Got salty... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Got salty...

I'm really proud of how this tank turned out.

It started as an Angel breeder, turned into a turtle tank, then a tetra tank, and now it's saltwater for good.... until I get more space for a bigger saltwater tank.

And yes, there are live plants in it.... errr.... live macroalgae......

Cuteyptootie....

Last edited by sarahbobarah; 08-23-2005 at 07:30 AM. Reason: forgot to add pic ... lol....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice tank how long has it bin set up for

i also have a saltwater tank with lots of live plants....... algae i might post some pics of mine
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

4 months later!

Check out how big the rose anemone got!!! quadrupled in size!!!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

No comments on my planted saltwater tank???
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
No comments on my planted saltwater tank???

Its because we're in awe!! Really great lookin!! How big is it? I've always been too timid to even attempt saltwater and you've done a great job! The algae looks great. Shoot, I've seen those planted refuges that sometimes look better than the tank and yours is a great blend of both rock and algae. Do you just have the clowns in there?

Re-boot!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I've been getting the itch to do a salty, just haven't yet. And it would have to be a nano'ish tank, and I've heard that isn't the best way to get started in salt.
I must say though, that is does look to be working well for you and looks very nice too.

Curious...
What size is that tank?
What lighting?
What filtration?
Substrate?
Any feeding issues?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Quadrupled in size... nice growth and healthy looking..

Of course I want that should I have another chance. I have not been so lucky at keeping saltwater setup in the past. Well.. perhaps some other time in the future I will try another attempt with an approach of new technologies.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

The idea that saltwater tanks are hard to maintain is no longer true! I've proved it!

This tank is a 20g tall with a coralife CF fixture: I believe it's 65 watts 50/50 actinic. Filtration is just an old-skool HOB filter that they don't even make anymore! LOL.... There's a Seaclone venturi protein skimmer and a UV filter on only when I feel like turning it on (maybe one day a month or every two months).

The substrate is old crushed coral I scavenged from my LFS when we remodeled and tore down our old saltwater tanks. Same with the big plastic pink coral which I'm using to anchor down floating algae frags.

As for livestock, I've got:
2 clowns
Coral beauty angel
4 pajama cardinals
Orchid dottyback
Camel shrimp
Lawnmower blenny
4 burrowing turbo snails
a gazillion blue-knuckled hermit crabs
1 rose anemone - I feed it shrimp once a week.

35% water change once a month.

Freshwater topoffs weekly.

The live rock and the macro algae do most of the biological filtration and the macro algae keeps the nitrates down.

Thanks for the comments
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The one criticism I have of most salty tanks is that they look too busy. Yours is absolutely not. Very pleasing to the eye. And as beautiful as your 'plants' make that tank, I can't for the life of me figure out why more sw folks don't use them. Mind you, I'm painfully biased towards the beauty of plants. But, even if I wasn't, I still wouldn't like my tank to look like a pile of concrete and Christmas ornaments .

Very nice work, Sarah. You make a 20g look like a 50.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
You said thats a 20 g high?..If so, you have way too many saltwater fish for that size tank!..A 20 gal. can maybe hold 2-4 fish (depending on size) and thats being generous..I dont know if you have been told this but I am just warning you that your tank is way over stocked..I have a 55 gal. saltwater setup and have 4 tiny fish in it (check my tank pics as I am making a thread after this one in the photo booth!)..and its been set up for about 2 years..Take the angel and all the cardinals out and it will be stocked well..For those of you that dont know..Saltwater fish stocking rule is about 1 inch per 5 gallons..So you cant stock saltwater tanks like you can with freshwater tanks..You should always do your research especially when setting up saltwater tank..

I hope this doesnt start some sort of arguement I just wanna help!...

My 20 gallon long journal:

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to aanderson09
sry but I agree with organic sideburns, it looks great, you may wana take out the cardinals though, I have a 20g high fowlr and I only have 2 sebae clowns in it for more saltwater help visit coralforum.com

btw, I also am mostly saltwater, I also have a 110g sw reef

When in doubt, take it out!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I hear you both on your valid points. However, the tank has achieved a balance and I'm not going to tamper with it.

There's a rule about requiring a protein skimmer... and that's not always true.
There's a rule about inch per gallon for freshwater too ... and that's not always true.

There are rules about adding live rock before/after/during cycling - it depends on who you talk to. And then the rules about undergravel filtration...etc...

The important thing is: Know the "rules" ... so you know when to break them.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to aanderson09
yeah, I guess it's alright if it's stable, I'm interested in your water quality though, what's your ammonia lv? nitrate? nitrite? also I'm interested in what that yellow fish is in the first picture taken 4 months ago

When in doubt, take it out!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Quote:
Originally Posted by aanderson09
yeah, I guess it's alright if it's stable, I'm interested in your water quality though, what's your ammonia lv? nitrate? nitrite? also I'm interested in what that yellow fish is in the first picture taken 4 months ago

a molly it looks like..great addition to saltwater tanks IF they are fully saltwater lol..nice lilfish..balloon shaped

My 20 gallon long journal:

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:08 PM

Is that a molly in there? Usually they're brackish but I can see why you put him in there.

Awww! And a cute Pajama Cardinal Fish!

Nice job! I see a lot of saltwater tanks that are just boring live rock with a few fake decorations... This one is amazing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode