My first aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first aquarium

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those of you who answered my questions in the other forums. Things have finally settled down enough to formally present my tank (problems and all). It took a year of dreams, but I finally set up my first tank almost three weeks ago. The first picture was taken the day after I put the fish in.

My only plan was to try a variety of plants, and attempt aquascaping later. I had originally wanted to do an Amazon biotope (I used to live there and miss it a lot!) but it was too limiting given the plants available at the lfs. As a newbie, I chose ease of startup over authenticity. My fish are S. American, and the plants are mostly American (I stuck the Rotala in on a whim). I hope to do an Amazon biotope with angles, hatchets, knifefish, and others in a larger tank once I get the hang of things.

My tank has had some adventures in the last three weeks:
1) Diatoms (briefly, until algae took over)
2) Slight ammonia readings for two days, and the algae started
3) No more ammonia, but slight nitrites for two days
4) No more nitrites, but one week after purchase one glowlight tetra got sick (white fuzzy eye) and died within 12 hours, possibly Columnaris. I noticed one other fish with a bite-sized piece of fin missing, whitish edge, but fin has since grown back in.
5) When the glowlight first got sick, I added 2 Tbs. aquarium salt to aquarium, but the algae went bezerk. I changed water to get rid of salt over a couple days, "weeded" out the algae, added more plants (Cabomba, Egeria, Hornwort) and the Hagen natural CO2.
6) Algae continues to thrive (mostly green hair) so today I bought 4 Ottos and 4 ghost shrimp, and ordered ferts (from Gregg Watson) and phosphate and nitrate tests. Maybe low CO2 is allowing the algae, but ferts will help me figure that out.
7) Im still spinning from it all.
Oh yeah, the current "look": Ill work on the aesthetics when things are running smoothly and I know how the different plants grow. It reminds me more of Amazon forests than the waterways. I'm definitely into the "wilder" look, but I don't have a definite scape in mind yet.

And my current nemesis, before I pulled a lot of it out:

If anyone has any comments on anything about my tank, Id love to hear them. Im definitely hooked on freshwater planted aquariums, and I hope it doesnt interfere with school too much!

Tank:
20 gal
55W AHS compact fluorescent (6700K)
Eco-Complete
Aquaclear Quickfilter
Water:
27C 1 (80F 2)
pH=6.5-7, KH=5, GH=3.5, ammonia/nitrates zero
Hagen natural CO2 with bubble ladder
Plants: (names given by LFS or my best guesses)
Bacopa caroliniana, Cabomba caroliniana, Egeria densa, Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Sagittaria chilensis, Sagittaria subulata var. pusilla, Echinodorus major, E. osiris, E. blehri, Ludwigia arcuata, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Myriophyllum scarbatum, Rotala indica
Fauna:
4 Corydoras triliniatus
4 Ottos
4 Glowlight tetras
5 Black skirt tetras
4 Ghost shrimp
Decorations:
2 pieces of driftwood

Last edited by sacha; 10-16-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Your links aren't working

To attach an image you need to upload it to a service, and then [IMG]asda[/IMG] your link to your photo will be between the IMG tags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
here is a place that you can upload your pics to and then link them

http://photobucket.com/

150 gallon. eco complete, 330 watt cf, eheim 2128 and 2028, pressurized co2 with am 1000 reactor, pinpoint ph controller

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks... This is getting confusing! I had already uploaded my links, and checked them out before posting, but they disappeared after posting. I've repeated everything quicker this time... lets see! I still can't get the picture to appear in-line, though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Planted Member

the links are working now tank looks great

150 gallon. eco complete, 330 watt cf, eheim 2128 and 2028, pressurized co2 with am 1000 reactor, pinpoint ph controller
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:22 AM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I see... hair algae... =\ bummer dude...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

I've organized a plan of attack against the algae... Ottos are just the front line. I have *very* happy ottos now, but hopefully I'll have to cook zucchini soon.

So how do I get the pictures in the message, not just the links?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:46 AM
Algae Grower

To get it to post straight into your message and not as a link, I think you just type it as IMG http://yourpicture /IMG

Surround the IMG tags with these: [ ]

Carpet-Pond

Eheim Pimp #159: Eheim 2233 Ecco & Eheim 2211 canisters.

55g planted- 80deg F.
2 Coralife Aqualights 65w 6700k + 2 15w lights .
Pressurized CO2 5lb tank.
Substrate: 1" Tex blast, 2" Flourite & Eco Complete, ~.25" sand.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help folks. I should have been a little more specific about the problem. I used the normal image insert codes but it created a link instead. Here's what it looks like in the editor (the asterisk is so that it appears as text, rather than become a link):

[IMG]*https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1871&stc=1[/IMG]

Here it is as a link, all I've done is remove the asterisk:

I think it doesn't work because attachments aren't recognized as .jpg (as they were when I uploaded them). Now I *think* that inserting images (rather than links) is not possible when using "attachmemts".

Update: Everything works fine as long as I host my pictures offsite.

Last edited by sacha; 10-16-2005 at 07:41 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Planted Member

Nice Tank... ur stem plants are doin well..
what are goin put in th eforground..

Keep posting pics...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kamla,

My stem plants are growing like crazy and need trimming!

I had originally thought to put hairgrass in the forground to contrast with all the other shapes I have in the tank. Once things get cleaned up and more stable (ferts coming in the mail this week, and although I hope to get it right on the first try, who knows?!) I'll try some hairgrass. Actually, I'll probably wait and see what I do with the rest of the plants first. I'm still learning how fast they all grow, and I want to see what they look like freshly trimmed before deciding where I want to put them all. I gather that hairgrass is difficult to shift around in a tank too.

Now that I've figured out how to get the images up, here's another one:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode