RKs 24 Gallon (UPDATE: 28/01/06 - Neon Moonlight added!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
RKs 24 Gallon (UPDATE: 28/01/06 - Neon Moonlight added!)

I've had the tank about 4-5months but i've decided to finaly make a journal for it I've kept some pics from when i first started.

In the beginning. Back then i had no idea about lighting issues, or ferts or substrates or Co2. I was totally clueless and bought plants just for the aesthetics. And ofcourse the plants looked great, for a few weeks and it went to crap. The red plant died first because of the really low light (1wpg) and no iron suppliments.

Last edited by [RK]; 01-28-2006 at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

A month or so later i added more plants and driftwood. Got some cheap java ferns from a mate and they took off bigtime. Tank was filling up nicely and looking good. But then the java ferns got some weird disease and started dying. I asked about it here and on other forums but I couldnt figure out how to stop it.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Even though the tank was filling up nicely and looking alright, i still wanted to rescape. I was kinda bored of the whole 'artificially' planted look, and wanted it to look more natural and 'wild'. So i tore most of it out yesterday and added more driftwood, grassy plants, and java moss. I also got rid of any red'sh plants as i wanted it to be all green. So far i like it. I'm hoping the vals in the back have enough light to grow and fill the background. ANd im hoping the grassy plants dont die, which will be pushing it cos i have normal black silica gravel. The hygro is growing 'wild' like so im keeping those and them run free

I've gotten rid of my blue gourami. It looked a litlte out of place due to its bright colours and shape. The tank has been modified too. I've added more lighting so that the WPG is now at 2.8 I've also gone from DIY Co2 to pressurised. And i've also disregarded the tanks wet/dry filter, and installed an Eheim Ecco. I love this filter! Next mod on the line is adding some computer fans into the hood to address the heating issues. I'll keep this thread updated with any changes or mishaps

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
Hey, great job! The combination of the grassy plants with the driftwood and moss really set off the tank. All-green tanks are my favorite and this one is done really well. My suggestion for fans are the Vantec Stealth fans. Silent for all intents and purposes (have to get your ear a few inches away before you hear them) and they push a good amount of air.

What did you use for the grassy plants? C. helferi?
I don't think you really need it, but have you thought about a foreground like HC or E. triandra?

- Erik
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

The grassy ones are some type of Rush plant, and also another one that i forgot the name off I'll check the name when i goto the shop next weekend. And yeah, once the plants start doing well and the rear is filled in, i'll work on the foreground. I also want to get hold of some dry ferts first and get my dosing routine established. Being in Australia its a little more difficult to obtain them.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 06:09 AM

I really like that wild look! And the gravel really sets off the color of the plants - looks great
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:46 AM

yea looks really good mate
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Your tank looks really great, but I think that some of the grassy plants might be non-aquatic, the red plant in the first pic looks like it was a non aquatic alternanthera species also.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Planted Member

I love the last layout. The wood is great and provides a great basis for you to build upon. It will look wonderful when the moss fills in. Very nice.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello to the good folks in Australia!

You're going in the right direction with that tank--it's looking much improved.

John P.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys

And yeah i had a feeling some of the grassy ones arent truly aquatic, but since it was really cheap i decided to give it a go. Now comes to the nervous few weeks/months to see which plants do well, and which don't
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to update. Afer a billion phonecalls I FINALLY aquired some dry fertilizers! Got teh KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4. I dosed it on the weekend after cleanup and i've noticed that the greenspot algae has been reduced dramatically! Usually 2 days after cleanup i get quite a few spots, but its been 3 days and i've hardly got any so far

Hygro has also grown HEAPS and is taking over the tank, but i like it like it. Has that wild jungle feel to it. I'll take some pics when i get home and post it
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Updated pic. Boy does Hygro grow quickly!
I've ordered some foreground plants, will hopefully get them in a week and give it a go. I have normal black silica gravel, so im not sure if the plants will survive. though i will be puttin some flourish root tabs in there.

Also added an airstone on timer for nightime, because fish were gasping. So now i will crank up the CO2 a bit more. Because im still getting quite a bit of GreenSpot Algae. On glass and plants.

What defiency would cause Anubias leaves to go yellow? I'm constantly getting new growth, but a few of the older leaves are yellowing quickly. And theyve never done that before (when i wasnt dosing using EI).

My dosing is the following (for a 24gallon tank with 2.8wpg).

Day 1:
1/4 tsp KNO3
1/2 tsp K2SO4
rice grain of KH2PO4 (~120 mg)
5 mL Flourish
1 ml Flourish Iron

Day 4
1/4 tsp KNO3

source: http://home.iprimus.com.au/clintbrearley/barr.htm
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:21 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
Excellent. I love the natural look.. makes me wanna tear my tank down and rebuild lol. Good job
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You're plants are yellowing because they are running out of food, you think you're hygro is growing fast now, try this

While upping the C02 and adding KH2P04, the green spot will subside.
Day 1: 50% H20 change, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/8Tsp of KH2PO4, 1/8Tsp K2S04
Day 2: 5 mL Flourish, 1 ml Flourish Iron.
Day 3: 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/8Tsp of KH2PO4, 1/8Tsp K2S04
Day 4: see day 2
Day 5: see day 3
Day 6: see day 2
Day 7: see day 1

Quote:
Day 1:
1/4 tsp KNO3
1/2 tsp K2SO4
5 mL Flourish
1 ml Flourish Iron

Day 4
1/4 tsp KNO3
1 day a week is not enough for highlight C02 enrich tank.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode