10G tank seems much larger now, and the fish generally seem happier, the Cories can now sift around in the sand.

My next task will be to design the planting a little more, and try to find a more appropriate mix of plants, right now I just got whatever seemed interesting at the fish store. Your comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Brian

Specs:
Size: 10 Gallon
Substrate: Flourite with sand
Filter: Penguin 100
Heater: 50W Tronic (Set to 77F)
Lighting: (1) 15W T6 Lamp, 7000K (12 hours/day)
Running one ceramic air stone at night
Adding Flourish Excel daily for now
Plants: Anacharis, Java Fern, Radican Sword, Bacopa, Crimson Ivy (red/green)
Fish: 1 Betta, 1 Oto, 2 Cories, 2 Platies, 2 Guppies, 1 Molly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

It certainly is a big improvement.
Here are some online galleries you can look at to get ideas on how you can further improve on your tank -

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi
http://www.adaeuro.com/gallery.asp
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links, there are a lot of nice tanks on those web pages.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 04:59 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
keep up the good work I liked the slide show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
the tank looks great now it it went throught qoute the change muck like my 10 - 20 gallon transformation ! one think i could add is you might try to add some more lighting to it if you want to get some better plant groth i had a 15 watt light on my 20 gallon and all of my plants melted except the java fern
how long have you had the lights on there with the plants before the transformation? if theres already suffcient ( sp? ) plant groth then dont mess with it! i went to a 55 watt pc and had a total algae breakout also have you thought of any carpet plants or some red plants for some colour? the transformation looks great loved the slide show ! keep up the good work!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I've been looking for a new 20" fixture that will house two bulbs so I can increase the lighting, but haven't found anything yet. Its been about a week now since the change and the plants don't seem to be taking off like I had hoped. Any recommendations for a suitable carpet plant that would work with the sand?

Also, I have some "crimson ivy" (that's what my book called it anyway), its green on top and reddish underneath the leaves, its on the left in the pictures, but I get what your saying.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

update

Today I ordered the 20" Satellite 1x40W SunPaq w/Lunar Light (Current) from thatpetplace.com which should fit nicely over my 10G. I also purchased a clear glass hood to replace my original black plastic hood. This will increase my lighting to 4 w/g. I also recently installed the Hagen CO2 system and the bubbles have been flowing nicely. I'm not sure if I need to run my air stone at night, the fish have looked fine so far. I have a bio-wheel on my filter so presumably this will cause enough surface agitation.

I am planning on doing a major replanting/redesign after I get all of this equipment up and running smoothly. I was thinking of using corckscrew vallis as the background, attach some java fern to the bogwood so as to conceal the cut edge, and try to grow some micro sword in the sand substrate. I also saw a nice Rotala Magenta which I thought I might use as an accent as its reddish.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The light and Co2 should help alot. Corkscrew vals and Java ferns are good plant choices. Did the crimson ivy die yet? It isn't a true aquatic but can last up to a year submersed.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Orange gravel lol
Nice transformation, good start...

Welcome to the dark side

Craig

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Beautiful!

I was digging through my aquarium supplies today, and came across my old multicolored glow in the dark plastic plants from my 1st tank. Hard to believe now I ever thought that looked good.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

The Crimson Ivy is still alive, but it doesn't look so great, I've had it for about two months now and while I first liked it I no longer do. The leaves are very wrinkled and it is constantly accumulating debris and sand. I'll probably remove it during the next replanting if I can't find room for it.

Also, I wonder about the proper "scale" of plants for a 10G tank, it seems the big leaf plants like Crimson Ivy and my Radican Sword are just too big a scale for such a small tank, any thoughts? That is why I was thinking of using Vallis and other smaller leaf plants.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Update: 12-30-05

Update: after adding new lighting/CO2 and doing a replanting things are starting too grow, though not as I had imagined

BEFORE 11-16-05

AFTER 12-13-05

TODAY 12-30-05

The new specs are:
Lighting: 20" Satellite 1x40W SunPaq with 10,000K/Blue Actinic bulbs (4 w/g)

I've been using a 2-hour siesta period in the afternoon, doesn't seem to work

CO2: Hagen CO2 system using supplied mixture

Fert: Dosing w/flourish twice a week, flourish excel twice/week

Modified Marineland power filter (took out carbon, replaced w/filter floss, slowed rotation of bio wheel and reduced surface agitation)

Plants:
Micro Sword, Corkscrew Vall, Java Fern, Cabomba, Rotala Magenta, ChainSword, Japanese Dwarf Rush

I think the real weakness in this tank is the power filter and the fertilizer dosing schedule...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:42 PM

I just gotta say: I L-O-V-E your fish!!! They're so FAT and healthy-looking. Makes me happy
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just gotta say: I L-O-V-E your fish!!! They're so FAT and healthy-looking. Makes me happy
Well, some of those fat fish are actually pregnant, as in two of my platies have turned my tank into a platy farm. Its time I transfered the male to another tank.

But seriously, if you look at my specs what do you think the current weakness of this tank is?

Current Specs:
Size: 10 Gallon
Substrate: Fluorite with sand
Filter: Marineland Penguin 100 (took out carbon, replaced w/filter floss, slowed rotation of bio wheel and reduced surface agitation)
Heater: 50W Tronic (Set to 77F)
Lighting: 20" Satellite 1x40W SunPaq with 10,000K/Blue Actinic bulbs (4 w/g)
Running one ceramic air stone at night
CO2: Hagen CO2 system using supplied mixture, adding Flourish Excel daily
Adding Flourish 2/week
Plants: Micro Sword, Corkscrew Vall, Java Fern, Cabomba, Rotala Magenta, ChainSword, Japanese Dwarf Rush
Fish: 1 Betta, 1 Oto, 2 Cories, 5 Platies, 1 Guppies, 1 Molly
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its looking alot better youve learned alot in the past few months the plants and scape have really devloped so far i dont see any weakness if thers a certan aspect such as plant growth thoes Actinic lights dont do much for plant growth and when they wear out i would deffinatly replace them or sooner notice the difference of blue light from the 3rd and 2nd pic. its a great idea to replace and modify the filter the air stone might be a small problem but it depends on the tank if at night your fish are close or on the surface gasping for air run the airstone if they are not dont run it, i dont on my twenty but my fish dont gasp.. if they did i would. i dont see any problem in the ferts i have less on my twenty and gwroth it pretty good. other than that no problems its really progressed keep it up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode