Mike's 36 Gallon progress (UPDATED 9/14/05) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
Mike's 36 Gallon progress (UPDATED 9/14/05)

Here are some pictures of 36 gallon tank. This was a free tank and all the plants came from a few of my other tanks.

FISH:
9-neons
1-female Endler
1-sae
2-ottos
1-convict, coming out very soon!!

PLANTS:
stargrass
microsword
green hygro
willow moss
java moss
java fern
rotala indica
amazon sword
ludwigia repens
moneywort

Here is how it looked day one: 6/01/05

and here is how it looks now: 9/08/05

I am very happy with the direction this tank has gone. Any comments, tips, hints or criticism are more than welcome, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mshaeffer; 09-14-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Mike,

Why-O-why is that unique and beautiful tank quarantined to your basement? You need to get that thing upstairs and replace those old hang-on-tank filters with a canister.

You've created a fantastic display. Now start treating it like one . Go now, and let me know when you are done .

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Mike,

Why-O-why is that unique and beautiful tank quarantined to your basement? You need to get that thing upstairs and replace those old hang-on-tank filters with a canister.

You've created a fantastic display. Now start treating it like one . Go now, and let me know when you are done .

Ted

My thoughts exactly. I hope the family (wife, girlfriend, mother, whoever) didn't ban the tank to the basement considering it will probably take so much of your time away from them while its down there!!

That driftwood stump looks great...has a really natural feel to it. And the stargrass surrounding it gives it quite an artistic touch!! Nice.

Re-boot!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I know why its there Mike... it first started as an experiment AND every man needs a place to chill...

Very nice tank , love the open top look with that forest growing out ! The stargrass is a perfect choice for that wood... you get for this one.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Planted Member

I am with Buck on this every man needs a place to get away and tinker

Tanks looks great

150 gallon. eco complete, 330 watt cf, eheim 2128 and 2028, pressurized co2 with am 1000 reactor, pinpoint ph controller
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the comments!!!
Buck..You are SO right. It started as " well I'll just throw these clippings in here" and turned into what you see today. As for it being in the basement, my 55 gallon is the only tank upstairs, the other 6 join this one in the basement (which is set up like a family room and my hide out from the wife and kid).

I am working on getting a canister filter for it, I'm just not sure which one I want.

Thanks
Mike

Albert Einstein

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
that looks great! i really like it. I wish i could get my stargrass to grow low like that.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great, I always have liked the open top tanks. Very good job.
One thing I would try is with that much stump exposed some emersed plants could be really fun.

Retired 2003
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:39 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wow, great job!!!

I second the emersed plants on stump idea! it would be awesome!!

Though I don't know what you'd choose. I think most terrarium plants would be burnt to a crisp under that much light and nothing increasing the humidity . . . Maybe african floating fern (water sprite) that has its roots reaching the water . . .
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well a few changes have been made!
I received some Glosso from Random_alias on Friday. I hope I planted it the right way Hopefully it will take off and spread all across the front of the tank. Now you can see more of the rocks in front of the wood!!

Anyway, here are some pics:

Again, any comments, tips, hints or criticism are more than welcome, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Albert Einstein

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:52 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
This tank looks awsome!! I love the wood and the rock combo!!!
The gloss should spread if you have enough light!

Keep up the good work
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are a few more pics. With the hanging light I get a ton of glare on the tank, even with all the other lights off. So, I tried to drop the light down onto the tank, I hope this looks ok. If the glosso doesn't take off the stargrass will be let to fill in the front again

Well here are the pics:

Albert Einstein

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
hah be careful. Glosso, afterall, is a weed and under the right conditions (and high enough light), it will take over everything. I had some in my tank and it slowly worked its way around, strangling other plants out in the process! I even found runners in the back of the tank, amongst thick stem plant foliage! Anyway, good luck. You planted the glosso perfectly, just give it a little time. Post updates when it grows out more!

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Looks awsome man! I am jealous, Russell won't let me have more then one tank.

Given any thought to those emsered plants? maybe adding some plants around the tank so you have to move some leaves to look around into the tank might be cool. I am all for the jungle inside and outside of a tank.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No I haven't given any thought to emersed plants I am just going to stick with one thing at a time......

Does anyone know how hard it is to breed neons? Or if it can be done? I would love to breed them and sell them back to the lfs....

Also, a little off topic, My Archocentrus myrnae has laid eggs!!!!!!! Sorry they are in another tank, I am just very excited!!
Here is picture of what I am talking about:

Albert Einstein

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode