my 55 gallon ( 56k caution ) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
my 55 gallon ( 56k caution )

Well i am finally getting some decent picture up of my 55. the tank isnt all that amazing and my camera isnt the greatest. colors are drowned out, things are blurry etc etc. The tank may appaer to have a slight haze to it but i know this and its cause of the meds. ANyway here is the tanks specs.

2 Dual tube shop lights 6500K daylights x2 and GE PLant and Aquarium x2
Substarte is a mix of laterite, flouirte, and pea gravel
DIY CO2 is going in the corner and lights are on for about 12 hours.
Plants
-water sprite ( huge guy on the left )
- water wisteria
- ludwigia rupens
- rotola indicia
- crypt sp.
- ammana gracilis
- tropical sunset hygro ( not doing well )

Fish
Pigeon blood discus
SAE
rubber lipped pleco
clown loach
rummy nose
silver top tetra
black skirt
bronze corys
red phantom tetra

on with the pics...

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice looking tank.
And don't sweat the photo quality - you have to take a bunch of not so great photos to be able to take great ones.
That is a really neat piece of wood. I think you will want to make sure whatever you plant does not overly obscure it.

And right now, the biggest problem with the setup is that that monster sprite (an oxymoron?) on the left overposwers everything else.
Makes things look out of balance.
And the rest of the tank looks a little sparse to me.
Could use quite a few more plants - whether groundcover or specimens.

A big challenge in a new aquarium - as with outside gardens, lies in finding the types of plants that grow well under your conditions, rather than trying to adjust your conditions to accomodate some particular plant.
If the sunset hygro isn't doing well - toss it, and try something different.
You have a pretty limited list of pretty basic plants.
You might want to try out some variety - starting with variations and close relatives to the plants you have that are doing well.

Also, I really like the look of the rocks.
But much of that will be hidden in a heavily planted tank.
They will need a manicured foreground "lawn" to show them off.
So you may need to make a choice as to whether you want a front lawn, or ditch at least some of the rocks for more jungle.
Either choice can make for a lovely tank.

Thanks for sharing, and keep up updated.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ludwigia repens looks good if you trim it back and keep it a stout bushy plant for the midground area of the tank.

I am no expert on taking photos, but if you increase your exposure speed to 200 or 400 and use a tripod you will capture better pictures of your moving fish.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to robert Send a message via MSN to robert Send a message via Yahoo to robert
man, that water sprite and wisteria just don't quit growing do they? I have some in my 10 gallon and no matter how much I neglect it (minus just turning the light off for good), it just keeps growing!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
I tried playing with all the options on my camera and uit just isnt happening. i dont have enough settings or options to do what i really want to with it.

The main reason the sunset hygro looks like it does is cause of two things. number 1 my SAE's were playing in it which tore it up, plus my ramshorn snails were eating pieces of it. so thats why its like that.

PLant selection is basic yes, i dont have many options around here. i know it needs a foreground lawn badly, just deciding on what to use, althought im thinking hair grass or dwarf sag as the best.

The tank is not new by any means. i have had it up and running for close to 8 years now. the lighting and such has been going for a few years as well, this is just the first time i am having good sucess with plants. i have older pictures i can show off as well.

Lotus from back in the day

Lilly pads....which later had a white flower bloom

All kinds of goodies

heres another i like

So it has seen its fair share of plants. why it doesnt look how it used to today?
The lillies blocked out so much light everything started to die plus i had the tank nearly taken over by java moss which starved out alot of plants. never again will i have that stuff.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The first instant i looked at this tank, it reminded me of a trip to a local creek i went to years ago. I can't believe how natural this looks! Great choice in gravel! And the driftwood is just unbelievable! Love this tank!

P.S can you take some pics of your SAE? he looks massive!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have to second the comments about the natural gravel I really like the way it looks

150 gallon. eco complete, 330 watt cf, eheim 2128 and 2028, pressurized co2 with am 1000 reactor, pinpoint ph controller

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode