Forget the journals- **UPDATE 11-24-05** now all 4 are here - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Forget the journals- **UPDATE 11-24-05** now all 4 are here

Well i didnt get much response in my journal threads so i will just post up pictures of three of the tanks in my room. start with smallest to biggest.

Nano Shrimp
3/4 gallon, 15 watt CF, kitty litter, java moss, ludwigia repens, najas grass, 10 crs - breeding ones at that

5 gallon. it is sorta the pioneer for me. has horid thread algae problems, this is after a trimming and picking of it out. any suggestions on getting rid of it.

And last but not least, my 20 long. this is day 25ish and its going along great. added soem driftwood, trimmed and moved some plants around, up to 65 baby aponogetons ( O_o ) and now just waiting for a fish i want.

Moonlight is just cool. thats about it

Please i want some feedback. lemme know what you think.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

Last edited by TheOtherGeoff; 11-24-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great tanks. I really liked the shrimp tank! Were those red cherry shrimp or crystal red shrimp?

I also thought the moon light was quite striking.

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Cherry shrimp

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 06:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is the nano shrimp a non-co2 tank??
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really like the moonlight.. its pretty cool

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

All three of those tanks you see up there are non co2 injected.

The shrimp are cherry reds, im to poor to afford the crystal reds. haha.

The moonlight seems to be everyones favorite just cause how bright it is and how it ripples from the water current. But thanks for the comments.

all gone now

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Ditto on the moonlight...I put one on my 65g but since the tank is so deep the blue column of light is much more dispersed. The little shrimp nano is a neat idea...

Re-boot!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Its more so just a temporairy holding tank for them. i think im gonna start mving them to the 20 after while. although i might just keep it up for grins since it is pretty neat. the female cherry i have carrying eggs is getting close to hatching now. they are getting clear and kinda sticking out the bottom of her tail. this is exciting to me.

all gone now

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like them all but the nano tank is just right on, although I hope the plants don't grow fast. I wouldn't want to do a lot of trimming in such a small space.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 PM

what are you using for the moonlight?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 12:07 AM

Great looking tanks!

I really like the shrimp tank. It looks like a vase I saw at a West Elm a few weeks ago. I like how the vase tapers inwards to a smaller opening.

Is it ok for the shrimp to be there for the long-term? Without a filter and heater? I might try setting up something like that once I get some free time this semester.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

the moonlight is an LED key ring i had laying around. i dontleave it on all night cause i cant stand a lit room when i sleep. so its on for about 30-40 minutes a night if i remember to turn it on. eventually i'm planning on a computer LED case light that i can wire up so it wont be souly on battery power.

The nano tank is doing well. there isnt enough of much to make the plants grow super fast. it has been inthat shape and form for about a month or so if not longer and i havent trimmed it ever. its just kinda somethign different i felt like doing one day and the shrimp fit the bill for a perfect residence. As far as long term i dont see it being bad other then it getting to cramped.

all gone now

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 AM

GEOFFF!!!!!!! hahaha sweet tanks dude i already told ya that.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok so now its time to unvail my 55 gallon since a TOTAL rescape. you may remember the last time i showed pictures of it, it looked like this.

Struggling stems plants, bland gravel and not to much going good for it. Well that has all since changed as of the weekend. I got my butt in gear and finally did what i should have done from the start of the planted tank adventure. SUBSTRATE!! it begin with a a trip to the pestmart i used to work at and my buddy who is the aquatics manager pricematched me 3 bags of flourite for 11.99. it was nice watching that 80.73 price drop down to just over 38 dollars. After about an hour or so of washing in the crisp fall air i went inside and did a good and needed gravel vaccum on the tank. Then the fun started. I began scouping out all the old nasty worthless pea gravel bucket by bucket. i got about 80% if not more out of the tank and then in came the flourite. man that was a mess. tank got super cloudy and yeah..it was just bleh. SO that finally cleared up and i realized i need plants since most the stems were close to dead. Trip tot he store and i come back with stems plants. basic but fast growers, just enough to get the ball rolling. Monday i redid the DIY co2 bottle and got that working oh so very well. after this was the aquascape. Total and complete redesign and direction. i think it looks MUCH better now and will get even nicer once the plants grow in. And today was the final piece to my recent adventure. Cardinal tetras are prolley one of my favorite fish ever and we got 500 in at work and are selling them for super cheap, so ~30 made their way home with me. now with out further ado, here is the new tank.

The stem plants are already starting to send out roots in the flourite, so i know it will work much better then my previous attempts. i had decided to build up the one side of the tank and kinda have a jungle fall out look to it with a large swimming area. the fish seem to much enjoy the open-ness of the new layout. since the plants are sending out roots already ( never happened within 2-3 days of adding plants in this tank before. flouritre was defnilty worth it ) and here are a couple of pictures of the fish and such.

Floyd Jr. seeing what the clown is after

Self explanitory.

What yall think? as it grows in and as the other tanks need trimming i expect to move alot of plants down into the tank.

all gone now

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:47 PM

Very nice Geoff. A couple things....(besides the discus, I'm sure someone else will touch on that.) With DIY CO2 in a 55, you really nead VERY good diffusion. I would see about building a powerhead reactor. (definately get a second bottle going) There are plans for reactors all over the place and you won't believe the results you get. That looks like 2 80Watt shoplights which is exactly what I have on my 55, another reason to be right on top of the CO2 issue. (in other words, be careful, you're right at 3 WPG, which is perfect for growing most any plants, without VERY healthy plants, it's also perfect for gowing most any algae) I understand you are going for low maint. but in the long run, it will be when compared to cleaning up algae/dead plants. Also, with those HOB's make sure your water is as high as possible to avoid splashing. I really think you got something there man. Just get as much outta that CO2 as you can, get on a good fert. routine and keep on top of it and you won't be dissapointed.

I say ALL of this out of experience, not just off the top of my head. Save up them pennies and get you a pressurized CO2 system! ( ahem...Christmas is right around the corner...cough) Shop around for the parts and it won't be all that bad. Mine wasn't.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode