29G My first tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
29G My first tank

Yep, this is my first tank. I started it about 6 months ago with the help of my LFS. For about 3 months it was just fish and plastic plants and decor. Then i decided to get some live plants in there and before i knew it, all the fake plants were out and i had a planted tank! Just a few days ago i started adding Co2. We will see how it goes. I Have the tank on my kitchen bar so you can view it from 360 degrees. I kindof kept this in mind when setting up the scape but i can see myself moving things around in the future. It seems hard to get a good balance for such a tall tank but im working with what i got

Heres what i have as of now.

29G Aqueon Starter kit
LifeGlo 20w 6700k blub
powerhead
fluval co2
Flourish

1 Gold Ram
2 Blue Rams
3 Phantom Tetras
2 Madagascar Rainbows
2 Dwarf Loaches
4 Panda Corys
2 Albino Corys
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
1 Large Otto
1 Amano Shrimp

Front:

Back:

These are just some iphone pics for now but ill get some better ones in the near future.

Ill get into more detail with more pics and such later but this is a start! Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by wierdfishguy; 02-02-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your tank is looking good.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

29G My first tank

Thank you!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your welcome.

55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

29G My first tank

Update: just did a water change. Everything is doing really well plant wise. I ended up losing the large otto. No idea why. My water test is dead on. Lots of new plant growth that I can notice though. I'm getting exited for this thing to take off now that I'm using co2. I can see the difference within a week
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

C02 is good for plants. Keep in mind that you may have to add more fertz for your plants with C02 addition. You'll need to keep an eye on that.

Hawkian

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

29G My first tank

I've been adding flourish once a week. Is there anything else you can recommend? What are some signs that I would need to add more fertz? So far I have seen about a quarter inch of growth on a few plants and bigger greener leaves on everything else. Thanks for your help guys!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't take it personal but today I feel like giving a real opinion about tank journals...
This aquascape looks messy from all angles. Rocks don't match each other or the substrate. The wood is misplaced n not doing itself any justice, the plants are spread across short behind tall, not in any type of unity.
My best advice is to look at real planted tank aquascapes from contests, and u will b able to figure out a better scape that u will b even more proud to document.
All the best !

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel

Instagram @ Enshacra87
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
Don't take it personal but today I feel like giving a real opinion about tank journals...
This aquascape looks messy from all angles. Rocks don't match each other or the substrate. The wood is misplaced n not doing itself any justice, the plants are spread across short behind tall, not in any type of unity.
My best advice is to look at real planted tank aquascapes from contests, and u will b able to figure out a better scape that u will b even more proud to document.
All the best !
All right mtl people this is not helpful at all. Some people... ppft!

There's only something wrong with your aquascape if YOU think there is something wrong with your aquascape! This is YOUR tank, YOU have to like looking at it. And obviously... YOU have to take some of the feedback here with a grain of salt.

It looks like you have a heavy fish load and not enough light for high light plants. If you add more fertz than your plants need in that kind of an environment then algae will take it in and make you feel sorry for it.

What kind of plants do you have?

Hawkian

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

not quite sure the names of all the plants. i know for sure java fern and 3 different kinds of anaubis. some help would be appreciated.

but i did take some of that opinion to heart. i did a total rescape. what do you guys think?!?!? i think it looks much more pleasing to the eye and more natural.
also reduced the lighting to 6 hours a day to combat the algae. also decided to go back to lo-tech as i dont really know enough about co2 to feel comfortable with the fish. they come first, then the plants.

some fish

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the different kinds of fish you have.

10g RCS and show guppies

-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode