Sushistix's 55 Gallon (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sushistix's 55 Gallon (56k warning)

Hello everyone I recently changed my 55 gallon to accomodate my plants better. This is a pic of the tank before. I found that argonite does not help plant growth.

Here are some after pics after the changeover. Sorry about the quality I just got the camera last night and I'm new to digital, just need some more practice. Under the tank is a refugium I set-up about a month prior to the change so that when I changed the argonite to eco-complete I would still have bacteria in the fuge. All the fish and plants made the transition well and now the fuge adds more filtrationand is like a nano. There are fancy guppys, ghost, and bamboo shrimp in the fuge. The tank has been the new way for two weeks now and I just started having algea probs as you can see. Last night I added some oto's and they're working as we speak. Thanks for checking out my tank and I look forward to feedback.

The left side

The right side

The refugium

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:39 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like!
Of course, I'm a sucker for any tank with rams and rainbows!
What are your specs: light/CO2/ferts?
And when you get a chance, a plant list might complement your - um - nascent photo skills!
I like the wood placement, with the long angled piece over your rocks and the gnarly stump on the right. Is that piece on the right natural? Funky!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

My plants:
Dwarf Hairgrass
Amazon Swords (planted on the left side along the back and side yet to grow high enough to see)
Anubias Nana
Anubias Frazeri
Crypt"Brown"
Hygro
Red Ludwigia
Moneywort
Java Moss
In the refugium:
Anubias Nana
Java Moss
Amazon Sword

My Fish:
Blue Rams
Bolivian Rams
Rainbows
Rosy Barbs
Rummy Nose Tetras
Pristilla Tetras
Otos
In the refugium:
Fancy Guppies
Bamboo Shrimp
Ghost Shrimp
Lots of snails

I have 80 watts of light over it now and until I build a hood thats all that will fit. That is my next project after I modify my overflow box. I have two DIY CO2 reactors linked together. This is working well so I don't know if I will change to pressurized. I am still learning about ferts. Right now I just dose Flourish(comprehensive supplement).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like the hardscape
The lighting as you know could use a bump up but you chose the plants wisely for what you have. Your CO2 is fine with that light too. The plants dont look bad , it looks like the ludwigia is liking your lighting so far, I see new growth at the tops. More faster growing stem plants will help your algae situation out.
I have some hygro poly that will need a trimming soon and should do ok in that tank if you would like some stems to try. You aint that far away so Im sure we can figure something out if you are interested.

Good start on the tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Man - I didn't realize we got another member of the Connecticut mafia!
What is in the water out there?
If ever a state were disproportionately represented compared to its size...

And isn't it redundant or superfluous or something to observe that a fellow Connecticutarianite "ain't that far away"?

What is the plant that appears to be growing from the left end of the long slanted piece of wood? In the 2d and 4th photos.

In the 5th and 6th photos there is what looks like 2 leaves of anubias nana, and several smaller similar leaves. Behind the hairgrass. Are those smaller leaves all a. nana as well? Are you having some problems with algae on the a. nana?

What are you planning on doing about the algae?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Eds-
I think the plant you are seeing is moneywort. I just threw 5 otos in there and in one day they have made a huge difference.
Buck-
I just came back from home depot with wood for a hood and a shop light for another 60 watts. That will put me at 140 watts.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 01:01 PM

The plants will enjoy the extra lighting and like I said some more fast growers will help the algae issues. Good luck with the hood, I have been saying I am gonna build one for my 75G but here it is another year later.

BTW...Where did you get the wood pieces in the tank ? Did you collect them locally or buy them ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Buck-
I built the hood and added the light. What a difference the extra 60watts made. Pictures are brighter now too. I'll wait to post more until the algea subsides some more. The wood is grapevine that is sold for reptiles i've seen it in all the fs' around here. Also did you see my other post I was hoping you might have an idea on what these plants are. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23179
My plants actually started pearling with the extra light as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 02:20 PM

I just saw that thread and replied.

Quote:
I built the hood and added the light.
That was quick ! You should see some nice improvements in your plants. Your CO2 should still be fine with the additional lighting too.
About the wood...I have seen that wood often but never tried it. Did it have to be anchored down or is it dense enough to sit on its own ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I had to anchor it down but when I made the switch the anchors where able to come off. It also bled for a couple of months not bad but if I skipped a water change I could tell it had a bit of a tea color to it. I also didn't boil it or soak it first. I'm really pleased with it though. Yes it was quick but the hood is not painted black yet. That will have to wait til another warm day for outside painting or until the spring. I don't think my wife wants me spraying paint in the house.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode