medicineman's 20g : trying Staurogyne - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
medicineman's 20g : trying Staurogyne

Hi this is my 20 gal learning tank. Studying how plant grows and why they grow.

Hope to learn aquascaping next...

Last edited by medicineman; 08-25-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You can definitely grow plants! Nice and healthy...give yourself some time and you'll get "aquascaping down".

Re-boot!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:34 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You have some beautiful green crypts in there medicineman

What is that you have for substrate ? I like the look of it and it is doing wonders for your root feeders. It looks brown...

Nice tank...

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to andrewwl
What's that dollarweed-looking plant in the third picture? Is it the same stuff spilling out the back of one of Barr's tanks here?

http://www.barrreport.com/gallery/fi...fa0466e-80.jpg

I like that effect alot.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have seen cloudy days on the first month as a newbie. Luckily I got a helping internet connection, tons of info from the old fashioned one to latest high tech. Thanks to this forum I can grow better and on a wider variety.

Tank specs:
20 gal : 80cm x 30cm x 35cm
overflow filtration with floss, sponge and bioballs (DIY)
lighting :20W Hagen power glo, 20W hitachi red, 2x25W mitsutec daylight
pH :around 7 or so (universal indicator)
gH :Unknown
kH: Unknown
DIY CO2 injection via vortec bioballs reactor
once a week 50% water change
fertilization (last 1 month) :
urea 2-3x a week 1/2 teaspoon
MgSO4 2x a week 1/2 teaspoon
calcium 1x a week 1/2 teaspoon
NPK 20-15-25 1x a week 1/2 teaspoon
concentrated liquified K 3x a week 5mL
all local chemical/garden product
Niche Iron + trace 3 x a week 5mL

All dosing is based on trial and error, learning from here and there and watching how plants react to certain fert.

Substrate:
bottom layer is 1/2" 1-2mm zeolite (a very high CEC mineral)
top layer is natural river sand size 1-5mm from Malang (a city in central Java). This sand is black and very dark brown in colour and consist of lava rock, gravel, etc. It is rough, porous but not light. Java is famous for natural fertile volcanic land. This substrate regime is interesting, the more you season it properly, the more nutritious it gets. Zeolite has a very good CEC quality while lava rock retains moderate CEC with its pores. When chemical concentration gets high in the water collumn, the substrate will absorb some. Plants consume the water nutrition and substrate will release all the stuff they absorb before until concentration is balanced. You will not see this effect in a short time. Believe me this tank gets better only after 3 months of cycle.

Flora : I still have not remember the names for all the plants, even the one in my own tank See for yourself
Fauna : currently
13 neon tetras
4 corydoras
3 african sinodontis
3 guppies
6 ghost shrimps
4 SAEs

What's that dollarweed-looking plant in the third picture? Is it the same stuff spilling out the back of one of Barr's tanks here?
The round leafed one? it is monocotyl variety and it does not grow outside water, just up to the surface.

What is that you have for substrate ? I like the look of it and it is doing wonders for your root feeders. It looks brown...
natural product of zeolite and volcanic river sand with seasoning

I have my 260gal scaped but it is not seasoned yet so still doing plant changes and such. Will show you some time later.

Still learing and will learn from you great people

Last edited by medicineman; 05-31-2006 at 01:46 PM.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update
19/11/2005

left part

right part

last week added some cyptocoryne of 3 kinds, another piece of driftwood. Pruned and replant overgrown vals, hygrophylla and hydrocotyl. Taught tiger lotus a lesson of staying small and low. Re-planted plants and more pruning. Some re-scaping.
I still have my 260gal in progress of getting beautiful. Still a shame because I made a weekly visit to LFSs (we have several areas where there are 50+ fish shops in a row) and replace some plants. It is getting stable (thanks to cycle and added DIY chiller) and I promise I will let you see it. Yet I have another 260gal tank on order (this one is longer but shorter height to ease scaping). Man this hobby bites me!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Your lotus rocks! Can't wait to see the 260 gallon. i "think" the "dollar" vine is Brazilian pennywort aka Hydocotyle leacocephala or something similar...

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Time for another update current tank condition. No great shots and not as nice as my bigger tanks. But it is a very low maintenace tank now.

The crap lighting I have are messing around with my photo. It is very difficult to take a good shot on this tank. Perhaps next time I'll get a blanket and cover it at the top.

A full shot of the tank

Here is a single, small fan. Mounted on top next to lighting fixture.

It beams to the tank water surface. Power is along with the lighting period. A simple addition that pulls down from 29-30 C to 27,5 C. It work miracles on the plants inside the tank. Just look at how the java ferns inside are propagating at maximum rate. Note all small light green new leaves.

Right part

Left part

Center

The tank is purposely almost neglected in terms of trimming. I want to create a jungle look and it worked. See how dense the growth is...

There are mainly neons in this tank. There are 2 SAE and a cleaning crew of shrimps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update again...

Just some major hack and slash to the jungle to allow the bottom plants (they suffered long enough).

No stem plants for this tank, they just magically die

I should consider changing the substrate like my bigger tank, or let it be without any stem plants.

So far this tank is the only one with the oldest plants I have, most dating back some 8 months old (well... not that old for aquascape standard).

Right

Left

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2 Days ago I pulled up a plant and find something interesting. The roots are not white in colour. That is strange for I thought crypts always have white and extra long root system. So I pulled out more plants and find something nasty. Some of the roots are black and turning into mush. I say it is the crappy substrate which cause every mishaps in my aquascaping experience. I did change the substrate on all my big tanks and they serve me great. So I'd say so long black substrate! It is just too anaerobic even for roots type plants. I will end this suffering once and for all.

So it comes to another tear up (thank god this is just a 20 gallon tank and not another 260). Fishies goes to another nano tank, plants goes to a huge bucket, covered by wet newspaper sheets to keep moisture in while I work. Fish count alarms me as I find only 12 neons, 4 sinodontis, 1 corydora, 1 SAE and 2 shrimps. The tank condition must be that bad despite all the maintenance I did, it still kill those fish I still have months ago. Tearing up this tank gives me so much pleasure and a big relief. Good thing I have much stock of base fert and substrate, so I did everything straight away within 2 hours time. After a good cleaning of the dark substrate and a bit of scrubbing, base ferts goes in and layer upon layers of substrate. Hardscape is set, countouring done then plants goes in with the water.

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

3 driftwoods as hardscape and to retain substrate from running over to the front (the back is stacked higher).

Front view

Left

Right

Most of the plants are re-used with a bit of addition from my other tanks.
There are 1 corydoras, 1 SAE and 1 CAE. Coming in soon are cherry shrimps and perhaps some more foreground.

Now that is an extreme makeover and it looks much better!
*the stuff floating and that elodida, etc are there for extra plant load and I'm planning to remove them much later.

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added in more bio load slowly, today 10 cherry shrimps went in (always start with the algae squad).

I've been inspired by some aquascape and used some stones into the tank. It enhance the terracing look even more. Here's how it looks like now :

Foreground will be filled with glosso later on.

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:14 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
What is your substrate on this last tank? It looks like packing material..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
Added in more bio load slowly, today 10 cherry shrimps went in (always start with the algae squad).

I've been inspired by some aquascape and used some stones into the tank. It enhance the terracing look even more. Here's how it looks like now :

Foreground will be filled with glosso later on.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It is natural silica sand (it is ore for making glass if I'm right), fresh from seabed. Contains no Ca or other nasty stuff in it and it is inert, so I have to use induced base fertilizer (in this case 2 JBL florapol). The size is a bit roundish 3-5mm and it is very heavy, so far the best that I have tried for anchoring down plants - you even wont need any weights to keep those stem plants down (well, except for some stubborn plants like aerial lotus). Quality depends on the source where the material is taken, this one is from one of Indonesian islands off coast.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
i like that "wood terracing" can't wait to see the glosso fill in the front

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode