Russell's Tank (Warning 56k) 10/21/05 UPDATE!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Russell's Tank (Warning 56k) 10/21/05 UPDATE!!!!!

Been moving back and forth from home and school for two years now, and we have finially settled down for awhile, so it was time to get the tank that Russell and I have been wanting for a long time. So we made a big order through Big Al's. Russ spent almost an hour on the phone pricematching all the other websites, and It worked out great.

So with Russell unpacking all the equipment I settled in to paint the back of the tank. I used flat black latex paint, had to do four coats!! Darn paint. But Russell snags a picture of me.

Russell playing around with driftwood layout.

After 6 hours later, an extra trip to WallyWorld for some more RO water, and a frustrated Russell; the tank is filled, plants are planted, and the fish are swimming happily in there new home.

Fauna:
Black Lace Angelfish
Eight Harlequin Rasboras
Two Otto Cats
A large SAE
Three Khulie Loaches

Flora:
Amazon Swords
Dwarf Grass
Contorsionist val
Wysterera
Java Fern
Jungle Val
And some misc crypts from our other tanks.

Equipment:
AGA 36 bow
Custom Magnum 250 setup (thanks to Wasserpest)
Visitherm 150 watt Stealth heater
DIY C02
Current Satellite 130 Watt fixture (2 dual daylight bulbs)

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon

Last edited by PinkRasbora; 10-22-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
i love the way the tank wasdesign.. so natural...
im so jelous
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank.

Where'd ya get the black spray bar in the top rear of it?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 AM

Nice job
Tank looks real good, even though its a new one

Keep us updated on how the tank looks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I love the look, what kind of substrate is that?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Nice start PR and Russell..
Tell Russell he need's go to Ebay and get you guy's an RO system, best place to, around $90-ish shipped for 100GPD RO/DI, if you plan on using that kind of water of course.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question answering....

Weaver, the spray bar is a small peice of 1/2" thin walled black PVC pipe that we purchased at HomeDepot, in the plumbing section. The pipe isn't the exact size of the filter output, so we used a clear peice of tubing to get from one to the other. And oh the pipe was about $1.50 for 8 feet of pipe. Sorry I don't know exactly what the thin walled PVC is used for in plumbing, but it is the perfect thickness for a spray bar. Its also a nice dark black.

Jdinh04, The substrate we used is Eco-complete. It is the first tank we set up with it. We are very happy with it. Putting it in the tank I thought it would turn to mud, but it was like a soft sand. That stuff is so great I converted my shrimp tank to Eco-complete.

WfxXx, we have been debating the whole RO thing, since we went planted we do a 1:2 ratio of RO to tap water, since our water is extremly hard. I am not sure what is cheaper though. I mean the itial cost of a RO unit plus extra filters, to Walmarts twenty six cents a gallon refill thing. Would it make sense for us to get a small RO unit? Now that we went from a 15 to a 36 gallon, and a 10 to 15 gallon tanks, I think the option is more viable now.
Do you have an RO unit you would suggest?

Its been a week and the tank is starting to get algae.
We also got some more Khulies and Ottos, so I will try and post an update pic when I get off of work.

Thanks alot for the comments everyone! Russ got such a kick out of the quickness of the responses, its great!

Anyone want to comment on the layout? Being our fourth tank, we have a really good idea on layouts, but comments are always welcomed! Trying to go for an as natural look as possable.

-Stacy

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora

WfxXx, we have been debating the whole RO thing, since we went planted we do a 1:2 ratio of RO to tap water, since our water is extremly hard. I am not sure what is cheaper though. I mean the itial cost of a RO unit plus extra filters, to Walmarts twenty six cents a gallon refill thing. Would it make sense for us to get a small RO unit? Now that we went from a 15 to a 36 gallon, and a 10 to 15 gallon tanks, I think the option is more viable now.
Do you have an RO unit you would suggest?

-Stacy
Hello Stacy
I do have one I can suggest "Aquasafe" I will post you a link, it will certanly be cheaper making a one time purchase of an RO unit, if you factor in you're time,( which I highly value my time and hate with a mad passion to have to go to walmart..uhg) & gas @ an ever increasing amount plus the cost of wal-mart's water.
Doing a water change every week, once you have made the purchase and then set the unit up, you will be very glad you did, and will enjoy it much,
and on top of that, you could even grow some of the more demanding plant's that must have soft water, all you need at this point really is the actual RO unit, you do not have to buy extra filters TDS meter etc,
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop
Be sure to read the instructions on this page about the purchase, payment, and setup of the unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-AQUARIUM-10...ayphotohosting

This is the very same unit I use for my Tonina tank.

Good luck and happy shopping..

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like a good unit for a good price. Not sure if we should get it or not, but seriously thinking about it. Thanks for the info!

Tank update:

The tank is starting to develop an algae outbreak, but the tank is pearling!

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Very nice!

Quote:
WfxXx, we have been debating the whole RO thing, since we went planted we do a 1:2 ratio of RO to tap water, since our water is extremly hard. I am not sure what is cheaper though. I mean the itial cost of a RO unit plus extra filters, to Walmarts twenty six cents a gallon refill thing.
As an owner of an RO unit I have to ask: what is the price of convience? When I want it, it's sitting there ready for me. And the filters are not that expensive if you shop around and they last quite awhile depending on the quality of your source water.

Anyway, your tank is great; I love the drift wood!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, Russ worked extremly hard on that wood. We found it locally. It worked out great.

As for the RO unit. I think Russ and I have decieded to hold off for a bit. Maybe pick one up when we change to pressurized CO2.

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update, 10/21/05

Ok so it has been a few weeks, and the plants are doing well. We moved over all the fish in quarantine, (3 kuhlies, and 2 more ottos). The rasboras are loving it, they swim around all over the place. The Angel is still mean, but is more content most of the time now.

Im not sure if its the bow in the glass or the plant lay out but the angel and rasboras stay in the front 95% of the time.
Ok so here is our updated pic:

The CO2 reactor works great and the plants are growing better than they have ever grown. Unfortunately the algae is loving the new tank as well. I hope I will win the battle in a few weeks. I was a little careless with the dosing and now I am paying the price.

Last time we were thinking of getting an R.O. filter. I have gone full circle and have started using my hard tap water. The plants and fish seem unfazed with the change.

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
It has a really nice natural look to it!! Sorry to hear about the algae issues...a little tinkering here and there should take care of that. AND, that is one beautiful angel...all flared up!!

Re-boot!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
it looks nice, seems like it's missing a mid ground though. maybe once the hairgrass fills in......

Side note: I lOVE black angels!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good.
Russell need's more plant mass though, algae will eat his lunch

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode