Carpet-Pond's 55g.. 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Carpet-Pond's 55g.. 56k warning

I decided to use a lot of algae control plants in the beginning and gradually introduce more slower growing plants over time. So this will be a 're-work as you go' tank as opposed to any pre-planned layout. The boulder seen here will be replaced with driftwood.

This photo is a day or so after planting:

September 14, 2005

And a week later:

September 21, 2005

Carpet-Pond

Eheim Pimp #159: Eheim 2233 Ecco & Eheim 2211 canisters.

55g planted- 80deg F.
2 Coralife Aqualights 65w 6700k + 2 15w lights .
Pressurized CO2 5lb tank.
Substrate: 1" Tex blast, 2" Flourite & Eco Complete, ~.25" sand.

Last edited by Carpet-Pond; 05-21-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Looks good and healthy carpetfreak ( I seen you're post in the photo album)
Maybe try burying the bolder? if you find some different plants you are interested in, just post in the swap&shop,
if anyone has it, im sure they will fix you up..

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Looks good and healthy carpetfreak ( I seen you're post in the photo album)
Lol.. well only a freaks would post a picture of themselves boiling wood on the stove.

Thanks for the suggestion on burrying the boulder. I think I may try that. I need some darker green and red plants also I think.. as I'm really not liking the light green, chaotic jungle look. This weekend I'll be rescaping so any more suggestions would come in handy.

Carpet-Pond

55g planted- 80deg F.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've taken out most of the Hygrophila and Cabomba since there hasn't been any algea outbreaks. The water parameters seem to be on track and I'm planning on adding some darker greens and some reds when I can. I'm just not sure which plants to go with at this point.

Right now, I think my favorite in the tank is the Nymphaea. There's 3 Nympaea Rubras in the center and one Numphae Stellata (I think) towards the right. It's began to do really well the last few days. But unfortunately, it may have to come out so that the glosso and the HC I have coming will get enough light. WfxXx is sending the HC, a little Eusteralis Stellata, as well as a couple surprises. I don't know if I will be able to bring myself to tear it out.

I saw some photos of some chainswords and decided they would be a good front to back transition plant. When I put them in the tank, they really took off and grew tall. They sent up some nice flowers to the suface within a day or so and now they're sending out runners. I'm assuming this what normally happens. But what I'm wondering (and hoping), is if the leaves will begin to grow shorter and thicker like I had originally planned. I'm going to trim the large leaves soon and see what happens.

I moved some Aponogeton to the back in place of the Hygro and took all the Rotala Indica that was spread around the tank and put it all on the left. I tilted over the drifwood as sort of a divider and stuck a little Java Fern on top. With all of the Hygro and Cabomba moved out, there should be more light reaching the bottom. The stargrass doesn't seem to be growing too fast but it had a big hurtle to get over. It wasn't in the best shape when it arrived.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to create enough front to back variation that will create a natural flow that the eye can follow so that things won't look so flat. To get to that point will probably take more experimentaion with some plants I haven't tried yet and do some rearranging.

I'm still getting the hang of my dosing. Right now it's something like everyother day- 5ml TMG, 20ml nitrate (.25/ml), 1.4tbs pottasium sulfate and .5ml phosphate.

The tank is a little bare as far as fauna goes. I have some baby Blue Rams that will hopefully go in here in a few months. The lone neon will probably want some friends too. Other than that, there is an angel, a live bearer (looks like guppy but is something else), an otto, a gold algae eater, a Cory, and some mystery snails.

It's not the best camera in the world but hopefully these pics turned out ok. Whew!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Sept27011.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Sept27001.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Sept27005.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Sept27007.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Sept27004.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Sept27013.jpg

Carpet-Pond

55g planted- 80deg F.

Last edited by Carpet-Pond; 05-21-2008 at 11:00 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hello Steve
First off I would like to say, Pardon my forum mate's, I am embarrassed.

If you have a chainsword that grows to the top of a 55, something is wrong, I have some micro chain sword that will do what you would like, as you described, coming you're way, so maybe that will help some.

However I do tend to think you are under-dosing a bit, but if things are going good with no algae, don't fix what isn't broke.

Kudo's and keep'm coming!

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya, that's okay. I think they're just scared of me and my sig! Being pimp #159 and all.

But in all seriousness, today I came home and noticed some small bits of hair algae floating at the surface. I must have taken out too many of the quick growing plants too fast. I should probably get a better grasp of my dosing also and check my c02. The C02 reactor is a small siphon tube with a filter sponge on each end with the output of one of my filters going in. It was working great at first but now some small bubbles have been escaping through the sponges.

The plant in picture Sept27013.jpg is what I had ordered as narrow leaf or pigmy chain sword. Did they substitute for a different type or what?

I'm looking forward to planting the package! If you are buying new plants, WfxXx will give you a fair price.

Anyway, forgive all the rambling.. shifting gears in the hobby a little too fast for my own good at times.

Carpet-Pond

55g planted- 80deg F.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode