Really Trying This Time: 15 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really Trying This Time: 15 Gallon

Warning: Long Story Ahead

So, I've been addicted to this forum for the last month. I've absorbed an overwhelming amount of information, even to the point of being nervous about starting another tank due to all the options available. I currently have a 10 gallon planted for going on three years now, I need to re-scape it and it will have it's own journal. It is very low tech. This time I plan on Really Trying.

Pic:

I got a great deal on the tank from my local PetCo. Went there looking into their $1 per Gallon sale. I have an empty 20 long already, which may or may not get set up eventually. I didn't want to commit to the 40 Breeder just yet. So I see this 15 gallon and it looks like the one, considering I already had lighting for it.
I ask the Manager if he can sell it to me for $1 per gallon. He hesitantly says "Well, I can give you a few bucks off". We get to talking and I explain I have a light fixture perfect for this size tank, and the 20H is too tall for my liking. I tell him I plan on planting it, etc. Turns out, he is a hobbyist like you and I!
He tells me about his planted tanks, I mention PlantedTank.net and how much I've learned here, yada yada. Then he says, "How about $20?" SOLD!

Here I am.

Tank: 15 Gallon Aqueon
Lighting: 24" Glo T5x2, 48 Watts
(Should I go with LED's instead?)
Substrate: TBD
Stand: TBD
Filtration: TBD (probably Eheim 22XX)
CO2: ehhhh, it's a possibility?
Flora: TBD
Fauna: TBD (most likely fancy SHRIMPS!)

It will definitely be a long journey as I could barely afford the tank, even at such a great price. Little by little I will be putting all this together. I plan on putting in real effort this time, making each decision with purpose towards a planned end result.

Sorry for the long story, if your still reading, Thanks!

Looking for suggestions on anything and everything. In particular, plant recommendations, as I am still lost in the world of possibilities. I like moss, and crypts, open to whatever. What will my lighting be able to Grow?

Thanks All!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~~~~~~

:
DBP 3 Gallon Long

Last edited by A.D.D.i.c.t.; 01-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

Those are some high power lights you will be able to grow pretty much any high light plant there. I love baby tears, good high light plant also wisteria. Just my opinion.

-Luke
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

that's a lot of light for 12" tall, you'll need to raise it or add a lot of Co2 and heavy dosing

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do have the extensions included with the light fixture. I'd say it raises it roughly 3-4 inches. Would that help? I could also wrap it in something to reduce output. I am leery on CO2, but it is in consideration. Would be even more of an investment though.... Looking forward to this build though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode