Icegoalie's 40b Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Icegoalie's 40b Project

Hello Everyone.

Thanks to a bad case of MTS and Petco's dollar per gallon sale last month, I have 2 new 40 Breeder tanks. I have begun putting the 1st one together.

So far I have the tank, stand, substrate, some hardscape material and a filter.

I have some work to do in this room (note the drywall compound on the wall next to the tank) so it'll be a couple of weeks or more before I get everything together and get the tank filled. I am really trying to be patient and get everything started right with this set up.

I have ordered the medium tech plus solution from Pfertz, which includes Root Tabs, Nitrogen and Micros. I'll be dosing Excel as well. I don't plan on using CO2 outside of the Excel.

Equipment already on hand

Aqueon 40 Breeder (36x18x15)
Fluval 206 (Pushing the limits, but I had it before the tank, open to an upgrade if the inline heater will significantly reduce the flow)
FloraMax substrate to 3 inches

Planned Equipment

Hydor inline heater
Koralia Nano 240
Catalina Aquarium 36" 2 X 39w T5 HO (Timers on each bulb, alternating from one bulb to the next in the morning and evening, both bulbs together for an hour in the middle of the day)

Planned Flora

Amazon Swords
Crytocoryne Species
Anubias Species
Dwarf Sag

Planned Fauna

One pair of Bolivian Rams
Small Shoal of Congo Tetras
Kuhli Loaches

I have played with the hardscape and this is what I have come up with:

Looking for opinions and any advice for the setup.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Re: Icegoalie's 40b Project

Lookin good! Can't wait to see some progress on this bad boy.

---
I give my fish coffee
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have ordered a new filter, a Fluval 306, and the Hydor 200w inline heater. They should be here by the end of the week. I decided to move up to the 306 since 40 gallons will really push the limits of the 206 I have on hand. My daughter has an old 20 gallon with an HOB, I'll most likely just install the 206 on that tank.

I'll be calling Catalina Aquarium on Monday to order the light fixture. I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago about my plans. He is going to make a fixture that will run either T5 NO or T5 HO bulbs. If I decide to go high tech in the future, I can upgrade to the T5 HO's in the same fixture.

I played around with the hardscape and, with the help of others in the Aquascaping section, I have come to this:

I may still tweak the scape, but it's getting there.

Once the filter and heater arrive this week, I'll get the water in and start the fishless cycle. I went to Ace Hardware and picked up a bottle of Ammonia yesterday.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegoalie32 View Post
I have ordered a new filter, a Fluval 306, and the Hydor 200w inline heater. They should be here by the end of the week. I decided to move up to the 306 since 40 gallons will really push the limits of the 206 I have on hand. My daughter has an old 20 gallon with an HOB, I'll most likely just install the 206 on that tank.

I'll be calling Catalina Aquarium on Monday to order the light fixture. I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago about my plans. He is going to make a fixture that will run either T5 NO or T5 HO bulbs. If I decide to go high tech in the future, I can upgrade to the T5 HO's in the same fixture.

I played around with the hardscape and, with the help of others in the Aquascaping section, I have come to this:

I may still tweak the scape, but it's getting there.

Once the filter and heater arrive this week, I'll get the water in and start the fishless cycle. I went to Ace Hardware and picked up a bottle of Ammonia yesterday.
Looking good. I am setting up a 90, so I will be dealing with much the same as you are in the next few weeks. Looking forward to it. I plan to order my light from the same place.

What type of right is that on the right, as I need to pickup some rocks. Nice to see someone else from same area setting up a tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well it's been a long, long time. My 40 Breeder projects were put on hold for a long time because life just got in the way. I finally decided on a hardscape and I was able to move forward. My wife lost her job, and I had to progress very slowly while we were living on one income. It only lasted a couple of months, so we were very lucky.

Any way, here is the 40b as it looks today.

Flora
Anubias Nana
Amazon Swords
Various Crypts
Java Fern
Bacopa

Fauna
6 Diamond Tetras
6 Columbian Painted Tetras
1 Blue Gourami (Exiled from my daughter's tank)
4 Otocinclus

Not a very exciting tank, but low maintenance is the way I like it.

I dealt with the inevitable diatom breakout early on, but things have stabilized. I'm looking forward to seeing it fill out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

10/12/2013 Update

Hard to believe it's been 4 months since the last update.

I've been adding and subtracting quite a bit recently. I've removed a lot of the Java Fern, exposing more of the driftwood. I've added the Blyxa, Pennywort, Bacopa, Hydro Japan, and a couple of stems the names of which escape me right now. Some are doing better than others. I'm just trying different plants to see what works with my set up.

I've been using Excel every 3-4 days, and dosing Pfertz N and M every 3-4 days, not on the same day. I'm also using Pfertz root tabs for the Swords and Crypts.

I'm thinking about changing to dry ferts soon. I don't plan on using CO2 so that I can keep this low maintenance.

The Fauna is basically the same:

6 Diamond Tetras
6 Columbian Painted Tetras
4 Otocinclus
2 Juhli Cories
1 Guppy
2 Zebra Danios
1 Neon

The Gourami was exiled to the other 40B with a Firemouth and a Gold Gourami since he couldn't stop terrorizing the entire community. The guppy, danios, and the neon were more exiles from my daughter since she has decided she isn't a fish person

Here's a shot of the entire tank:

Thanks for looking.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

8/10/2014

The tank as it looks today:

The Blyxa didn't survive the Columbian Tetras, so I replaced it recently with Dwarf Sag. I have removed an Amazon Sword to open up the right side and trimmed the one in the middle to allow some light to hit the substrate. It's turned into a jungle, but I like it.

Fauna is basically the same. Home for 6 of my favorite Tetra, the Columbian, as well as 6 Diamond Tetras, a group of 6 Cories (Juhlii and Sterbai), and the requisite Ottos.

Love these guys.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tanks looking great. Fish looks awesome too

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode