Aquasketches (formerly "60g") added a new painting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Aquasketches (formerly "60g") added a new painting

Ok, maybe not a real one, sorry to get hopes up. :P

This is an experiment for me as a graphic artist-- painting the aquascapes on the computer instead of dreaming of the day I can make them.

I have a sketch book full of different scape ideas, and I wanted to see them in more life. It took 4 hours oh photoshop to finish this, but I was sooo happy when it was done!

I'm thinking of making an online sketchbook devoted to sketches, photos, ideas, and paintings like this. If I did, and linked it to my sig, would people want to look at it? No sense in going through the effort if people don't want to see.

BTW-- what fish would you guys like to see in here? I was thinking cherry barbs . . . maybe harlequins . . .

Really don't want roseline sharks or cardinals though as they're so typical . . . though cardinals are easy to draw . . .

edit-- foreground is supposed to be utricularia, not riccia.

Last edited by Steven_Chong; 11-19-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Wow, thats pretty cool. I wish I could draw... I would look at the different scapes you create. It could give people a good idea for a new tank And I got your pm about the fissidens. I will let you know what would be a good day. -Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Heck yeah, that is very cool

|
|
|

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Great idea, I would love to see your art.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i would say make an online gallery of sketches. i have most of my sketches online for viewing, works out well.

As far as fish i could see cherry barbs and harlequins in there. maybe a different type of pleco like a clown or something.

What program did you use to draw that in?

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support everyone

This pic:

Started off in corel painter 8, then edited that in photoshop elements 3.0 (free-ware when you buy a drawing tablet)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I looked at it and thought "wow, what a great watercolor." That is amazing that it was done on the computer "free-hand."

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

free hand . . . heh heh

well there are a lot of tricks to this computer manipulation.

The first is to use "oil paint" in correl painter. This will give you more control than the actual water color options, and allow you to mix with other tools if necessary (water color can only be used with water color).

The water color effect can be gained by using the "water color" filter in photoshop. The only junk part is that you lose details-- my utricularia foreground now looks like HC!!

I also used some reference photos for the plants. I was looking at m. lemey's pics up on my screen when I was drawing the blyxa groups and stem plants. Oliver Knott's 2004 x-large tank is what I looked at for the stellatas. If you use the "dropper" tool, you can also suck up colors from another image so you can get the right color for the plants.

Massage your hands a lot-- they're gonna cramp. It's annoying to draw individual leaves but you won't get the shape and texture right without making your brush strokes imitate leaf shapes.

Finally, use your layers smart. This would be impossible without layers.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Parrot chiclids. That would be awsome. 2 of them and their fry.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice work! You may have some positive sucess by playing with the aspect ratio. For example a "lagoon" that is ~2 X wider and continues off into the distance would be dramatic. Also no need to draw the edge of the gravel. This is common in "dutch tanks" where the substrate line is hidden.

Moved to Tucson.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Ryzilla-- I think this scape is too delicate for larger fish, and not enough caves for cichlids. I like cichlids to have caves-- it's a pet peave of mine. Also, I prefer natural fish, and though there is a natural parrot cichlid, it is far too big for a tank like this.

BlueRam-- Thanks for the tip. Normally I wouldn't want to do a boring scape, but as this was my first time trying this I wanted to show everyone something closer to "normal." Also, I like drawing the substrate line!!

Here's a version with pencilfish:

Because of the small fish, I had to weaken the water-color filter which is why there's a bit more detail. Any suggestion for a better suited small fish?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:46 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
that is cool! mind if i steal the idea for my next tank?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

digital_ric, No problem, but under the condition that you don't use the design for any profit-type purpose, including contest entrances, unless you designate me as the designer. Sorry about that.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I want a series of prints like that for my fishroom walls! Seriously, well done. Perhaps you should look into selling that artwork as home decoration. My only critique is the smoothing of the right top corner, it looks chopped off. Did you say you used Corel Draw for this? My wife's a GD and might have fun doing something like this too.

The pencilfish go well with that tank.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger
Ryzilla-- I think this scape is too delicate for larger fish, and not enough caves for cichlids. I like cichlids to have caves-- it's a pet peave of mine. Also, I prefer natural fish, and though there is a natural parrot cichlid, it is far too big for a tank like this.
When I read the parrot fish idea I thought about some of the others, which would be cool. Why stop at cichlids when you could have clown fish, or a small shark...

First true attempt at a planted tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode