daykinmade - first 10G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
daykinmade - first 10G

hey all
still can't seem to figure out how to attach images (I know its been explained 1000 times, going to figure out the little html you throw in to make it work) but for now I'll just supply a link:

http://www.jackdakin.com/tank1.jpg

the tank is a basic ten gallon, DIY hood with a 36w AHsupply light kit.
I had a whisper 10 internal filter, but recently upgraded (cough pissed off cough) to a fluval 104 canister filter. since then I have been having serious GW and haze issues. slowly I think the thing is beginning to work after some tweeking. DIY C02 with a diffuser thingy from red sand that shoots little bubbles all over the tank, the bubbles are kind of annoying but I can get around 27ppm when the mixture is kicking (even though it doesn't last long)

flora: anubius nana, dwarf sag, hygro sunset, rotala indica (i think, maybe correct me on that) ludwegia reprens (combo of two varieties I think, acquired them at separate LFSs) glosso, chain sword, and bronze wendtii (bouncing back after major melt down)

fauna: 15 x black neon tetras, 1 x bumble bee gobie, 2 x oto, 3x amano shrimp, 1x mystery snail (truly a mystery)

I haven't really perfected a ferts regime, I've been a little all over the place with that, any help would be greatly appreciated. with all the algae issues I've been laying off the ferts quite a bit. a bit here and a bit there, probably kind of a bad idea to be inconsistent

water parameters: ph=6.5, kh=2, gh=12, ammonia =0, nitrite=0, nitrate=5 (been trying to get the nitrates up higher, but have been doing constant big water changes to fight haze and GW, any thoughts on this)

thats it for now, any comments/help on the aquascape, photo technique, ferts, everything, anything, I would love it

regards
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to robert Send a message via MSN to robert Send a message via Yahoo to robert
[IMG]the link you just posted[/IMG]

Looks great!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Yeah that tank looks like its being taken over by GW, but it should clear up as soon as you keep doing water changes.

I attached the image for you, enjoy.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks so much Jdinh04
and yes the green water war is in full swing
its been driving me nuts. I'm not sure what the problem is, I only keep the lights on for 8.5 hours. very little ferts, heavy water changes, nothing seems to work. its getting very frustrating.
I don;t really think its the fluval, but I have nothing else to blame as the water was crystal clear when I used the whisper 20. the GW only showed up after I "upgraded" to the fluval. its been 6 weeks now.

-Jack
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Planted Member

Awesome tank. Personally, I would let it get all thick and junglely in there...I think it would nice and lush.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What is the hardness of your tap water? it may be the problem!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jdinh04, my KH is 2 / 2.5 or so, I dont think that is the issue. a LFS employee mentioned that the tap water may be the cause though. perhaps I should be adding something at water change time, florish equlibriam or whatever you call it. things are clearing somewhat today, ill take another pic this evening and post it (i saw how you did that from viewing the source code, thanks again) for now, I blame the the fluval, as this was not a problem before I switched to it. perhaps it is the ecocomplete I have in there. I know I have a bad batch, even though I washed it 7 times before I put it in there. but I still had clear water after that, again right up until I switched to the fluval

thanks for the help
Jack
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ive been playing around with the camera, working on getting some better shots of the tank (actually used a tripod this time). I brought the images in to photoshop as well and tweeked them, so that they aren't as blown out and have a little more contrast.
after I posted yesterday, I gave the tank a serious trim. since this is my first tank I want to experiment with how to grow my stem plants really bushy and evenly shaped. any comments on technique would be great.
as far as the cloudy water, today things were somewhat more clear but not crystal clear like I'd like it . the photoshop took out a lot of the cloudy haze, but you can still see it.

hope you like the tank, again any comments/help would be great.
big thanks to everyone on this forum, its been extremely helpful.
once I master this tank, it'll be time to bump up to a 20 long (thats all I have room for, nyc apartments...), but first things first

regards
Jack

p.s thanks for the info on attaching images, I was making that harder than it had to be, you rock
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To attach your images, use this code [img] the link of the image [/img]...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Since the GW appeared when you swapped out with a new filter, you may have had an ammonia spike. Sometimes that can trigger green water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode