Mosses (San Luis Mistery Moss) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mosses (San Luis Mistery Moss)

This is my first photo album, with pictures of my mosses. I own no digital camera or scanner, so I have to be very choosy as to which pictures I get scanned.

I have regular java, christmass and erect mosses (which I got from AquaticMagic, to whom I am still in debt), which I did not picture.

What you will see are pictures of mini moss (also from AquaticMagic) that is showing some weird behaviour, and pictures of a couple of mystery mosses I got in San Luis Potosi. I collected 11 different mosses in just one location, and of the 11, only 2 show new growth in the aquarium. I hope to be able to propagate them and give something back to the hobby.

#1 Mini Moss in low light, low PH, no CO2, high tannin black water nano tank:

It just looks like normal, compact mini moss. I love this moss.

#2 The same moss in medium light, high ph, DIY CO2 15 Gallon:

The weird thing is that it is growing less compact, and it has lots of the thin stems with two tiny leaves on top thingies growing from the main mass. Anyone knows what this is?

#3 San Luis Mystery Moss 1

I could not get a good focus. This moss seemed like it was also going to die, but then it started the new growth on the right foreground, the triangular bright green area. It looks to my untrained eye like a mix between mini moss and christmass moss. I have to wait to get more to see how it will behave.

#4 San Luis Mystery Moss 2

You can see all the new growth on this one. Emmersed if formed a thick mat, that spread in a star shape. Now it is growing very vertical strands, in a nice bright green.

Thanks a lot for watching. I'll keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Pretty neat. How fast is the growth...or how long did it take for you to see the new growth??? Man, that mini moss is truely tiny!!

Re-boot!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

The moss in picture 3 grows very slowly, i only noticed new growth by comparing to an older picture.

The moss in picture 4 stayed unchanged 10 days, and then sent out the new growth you see in the picture in 5 days.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:31 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
For the most part, it's not possible to exactly differentiate between moss genera except by microsope observation of leaf/stem structures. Pods also help a lot, but cannot identify the species without information on location of collection. Since you know where it's from, it's possible you could very well find out what species it is.

Try to find out if there is a bryologist (a scientist who studies moss, liverworts and hornworts) at your university. If you can find that it is vesicularia or taxiphyllum species, than that will indicate it belongs to a genera we already have had a good amount of success with.

As regaurds to an emersed moss showing vertical growth underwater, I have also collected and seen a number of emersed mosses that will show such a growth. Unfortunately-- the mosses's vertical growth is not an indication of long-term ability to survive permanently submersed. However, we never know until we try.

Good luck man!

BTW-- If you want to find a lot of other hobbyists with moss-fetish, try the forum www.killies.com

It seems like the majority of the plant discussion there is about bryophyte species.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link GMF,

I put 11 differente mosses unserwater, and only this two show any growth. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Tried to contact my university, and it has become a Kafkian task, I found myself arguing over the phone to convince them to accept a free sample of moss in exchange for absolutely nothing.

If this mosses continue to grow, i'll just mail samples to anyone interested.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'll take you up on that offer!

I got a small sample of taiwan moss a month or so ago, and strapped it to a rock. I now have a huge taiwan moss bush, and it's one of my favorite things in my tank!

10gal / Bleeding heart tetras, angel & silver hatchets / Filstar XP2 / 8wpg PC / 2.5lbs of Co2 / Hydor inline
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Came upon this old thred.

I would love to hear how the Mexican mosses are doing now. Still growing well underwater? If so, I would love to get some from you!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:24 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Shoot missed the pics of the mini moss
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
Where did the pics go?

85G ; 6x54W T5 ATI Powermodule
Co2 via 6Kg bottle ; Milwaukee SMS122 Co2 controller ; Co2 reactor
Flourite RED
_
tsp KNO3 3x week
tsp KH2PO4 3x week
tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
my guess is when they moved over to the new server, they were not moved
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
perhaps yes. A shame...

85G ; 6x54W T5 ATI Powermodule
Co2 via 6Kg bottle ; Milwaukee SMS122 Co2 controller ; Co2 reactor
Flourite RED
_
tsp KNO3 3x week
tsp KH2PO4 3x week
tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode