Planted 29g and 20L sump (new pics 4/6) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Planted 29g and 20L sump (new pics 4/6)

Well, this is my planted 29 gallon with a 20L sump/refugium. I started building this over a month ago, got it going, and then had problems with the substrate which resulted in the loss of a lot of plants. I tore everything down and replaced the substrate with eco complete a few days ago. The remaining plants are recovering slowly, but they should be okay.

Equipment
- Marineland maxijet 1100 return pump with 3/4" acrylic tubing
- Eshopps overflow with 3/4" CPVC
- DIY hofer gurgle buster
- DIY Rex Grigg CO2 reactor
- DIY stand
- DIY 20L sump/refugium
- Aqueon Pro 150 watt heater
- AquaticLife 24" dual T5HO
- 5lb CO2 tank with a milwaukee ma957 regulator

Submerged Plants
- Echinodorus Bolivianus
- Ammania 'bonsai' (true rotala indica)
- Ludwigia x arcuata
- Ludwigia 'atlantis'
- Rotala macarandra 'green'
- Rotala rotundifolia
- Hygrophila pinnatifada
- Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'
- Limnophila aromatica
- myriophyllum pinnatum ?
- alternanthera reineckii 'roseafolia'
- mayaca fluviatilis
- crypt. 'Florida sunset'
- ranalisma rostrata
- red root floater
- staurogyne 'low grow'
- ludwigia inclinata verticillata var 'cuba'
- rotala najenshan
- didplis diandra
- Hydrocotyle leucocephala (brazilian pennywort)
- flame moss

Emersed/riparium plants
- ruellia brittoniana
- ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
- asclepias curassavica
- pilea cadierei 'minima'
- dwarf riccia
- hemianthus callitrichoides
- java moss

Parameters
- pH: 6.6 without CO2
- KH: 4 dH
- GH: 3 dH (dosed)
- nitrates: 5-10 ppm (dosed)
* The eco-complete raised all of these, except the nitrates, so that is what I will be bringing it back down to.

I need to find something else for the overflow surface skimmer since it is huge. Overall the system works well and the pH drop from the CO2 has been the same in the display and the sump. No fish at the moment since I am focusing on getting the plants reestablished. The current fish plan is a pair of apistogramma elizabethae and a group of nannostomus mortenthaleri when I make a top for the display tank. It isn't much to look at right now, but I am working on it.

Let me know of any opinions on it.

New FTS as of 3/10

Last edited by chevyguy8893; 04-09-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: updated plant list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks great! What are the thick-stemmed plants in the hanging planters?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
One of the few I've seen with a refugium! Any reason why you chose to put one down there? (other than having an excuse for another tank)

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kperera View Post
Looks great! What are the thick-stemmed plants in the hanging planters?
Thanks, the brown stem plant is ruellia brittoniana and the green stem plant is asclepias curassavica. Both of them are growing pretty fast now since they have settled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
One of the few I've seen with a refugium! Any reason why you chose to put one down there? (other than having an excuse for another tank)
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be something done too often. The reason I added it was the added water volume, a lot of filter media, have place to place equipment (eventually), a new challenge, and it was pretty cheap to build it all. Eventually I would like to grow mangroves from the substrate in the refugium too.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think the tank may be getting back on track slowly after changing the substrate. Although the water is still hard after a 50% water change with RO water, so I am working on getting that back down. Some diatoms have started to appear since it is a new tank, but I am cleaning it off the leaves before doing the water changes.

I also have my UV sterilizer running constantly to help manage free floaters when I am not around. Many of the stem plants seem to be turning around and growing side shoots off almost bare stems. So far I don't seem to be losing much CO2 at all through the sump, so that is a plus.

New leaves have been coming up consistently on the florida sunset

The once bare rooted stem of L. atlantis has some new growth

RRF keeps on flowering, but still recovering

Surprisingly nice growth from the java moss at the base of a riparium planter

Runners being sent out from the ranalisma rostrata with new leaves finally coming in on the original plants I got.

I still have a while before everything is back to normal, but it seems okay for now.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the tank and sump! Nice job!

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I like the tank and sump! Nice job!
Thanks! It has been a lot of work to this point.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

I decided to move things around into a nicer layout after getting some gro soil tabs to add. Some more stems and erios were lost with the wacky parameters that the eco-complete induced. The rest of the plants have turned around for the better. I believe the algae is now under control with reasonable CO2 levels that could support life in the future without limiting the plants.

Some new plants were added to the sump/riparium area. I added 3 stems of pilea to a trellis raft, two stems of ruellia brittoniana 'Katie', 'outback sunset', HC, and terrestrial baby tears to the top of the hill that I am trying out in the refugium. The ruellia and 'outback sunset' were just added earlier this week, so they are still acclimating. The current riparium layout isn't permanent, I just haven't had time to move things to the way I want it.

I would love to get some opinions on the whole setup. Also, anybody have some lighting ideas for the sump since the clamp lights are taking up a good amount of useful space. I was thinking of getting another dual T5HO, or find a new fixture for the display tank, and move the other light to the bottom.

Everything still looks a little ratty, but it should start to fill in with the root tabs added and everything becoming more balanced.

L. aromatica, R. macrandra 'green', and lone surviving stem of proserpinaca

Flowers coming in on the mexican milkweed after a month of having them

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Nice job growing those riparium plants. It looks like you will have blooms on that Asclepias before very long.

Remember that once they are established you can prune those taller Ruellia and Asclepias way back to encourage more bushy growth. Here is the tall Asclepias that I have in my 50G that I cut back to just a few leaf nodes. I trimmed it about a week ago, but already there are many new buds forming at the leaf nodes.

It's easy to root those stem cuttings by just suspending them with the cut end in the water.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Nice job growing those riparium plants. It looks like you will have blooms on that Asclepias before very long.

Remember that once they are established you can prune those taller Ruellia and Asclepias way back to encourage more bushy growth. Here is the tall Asclepias that I have in my 50G that I cut back to just a few leaf nodes. I trimmed it about a week ago, but already there are many new buds forming at the leaf nodes.

It's easy to root those stem cuttings by just suspending them with the cut end in the water.
Thanks! I thought it was pretty neat that it is already trying to flower. There is actually a few more buds coming in now. Those gro soil tabs seem to be steroids for these plants lol.

That picture really helps with giving me an idea of how far I can trim it back. It just grows so fast now, but that is great. One part that was trimmed off a couple weeks ago has been growing roots pretty easily so far. Anyway, I'm really glad that I was able to get started with these from your RAOK .
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
Thanks! I thought it was pretty neat that it is already trying to flower. There is actually a few more buds coming in now. Those gro soil tabs seem to be steroids for these plants lol.

That picture really helps with giving me an idea of how far I can trim it back. It just grows so fast now, but that is great. One part that was trimmed off a couple weeks ago has been growing roots pretty easily so far. Anyway, I'm really glad that I was able to get started with these from your RAOK .
Yeah the plants really like the real forest topsoil, red art clay and other stuff in the gro soil tabs.

That Asclepias in my tank grew up tall really fast too. I think that now that I lopped the top off it will grow back a bit shorter and more bushy.

Have fun with that stuff!

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The growth is continuing to do very well, and it all seems healthy. I added some didiplis diandra that I got earlier this week. It was supposed to be rotala najenshan, but this was sent. It still looks good though now that it is all planted.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice setup! Do you tattoo all your snails?

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! Is that really what those circles are, or are you just messing with me? I just got the snails a couple days ago as olive nerites.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Somebody engraved "2600" on that snail.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode