Big update: My first planted tank -58G (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
Big update: My first planted tank -58G (56K warning)

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at a planted tank. It has been running for around a month now. I had a bad case of algae but I have won the battle.
Let me know what you think.

I currently have a bunch of different plants, some of them I do not know their name.

Tank Specs:
- Pressurized CO2
- XP3 filter
- Hydor inline heater
- DIY reactor
- Coralife 2*96 watts
- Water is soft due to florabase (6.2-6.4 ph)

Fauna:

2 - Albino angelfish (not sure if they are called that)
5 - Bolivian Rams
2 - Dwarf Gouramis
3 - Aphy Australe Killies
3 - Rummy Nose (had more but some died of unknown reasons)
4 - Otto
2 - SAES
- Some amano shrimps
- Few nerite snails

Here are some pics:

1. The tank

2. Otto in the plant and one dwarf gourami

3. A SAE doing his job

4. Some plants

5. Female Aphy Australe

Last edited by milalic; 11-06-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

More pics...

6. Ludwiga Repens sp green and Bolivian Ram

7. Angel fish

8. More plants

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Last set of pics...

9. Fish Reunion

10. Male killie and Bolivian Ram

11. Pair of bolivian rams

12. The two angelfish

13. Last pick for now

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Florabase is great, ain't it?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I like it...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

99 views to my post and just only one comment about the substrate...=\
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
Is that spiral Val in the middle besides the rock? I think it will lookw better in background. Overall it Look amazing!

-Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR#88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the comments. What do you think about the foreground? I know it is a kind of val, but which one it is I have no idea...many of them look the same to me.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it's going to look great when everything fills in. I'm not sure I like the pink rocks though, everything else is so natural looking and that just grabs my eye and won't let it go

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:58 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
How do you manage to get the substrate to stick to the walls of the tank so that the plants grow horizontally in #8?

Hate to sound too critical, but improving your photo skills a bit would help us comment on what we're seeing.

I think the rocks are a little too busy for my taste. Too many different kinds. The reddish main ones, little round black ones on the R, a round grey one on the L, a jagged dark rock or piece of wood further back on the R.
The red ones will most likely look far less bright over time, but flat pieces like that take up a lot of planting space. I wouldn't be surprised if you lose some of them over time to free up more room for plants.

Plants look pretty healthy, but can't really see the scape until they grow in.
One thing I'd suggest thinking about changing is the 2 biggest rocks. They are right in the center - the clear focal point. That can be a difficult arrangement to make appear pleasing. You may wish to search "golden ratio." I don't see any other clear foci other than perhaps the val R of center front. You have a couple of red plants in there, but I can't really tell what they are or how they will play in the scape until they get a bit bigger.

Meanwhile, the "horizon" is pretty much high all the way across, tho the najas (I think) in the back will be wispier than either end. At best, you have it high on both ends, and lower in the middle where your focal point is.
To be concise, I think the layout is a little confusing, busy, unfocused. Might benefit from making some clearer decisions about what you are trying to go for.

The foreground looks like my dwarf sag, but I'm no expert. You could use a few more plants if you want it to look like a carpet. And I'm not sure it ever will - and if it did, it might be a little tall for a medium sized tank like yours. It will tend to collect detritus, so pay attention to it during water changes as it fills in. And I don't think your tank needs anymore green - at least not that shade and leaf texture.

Please don't accept this criticism as anything other than constructive, and thanks for sharing your pics.

Everything looks very clean and healthy.

Nice tank.

With a little tweaking, it will be awesome!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

eds,

Thanks for all the constructive criticism. This is what I am looking for!

Im not really worried about the scape at the moment. I am trying to do something that looks like a jungle in the middle to back and gives space on the front to the fish to swim. I also have been thinking about the rocks.Probably, I will like to move them out of the tank and move the dritwood more to the center. That way I have more space to plant. Some of the red plants are red temple, poly sp. sao paolo, and two that I do not know what they are. I will probably replace the sag with some riccia or glosso soon.
I want something that looks more like a carpet. I am trying to grow more hygro to plant on the other side of the tank to make it look more uniform. The vals I have in the front will be moved to the middle back also. It is hard to figure this for a first timer and when you loose the plant names is even harder.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Hey, nice setup. And don't feel bad... my journal only got one reply. I guess it takes a lot to get people to raise their lazy figers and give their opinions. Especially when what is involved are plants... that are growing. =)

I like the way the substrate looks also and the rocks don't bother me so much. It's always fun to make little hideaways that the fishies can swim through. I had a large rock in mine that I was toying with and decided to take it out to conserve space. So I guess the name of the game for people like us is experimentation. Although that can sometimes be hard to do when you're starting a new tank and trying to get everything normalized and what have you. We appear to be about on the same page so I'll be looking forward to making note of your progress and what plants you decide to add in the future.

The Rams and Angels look very nice! As are the plants.

Carpet-Pond

Eheim Pimp #159: Eheim 2233 Ecco & Eheim 2211 canisters.

55g planted- 80deg F.
2 Coralife Aqualights 65w 6700k + 2 15w lights .
Pressurized CO2 5lb tank.
Substrate: 1" Tex blast, 2" Flourite & Eco Complete, ~.25" sand.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

SOme more information:

On plants I have some hygro on the left side near what looks to be a some kind of vals. Then in the fron there are some small red temple. The foreground is dwarf sag. Kinda in the middle there is some geria najas and egeria densa. Also in the middle front I have some stems of ludwiga repens sp. green. O the right side in the back I have a cambomba.There are a few stems that I have no idea what they are. I will try to take pictures so people can help me identify them. I definitevely need something less busy. Maybe a concave layout?

Some questions:

1. What do you think of having the big val in the front as my focal point?
2. What plant colors do you think are needed in my tank?
3. What leaf types do you recommend I combine?

I hope more people get involve in this. I have done some reading about the golden ratio, diferent layouts etc...but it is still hard to do an aquascape, at least for me it is.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My tank has gone through some changes. I was not happy with the look it had before. Here is apicture before trimming. I trimmed most of the hygro on the left and put some tonina fluviatalis and ludwigia ovalis I believe. I also took most of the dwarf sag out as I want a lower background.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Planted Member

Wow lookin' good

Yes! I snuggle with rats!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode