75.G Planted Arowana tank.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
75.G Planted Arowana tank..

wuddup...

My old journal got erased, so here is a before and after pic of my tank. The "before" picture was when I had no clue about planted tanks. The "after" picture is about 1 month later, and countless hours of research. You can see for your self how much this forum helps people like me, trying to get started in the whole "live plant game". I owe 99.99% of my success to the knowledgeable people on this board. A special shout out to Rex and Spar, thanks for the help guys. And yes rex, I spell check everything this time so I don't look like a crack smoking imbread monkey, or however you put it before... lol

Before I knew what I was dooing --->Before

After A month of studying planted tanks. ------->after

ps... sorry for the hyperlinks, Im going to buy a membership to this forum ASAP. I just have to convince my mom to let me use her credit card. :-)

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thumbs up

Looks outstanding!!!

My Arowana would be jealous, so don't feel bad that I won't show him the picture

How big is he now anyway?? Mine just jumped over the 12" mark.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks Spar... You can take a great deal of credit for the way things turned out. You tought me the propper way to dose my ferts.

Anyways, My silver aro is just over 12 inches. My estimate comes from comparing his length to a foot long sub-way sandwich. lol. I've been feeding him very sparingly because I want to keep him as long as possible before he outgrows my tank. No more commets or shrimp; his diet consists of about 6 arow sticks a day. Since I stopped feeding him live food, he doesn't grow nearly as fast as he did.

How's your FW ray getting along spar. I would like to know how that little guy is dooing. Did you get him a new buddie to hang out with?

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:00 PM

Nice change, I see alot of improvement bedtween the two pics.

As for your spelling, that's your business. I can't believe someone would be rude enough to point it out to you.

Good luck!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
Since I stopped feeding him live food, he doesn't grow nearly as fast as he did.

How's your FW ray getting along spar. I would like to know how that little guy is dooing. Did you get him a new buddie to hang out with?
Definately helps not to feed live foods! and safer / healthier! Mine only eats raw shrimp and pellet sticks.

The Ray is still going strong. I plan on getting her a boyfriend around Thanksgiving time. Hopefully get some little Rays out of the deal

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The scape is looking solid, I like the rocks the tank would look good with a few more.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks Urkevitz and cat rancher. When things fill in a bit more I will aquascape it. Right now everything is kind-of just thrown in the tank to grow; not much thought behined it. Soon I want to get a carpet of glosso and some roks coverd with rica.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, I finnaly updated my tank pictures. Its saterday october 29...

here it is, hope you like it...----------------->aro pics

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:31 AM

The tank looks nice and healthy... great job
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
things seem to be growing well for you. I love arowanas too, but i don't think i could ever dedicate a tank to one fish like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice tank. It's great to see you that you're a fast learner. But doesn't it need at least a 6 foot tank once it grows?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
OK, I finnaly updated my tank pictures. Its saterday october 29...

here it is, hope you like it...----------------->aro pics

Hey shuks,

Nice looking tank. And nice plant growth!!! When you can save some $$$ think about getting a cannister filter and get rid of the equipment on the side. Or try to hide the equipment behind some of the taller plants. That will add so much to the overall appearance!!!

Wish I had room in my little studio apartment to have a tank your size.

BTW Your spelling still sucks. Saturday is the correct spelling not saterday!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
BTW Your spelling still sucks. Saturday is the correct spelling not saterday!!!
lol...Thanks for the correction aquaphish.

I am going to get a canister filter very soon. I agree that all the equipment looks like crap.

All the plants that are currently in there are going to be riped out and thrown in the garbage as soon as I go pressurised. I'm basicly just using the plants to filter my water untill I get a c02 tank. Once I get a canister and pressurised c02, I will be able to really aquascape properly. I plan on having a big forgroung of glosso that will belnd into a big hills of rica on both sides. The idea looks really cool in my head, hopefully I will be able to pull it off.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:12 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm moving my commentary to this thread because it is yours, k?

-wisteria is a common name for "Hygrophila difformis," and I was calling the plant simply difformis. Sorry! I just assumed you knew the scientific names!

Quote:
Again, I could not dissagree with you more. How does keeping a school of tetras make you an artist? The artistry comes from the aquascape, not the fish you put in it. Any idiot can throw some tetras in water, that doesnt mean there an artist. Personly, I think that artistry comes from dooing something original. Keeping an arowana is more of an artistry than stupid small fish. I HATE LITTLE FISH WITH A PASSION! Any little fish I come across will be fead strate to my arowana. Plus, you can barly see little fish in my tank.
-Fish selection is definitely an aspect of the aquascaping art form. It always has been, and always will be a very important visual aspect.

I couldn't agree more that experimenting and doing original things is part of being an artist!

BUT-- an artists makes original leaps and does experiments with purpose . Artists think about their decisions and try to put together the implications. It is:

"I chose to use an arowana because of its elegence and strength, and because that strength ties into my aquascape by complimenting the theme of . . ."

Not:

"I chose to use an arowana because I like it."

It's fine that you hate little fish, and it's fine that you want to use an arowana-- but it's not art until you design a scape that works with the fish visually. It's a fishtank for a very nice arowana instead.

Quote:
The first thing people say when they see my tank is "WOW, thats a nice fish!" My arowana is supposed to be the center-peice of my tank.
Wow, it's like you're arguing my point for me! I was going to say, "I bet people see your tank and just say, 'Cool Fish!'" But this is awesome! Now I have supporting proof behind that statement!

So yeah, when people see this tank, they say "Cool Fish!" They don't say, "Awesome tank!" And the art of aquascaping is about making a beautiful tank. Fish keeping is about showing off fish.

Well that sums it up.

but, one more thing: Some people do like smaller fish, and you should be sensitive to that. Small fish have different strong points from big fish.

Big fish:

pros:

+Powerful presence
+Interesting

cons:

+take up attention
+make the tank seem smaller

Small fish:

pros:
+Make the tank seem larger (zen aesthetic principle, create BIG within the small)
+Add wide-spread highlights
+Don't take up as much attention on individual fish

Cons:
+Don't stand out

There's pros and cons to every artistic decision-- the artist's job is to choose how he ties together the implications

PS-- I'm looking forward to seeing your final scape plans! However, before you go about that:

Quote:
Things will look alot better once I rip all the current plants out and replace them with better ones.
There's no such thing as a better or worse plants. There's just different plants with different visual pros and cons.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:10 PM

I think Greenmiddlefinger has nicely summed up what I was going to say and what I tried to say on the other post!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode