110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Not necessarily.

Parasites can live in their host for a long time-- it is not advantageous to them to kill their host.
I would recommend deworming this tank with General Cure. It is harmless to plants and bio-filter and just might be what is going on here.

Thank you, I didnít have or couldnít find gen cure, I did have tetra parasite guard on hand so I started treatment last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Thank you, I didn’t have or couldn’t find gen cure, I did have tetra parasite guard on hand so I started treatment last night.

What are the active ingredients in this medication, Ive never used it.

Hopefully it includes meds for internal parasites like metronidazole and praziquantel.

Edit: Actually, never mind, I found it-- it has good active ingredients. It has Praziquantel, Dflubenzuron ( flubendazole), Metronidazole and Acriflavin ( antibacterial).

post #93 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a photo update, canít really tell if GSA on plants is improving or not. Glass is definitely cleaner. Itís not completely clear though much better than a wall of green as before. Color of plants not much different than it was before, so I think Iíll keep these lights for now. Iím not sure what helped Pantanal, Iíve never had large crowns like these in a while, nice color too.

Greggz, burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

post #94 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

vvDO's 20L Major rescape Dutch style

Tank is looking much better, a lot less algae, only what was left on old stems or leaves and some plants that were struggling a bit are looking much better. I have also lowered N and raised P, reduced micro dosing as well. Only one complaining is Pantanal meanwhile right next to it, Ludwigia ďwhiteĒ is just fine, currently transforming to submerged form.

Iíve noticed over the last few weeks, some plants develop a non adhering tuft of something that looks a little like bga and bba. I can fluff it off and siphon it out fairly easily or pick it out with tweezers... any idea how to get rid of it?

Hereís a few photos from today a few hours after a big trim.

Greggz, burr740 and Maryland Guppy like this.

post #95 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I went away for 2 weeks, no one at home to take care of the tanks.

Very overgrown, most stem plants were creating a lot of shade. Trimmed yesterday and here it is soon after I got home from work.

Dosing has been to a minimum for the 2+ weeks, still need to find time to make a new batch of macros and micros. Plants seem to be holding steady. I did drop a few individual osmocote+ granules before I left.

Most of the algae on plants has significantly reduced. Just some BBA on my filter output and BGA on my heater of all places. I have been cutting down on CO2 for some reason itís been a bubble factory even with lower PAR. It may have to do with reduced flow, will know more now that the stems are trimmed way down.

Ludwigia white is actually doing ok and transitioning well from emmersed to submerged, and grows really slow compared to ďcousin itĒ... I mean Pantanal.

The only plant not doing well is Ammannia gracilis, tortured mess it is.

post #96 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mixed a new batch of ferts, basically along the lines of what Joe has been posting.

For macros I make a bottle of KNO3 and a separate bottle of KH2PO4. Realized it was difficult to make a solution for my 20L that gives 2PPM per 1 mL dose. Took a lot of shaking to get it all dissolved.

Last night I decided to test, trying to figure out why certain plants are doing really well and also noted some twisting in leaves of Ludwigia glandulosa. I tested for KH, GH and Ca.

Seems my KH is at 0-1, same for GH and calcium turned on the first drop so 0-20 and my Mg is probably also very low... hmm not expecting that at all. I moved in the summer only 2 miles away and either the water is so different (unlikely as itís from the same treatment plant), or there has been a big change in our overall water chemistry, rains etc.

So last night I purchased Ca sulfate, as I didnít have any on hand and plan to raise Ca and Mg (have MgSO4) slowly over the next few water changes... thinking Iíll add 5PPM of Ca and 2 PPMs of Mg now and next water change and see what happens to plants.

burr740 likes this.

post #97 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water change today, so overall I ended up dosing 6PPM Ca and 2PPM Mg x2, with a 50% water change, tank should have increased by 9 and 3 respectively.

Ca now testing at least somewhere between 20-40, purple on the first drop blue on the 2nd.

I think I will keep it here from now on and will be dosing about 3-6 PPM Ca and 2-3 PPM of Mg after each water change.

I was also playing around with lighting today.

I have a 24Ē sun blaster t5ho and I placed it over the tank with a 420 actinic bulb in between 2 Finnex fixtures. Gives it a crisper look, and balances out the yellow appearance it had.

Next up a cheap grow LED fixture, wish I can keep this on the tank, only problem is it pushes over 200 PAR and it needs more blue/purple/white light.

Greggz, burr740 and Squisher like this.

post #98 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:46 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Nice update, looking good! What is the cheap LED exactly? I have a 20L that needs something better and those colors look pretty good

post #99 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Nice update, looking good! What is the cheap LED exactly? I have a 20L that needs something better and those colors look pretty good

Itís a venesun 100W, you can find it on Amazon. Itís puts out a very neon red light and itís not dimmable... on my 20L I measured over 200 PAR on its own even though it doesnít look very bright. Itís kinda balanced by the 7k white LEDs coming from 2 finnex planted+ so it doesnít look it in the pics above.

ipkiss likes this.

post #100 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Itís a venesun 100W, you can find it on Amazon. Itís puts out a very neon red light and itís not dimmable... on my 20L I measured over 200 PAR on its own even though it doesnít look very bright. Itís kinda balanced by the 7k white LEDs coming from 2 finnex planted+ so it doesnít look it in the pics above.

Ah I see, I thought it was just the one light by itself looking like that.

post #101 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A few more observations, I believe along the lines of my water softening.

This unknown Erio started growing a bit differently that it had been. Main difference broader leaves and creating more of a crown rather than looking somewhat like hair grass or blyxa. I guess they do like softer water.

Meanwhile... letís do the twist... almost all Ludwigias with twisted leaves, most obvious in this glandulosa...

post #102 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water change day today... tested tap and still 0-20 Ca, so will continue to dose Ca.

Twisting leaves have not improved much since adding Ca and Mg. Tested nitrates yesterday, barely read 10-20 using API therefore I dosed a 3 PPM of extra KNO3 last night and also right after water change.

Some pics about an hour after lights on.

post #103 of 113 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No major changes, major issues right now are GSA on old growth. Iíve adjusted down my Ca and Mg dosing, will measure soon. Should be down to 30:12.

Trying a new light added some 660ís LED, definitely an improvement in colors. Also pearling was crazy just minutes after I added the light.

post #104 of 113 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Duplicate post

post #105 of 113 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
Planted Tanker

Bot that light made a big difference, looks good both ways

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode