My 30 Gallon Pit of "Relaxation" Updated 12/12/05 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
My 30 Gallon Pit of "Relaxation" Updated 12/12/05

This is the story of my aquatic purgatory.

So with very little to do, here's the tank:

The five remaining tufts of glosso are still in the corner taunting me, and I purposely took the picture at an angle to remove all evidence of Murphy's handiwork.

It seems odd: The glosso plants just fine. I've found a total of THREE glosso bits floating around thus far.

Am I planting the glosso too thickly? (Ignore the blue. It's a saltwater lighting setup with one 96w blue bulb and one 96w 12k bulb. No flash = long exposure = too much blue.)

I can feel the algae bloom coming.

Ideas, suggestions, corrections welcome.

Edit: Oops, forgot to give the specs:

30 gal.
60lb eco-complete.
96w 12k compact fluorescent
96w blue actinic (yeah I know, I have a salt-water lighting system)
Fluval 304
DIY CO2

Hygrophila polysperma "sunset"
Rotala Indica
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Glossostigma elatinoides
Nymphaea zenkeri "red"

2 otos
6 neons
158,678,684 snails
234,895,565,568,236,842,134 ostracods (approximately)

Last edited by Snailpoo; 12-14-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice work on the glosso planting. i know how it can be a $#@%ing pain.

anyways, get your lighting changed! go for something in the 5000K-6700K, and you will soon have a nice glosso carpet.

you got co2 right?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:24 AM

Nice. And your post re Murphy was great!

However, you need to move all the glosso to the left end of the tank...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Holy crap...that must have taken forever and I bet you have sore arms and pruned fingers!! I suppose you'll find out if you planted the glosso to close together in about 3 weeks!! I'm placing bets that you'll be yanking a literal "carpet sod" of glosso out of your tank in about 2 months!! Looks good..

Re-boot!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

I've gotten smarter. Now that I know I've bought too much glosso, I've seperated the bunches to allow more light and am waiting (uhh.... yeah, that's the reason why I'm procrastinating, errr, waiting, and I'm sticking to it!) for each plantlet to grow longer roots before I plant them.

Do I really need to change the lights? I've read that 12K was ok for planting, that 12k wasn't ok for plants, and that it really didn't matter what K you had. Also, this is a 30 gallon tank. If the blue bulb is ineffective, I have 96watts. If the blue bulb is effective, I have 192 watts. I sort of like the blue... it makes my neons amazing, and I plan to get blue rams. The blue shouldn't "cancel" out the regular lights right? Wavelenghts add, not average?

I do have CO2, but it's DIY with an inefficient reactor from the Fluval 304 return --it leaks small bubbles from time to time. I'm not too worried about my CO2 levels as my plants pearl. My defining trait is laziness, so my test kits are still sitting on the store shelf.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
yeah, it's fine to have blue for aesthetic, but it really doesn't help-- kelvin DOES matter. 12000k is unusual, but it might be ok (I have no idea . . .). I've heard of going as high as 10000k, though some people think even that is pushing it-- though I personally find it works great.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

snailpoo, where did you pickup the glosso, pacific on delancy? only place in the city Ive seen it. been thinking about pickin some up myself, nice work.
Jack
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got all my plants from aquariumplants.com. If you get a bunch of plants all at once to offset the shipping costs, it's quite a good deal.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 02:53 PM
eds

Snailpoo

I think the 3d and 4th glosso in from the left are just a tad too close together. Take care of that, will ya?
Other than that, looks great!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have had luck with 10,000K, never gone upto 12K for plants. Depending on the pin style for your PC bulbs it may be harder to find. I know my streight pin 96W are hard to find in 6500K, while the square pins are available for cheap on ebay.
I have found a few sources for the linear pin a few places but they are all ~$30 a bulb. For a planted tank 12K IMO looks strange, the colors and natural ambiance of the tank seems overwhelmed by blues.

BTW the tank is going to look great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:20 PM

Glosso is SUCH a pain! I planted a 3' by 1' square area the other day, i thought i was going to lose my damn mind!

Best of luck!,
Nate
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wuzzy wuzzy is my tank.

Or Murphy's Rogaine started working. My Pit of Relaxation has now doomed my Saturday to heading to Home Depot to buy a timer (I leave my lights on while I'm at work, which is 9 to 12,... 15, 18 hours) and to Petco to buy a more robust water test kit and a few ottos.

Cutting the light cycle to 6 hours a day should help, right?

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

eds: Unfortunately, the glosso are no longer under my control. Two days ago, they banded together to declare their independence as an independent sovereign state, expressing their inalienable right to sit there and look ugly unless their demands are met. Negotiations have broken down due to my inability to speak glosso.

dissident: The second picture is very deceptive. When looking at the lighted tank, there's only a barely noticable tinge of blue, much like the first picture. However, when I don't use the flash and settle for a longer exposure, my pictures of the tank take on a blue wash, like the second picture. Incidentally, my camera is a 7.2 megapixel Murphy's Special, but that's another story.

morinfen: 3' x 1' ?!?
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm still waiting for the glosso to grow in on the left (ok, not so much waiting as being too lazy to get around to finish planting the glosso until tonight), so here's the right side.

Looking at the first picture, it's difficult to believe that this was one month's worth of growth. I've already trimmed the stargrass twice.

Last edited by Snailpoo; 09-21-2005 at 04:06 PM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think the colors are just amazing. It looks very unigue.

Looks great

What size tank is this and are you using the 12k lights currently?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
1 month! WOW! Awesome pictures! Loved the tale of "murphy vs plant vs man!" What's that plant with the purple flowers?

Keep rockin!

the KIDD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode