Canon Rebel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Canon Rebel?

My wife is the family photographer. When we got a new camera a couple of years back, I suggested digital, but she bought a Canon rebel 35 mm instead. I believe she has at least one kinda pricey zoom lens to go with it.

She just asked if I minded if she got a digital camera. I told her I didn't care as long as we could afford it, and said I'd enjoy it to take pix of my tanks. Also told her I'm going pressurized CO2 before the end of the year.

I guess she has been doing a bit of research, and she says she's looking at the Canon Rebel digital, which would allow her to use her existing lenses. Says it will be somewhere under a grand.

Galncing through past posts, it looks like at least a few of you guys - Wasser, GD - favor this camera. Any bells and whistles I should suggest when she is finalizing her purchase? Any places on -line you can direct me to to soften my learning curve with this new toy?

Dang - I'd better start shaping up my tanks, if I'm going to be actually letting you guys see them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
The 8MP digital Rebel is indeed a nice little camera. You can't really get 'bells and whistles' on the camera itself but you can get various lenses, flash units, filters, etc. Here's a couple of links to camera reviews link 1 and link 2 that should be of interest to you.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I've been debating a DSLR purchase for some time now...

Between a Rebel XT or 20D, Nikon D70s or D50, and toyed with the idea of an Olympus E-300.

Still haven't decided, and as you know, that field is changing pretty rapidly, so new options are always coming up it seems...

If you have lenses for a SLR, and switch to DSLR, the biggest thing a photographer will notice it magnification factors.

Assume a 28mm lens designed for a SLR.
The magnification factor on DSLR's will multiple that by its sensor's magnification factor, anywhere from 1.5 to 2. So wide-angle lenses get narrower due to a non-full size (non 35mm) sensor.

There are a few DSLR's out there with Full-Frame sensors, but until you hit the lottery, they are probably out of most peoples price range, well, it wouldn't make much sense unless photography was a money making career to own one of these.

One bell you might want is the remote shutter release if it has one. Avoid the shakes when you take a picture while it is mounted on a tripod.
Most DSLR's don't have an actual cable release mount and rely on a remote control.

If you want to see some really nice chat on the whole topic applied to aquariums...,check out: http://aquatic-photography.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
eds

Wait a minute.
If I understand you correctly the rotating flash bulb tower from my Kodak 110 instamatic won't work on this thing?

Seriously - that's about the level of my photography smarts!

I'm hoping my wife gets something I can pretty much point and shoot - and not screw up TOO much.
Who knows, tho.
Messing around with a camera and my tanks might be the kick in the pants I need to learn something about it!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Check out this site. More info then you will know what to do with.....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

jB
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Oh.....if you are going to get the xt, dell usually has coupons out ever few weeks that have great savings. PM me and I will let you know how to get them.

jB
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Jim

PTrader: (0/0%)
You mentioned the use of existing lenses. Last year, I replaced my Canon 35MM SLR with a Canon 10D in part, so that I could use my existing lenses. I love my new camera (Digital Rebel is a great product, BTW) and have been able to use my old Canon EF 28-80 for most everyday shooting situations.

Unfortunately, my Sigma telephoto lens (Canon compatible) did not work with my 10D. Just something to note -- are her lenses Canon or Canon compatible? If the latter, she may run into compatibility problems for the first time. My telephoto is now a $400 paperweight

Jim
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 10:32 PM

Look for a Sigma converter, Jim.

They're ready available online!

Owen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Jim

Hi Owen,

I can't seem to find anything online about converters that would solve my compatibility issue. Can you point me in the right direction?

Apparently, some Sigma lenses can be "re-chipped" to work with newer DSLR's and some cannot. I have been told that mine is too old to be rechipped (mine was purchased in 1999 or 2000). I'm currently getting an "error 99" when using the lens on my 10D, which is a lens compatibility error. Personally, I will not buy Sigma products ever again.

Thanks,

Jim
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
eds

Man, she doesn't waste any time!
Thanks to communal property and the fine institution of marriage, I am now the proud owner of a Canon Rebel XT.
Her old lens is a Tamron - which definitely fits the new camera (something about red dots and white squares... My head hurts already!)
Now I have to start cleaning up my tanks if I'm going to let you guys actually see them!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Congratulations pal! I don't know squat about cameras, but have owned too many lower end (though not always lower cost) digitals. And I've never been happier than I am now with the shots I can get with my lowly Canon A95. And let me tell you, it's the bush league next to your new camera! I can't imagine what you'll be able to do with that!

Great decision! You have my congratulations, and jealously (in the best of way of course)!

So... now that that's been said... when are we going to see some pics!!!!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

If you want simplicity, the digital rebel will do you fine. Whats more important is the glass between the camera and your subject.

Zoom lenses will always deliver less quality than prime lenses (eg. 100mm zoom on your 28-105mm canon EF lens will never be as sharp as a 100mm prime lens).

There are a few canon lenses that you should avoid, these are the cheaper consumer zooms such as the 28-90mm f/4-5.6 which are usually sold as a package with the camera. This lens is complete rubbish.

The Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM is the equivalent of a 38-127mm zoom on a digital SLR with 1.5 magnification and would probably suit your purposes fine. It will set you back just over a few hundred bucks, which is pretty economical for the lens you get.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Jim,

You're correct in regards to rechipping the lens. Might want to contact Sigma and see if they will do it and how much it will cost.

Really can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon nowadays. BTW, the crop factor for Canon prosumer bodies are 1.6 instead of 1.5 (Nikon). Their pro camera bodies are either 1.3 or full frame.

Probably the best bang for the buck is the 50mm f/1.8. Great fast low light lens.

Lastly, definitely check out APF (www.aquatic-photography.com) when you get the chance. Quite a few decent photographers on there.

Eric

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley
So... now that that's been said... when are we going to see some pics!!!!
My prediction - early next week.
My wife and son are involved in an American Rev War re-enactment group.
They are having a big to-do this weekend, which I guess is what pushed her to get this camera at this moment. She also recently did the group's website, and I guess she wants photos.
Lotsa prep work going on for that weekend, so I'll pretty much concentrate on staying outta the way.
But by next week, when their re-enacting photos are out of the camera and into the computer, I'll set to work!

In the meantime, I'll be working on my tanks, trying to get them to look less amateurish! You really look at your tanks a little differently realizing you are going to show them to a bunch of interested folk. I'm geeked, tho, because I think both tanks have decent bones, but need some ideas on where to go so that they'll really shine.
Listen to me - I'm already making up excuses!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode