Loach/Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Loach/Planted tank

well I am new to planted tanks so after a bit of research I am giving it a go.
Link to pictures-- http://photobucket.com/albums/y88/ne...=tanksmall.jpg
The tank is a 40 gallon low (breeder?) with a HOB filter that has the intake for it on the other end of the tank. You can see the sponge for it on the lower left side. Hopefully the Java fern will block it from view soon.
My other filter is a fluval 204 that also has the intake on the left side. So the flow to the tank is a half way strong right to left flow. With river sand covering the bottom the "junk" stays ontop of the sand and flows towards the left. It makes the tank easier to clean. The whole flow from one side to the other is kinda like a river tank but without the super fast flow.
I do have a black background for it but I just moved so one step at a time;-)
I used local river sand and mixed a bit of terralit in with it when putting in the plants.
The rocks from Lake Superior are to match my Botia kubotai's.

Fish are--3 kubotai (polka dot loaches), 4 Botia striata (zebra loaches), 1 Dario loach, 1 SAE and 4 hatchet fish.
Plants are--java fern, dwarf sag, java moss, thick val (not doing so well) and thinner val (doing super), various Anubias, various crypts.

Light at 2.5 watt and just started the store bought CO2. I don't dose too often as I want a low labour tank but I do use both Leaf Zone and Plant Gro.
I really like how the right side is higher than the middle and am thinking of doing that to the left too and having the dwarf sag in the lower middle. I will move the left rock structure over alittle more to the left to block the sponge. I am also going to put some java fern on the drift wood when I get the time.
The photo was taken right after I put the take back together so it is now alittle different.
any advice/feed back welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound
I really like how the right side is higher than the middle and am thinking of doing that to the left too and having the dwarf sag in the lower middle.
I also like the island the driftwood arch. Nicely done.

Owen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm a sucker for loaches and planted tank, so far I haven't been able to keep both in the same tank. Looks like you're doing great, kudos to you!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpow
I'm a sucker for loaches and planted tank, so far I haven't been able to keep both in the same tank. Looks like you're doing great, kudos to you!
from the looks of things I'd venture a guess that clowns have something to do with it?!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Awesome loaches... thanks for sharing. Make my Yoyos look kinda plain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks everyone:-)
I love the way Yo-yos look when they are mature.
I had one but it got way too nippy for everyone.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
from the looks of things I'd venture a guess that clowns have something to do with it?!

BINGO!

9 Clowns (3"-4")
3 Dojos (4")
5 Silver Dollars
1 Redfin Shark

I'm letting the dollars & shark go this week. Still trying to find new home.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
I like your loaches, and your rock piles are unique. Very nice!!

- Join today!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

not all those loaches are in the same tank.
I think my big dario would finish off my small very mellow histronica.
That tiny guy is in another tank with my sids, which I am going to change into a 20 or 40 gallon long.
I will do the same thing as I have done in this tank. The intake for the filters will be at the other side of the tank, creating a good cross flow.
I think I will make it really multi layered. Going from high, down steps to the lowest level. This will really allow all the junk to go to the lowest part of the tank and make clean up easy.
PLUS--I really like the way it looks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
I love the way Yo-yos look when they are mature.
I had one but it got way too nippy for everyone.
Yeah they definitely need to be in groups. I have 3 and they mostly play around with each other.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
I LOVE LOACHES!!!! I am SO jealous! Makes me almost want to get another tank just to have some loaches besides my Khulies.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

maybe we should start a "Loach Pimp Club"
LOL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode