20 long Journal ( 56k warning **7/08/06 UPDATE**) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
20 long Journal ( 56k warning **7/08/06 UPDATE**)

Ok so im starting a journal thread of my 20 long i just recently set up. its been many years since i have had this up and i wanted a larger tank to play with. I had it in my basement with everything else for it. All i spent money on was the gravel. ( im getting good at cheap build ups ). Here is how it is now.

30 lbs flouirte with 1-2 lbs river rock
40 watts of light. GE aqua ray and a ecplise daylight ( gonna replace that one with 6500K, think its 4100-ish too yellow )
Whipser power filter and a heater. thats about all the tech on this.
Plants
~7 apongenton bulbs, already flowering
1 large crypt that i took apart and moved around
1 red ruden sword
Going to add some more this week when i do some trimming from the other tank.
Fish
Nothing yet, but gonna do rainbows again. last fish in this tank were rainbows and i enjoy them way to much not to have them again.
Pics:

How it is after 1 day of being set up

9325K is cool

How it looked nearly 4-5 years ago when it was still going

then it got CRAZY!!!!

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

Last edited by TheOtherGeoff; 07-08-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Great to see another 20 Gallon Long tank.

Just a few constructive comments, first, that sword will have to go. They get way too big for a 20 gallon long, in fact many plants do. One thing that I've found with mine is that even though there is 12 inches of height, when you add in the gravel and everything there is only 8-10 inches or so. It's really kinda small. On the other hand, its nice because its quite long, which is great for schooling fish.
Probably someone else will mention this anyways, but you may want to think about getting a background for the tank to hide the equipment and such.

Good Luck!

P.S. I really like your 55 gallon tank.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Good points. i enjoy constructive critisism.

Now my defense, haha. I know the sword will get big. and thats kinda why i wanted it and why its over by the heater. im hoping it and the aponogenton will get lush and block it out. back in the day i used to have 2 of them in my 5 gallon as background plants and they were very nice and full. grew to the top of the tank then pretty much stopped and started getting thicker. so thats what im kinda hoping will happen with this one. I did also want some taller plants cause the goal of the tank is to have flow to it. going to house rainbows and i like how they look streaming thru long flowing plants.

Background. i knew someone would say it. haha. i just havent gotten around to cutting up what im going to use for it yet so it will be there in a day or two. i might have it up tomorrow with pictures and some new plant cuttings.

Thanks for the comment about my 55. its kinda apin but its going well thus far. your 30 gallon is pretty amazing, im not gonna lie.

all gone now

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE TIME!! ( already i know. )

Ok so not tooo much happened today. I got the black trash bag background up, added two small clipping of hygro ( hopefully more soon ) and i got a FREE oceanic light strip from work. Its a sweet old skool one with eternal ballast and the mylar reflector. tank looks sooo much better with this light. its greatness. so heres a pic.

Clearer today and much more light IMO.

Question/comments/concerns??

all gone now

Last edited by TheOtherGeoff; 11-01-2005 at 03:05 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok time for an update. its been a while so i will give this my best shot. The apongentons have gone crazy and are dropping babies like MAD!! i counted close to 20 of them growing today. talk about fast reproduction. I also found a large plant of ludwiga repens and bought that. i cut it into several pieces and placed it thru out the tank. the melon sword and the crypts are all doing good and starting to fill out. i also added a "ridge" of larger rocks to flow along the side of the built up flourite. Still havent gotten around to adding fish yet, but hopefully that will happen friday. So please leave me you comments, questions and concerns. i know it needs a foreground and hopefully i have some coming soon.

Pic or two.

Theres the 5 gallon, and its new home next to the 20. its still kicking with all the fish, lush plant growth and crazy amounts of thread algae. haha

all gone now

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE!!!!

about 1 month 2 weeks later this is what i have.TA DA!!

Now i have a lawn and some slate rock in there. Decided to go against my original choice of rainbows and im now going to go a tetra route. So far for fish i have a pgymy cory ( getting more friends soon ), 3 ottos, 3 marbel hatchet fish and 3 lamp/red eye tetras. plans are some glo lites, black neons and emperors. prolley whatever else i find to be interesting. i think the tank is coming along nicely, especially considering im only running 2 wpg and no co2. plus im sure one of the bulbs is over a year old so its prolley not doing so hot. buti have growth and thats what matters. Here are a few more shots of the tank. i welcome comments and would appreciate feedback. thanks

all gone now

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your hatchets and tetras will do better in schools of 6 or more.

A little later on you might want to take the red slate out, but good job growing the plants .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well i dug this up form long tiem ago. just want to show what it looks like now. im pretty happy. and these arent really taht current. some new plants are in there.

got jungle???

Then came out the scissors.. it looks better since the plants have grown in

all gone now

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, nice transition. It's a very colorful tank, looks awesome. I was suprised to see that there was only 2wpg and no CO2, considering the healthy growth of the ludwigia.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

maybe another update?!? sure WHY not. haha. tank looks nothing like that right now. well, not much like that. its kinda um..organized chaos? hehe. anyway, the lace plant i added a couple weeks ago is growing STRONG! it got huge and fast. leaves never died off or anything. it even is tolerating 82* water for a day or two at a time. anyway..here all you really care about..haha

i swear that male ram is an attention whore..haha

all gone now

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Such a jungle in there, what plant is that in your foreground? Looks like the stem plants need a pruning!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
looks nice. where did you get the lace plant?

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

foreground is dwarf sag

i got the lace plant at the LFS i used to work at.

all gone now

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Hmm... it looks too bushy and spiky to be dwarf sag ... you sure on this? Check out the recent picture of my 50g, what I have in the foreground is dwarf sag.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
if you ever want to get rid of a stem or 2 of your lace plant, i'm your man.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode