135 Gallon, Slate Take 2 (56k Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)
135 Gallon, Slate Take 2 (56k Warning)

Well.. I finally did it... I tore down the 135 gallon to move it a mere 100 feet. I hated to do it, but it had really, really fallen apart during the move. So here we go, a fresh start... This time with Slate again.

Lets start with the fishroom view;

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-003.jpg
45 Gallon, 90 Gallon, and the 135 Gallon. The 20 Gallon is to the right of the 135.
In the fish room I have the 45 Gallon tank which will be arranged with 2 pieces of wood and several stones forming an island in the center of the tank. A stone heap with wood protruding from it towards the top of the tank. Grassy plants will be planted around the island leaving the ends of the tank open.

Alternately, I was debating about running this as a filterless, or extremely reduced filtration tank, filling it with moss, and raising shrimp. There are many idea's... Including making it a river tank for hillstream loaches (Like I've been talking about for 2 years now)

The 90 Gallon is currently my Loach tank, however the clowns and striata's will be moving ino the 135 Gallon with the bala's and pleco's that are currently housed in the 45 gallon.

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-014.jpg
The 90 gallon tank, in all its lackluster.
Not much to say aout this tank yet.. I have ratty plants I am trying to recover in a low light tank. The swords are growing fantastically, and I have even propagated 7 baby plants from dying parent plants. The babies are growing like gangbusters and should replace the parents plants soon. Many of my plants did not survive the move... However I think I can recover almost all the swords and crypts.

Here is the 20 Gallon tank. I moved all of my small fish into this tank to give them a rest from fighting with the bigger fish for food.

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-015.jpg
The 20 Gallon tank, small tank for small fish.
So here it is.. the 135.. Mind the murk.. it is only 2 hours after it was filled. The 135 Is going to house My original CLown loaches, plus another 5-6 new ones, my original 2 Bala Sharks, plus another 3-4 new ones, 2 largeish pleco's, 3 Botia Striata's, and a red tail black shark. I might toss in a school of barbs... But I am not sure yet what type... Golden Barbs or Tiger Barbs are toppin gmy list at the moment.

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-012.jpg

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-013.jpg

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-005.jpg
Left side of the tank; Although it would have been nice to have a terrace on this side as well, I opted to go for
the enclosed tunnel system. I may redo this later if I decided I don't like it, but we'll see how the fish use it. I
really like the wood arrangement on this side though, so I think it will be permanent.

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/ima...5/fish-010.jpg
Right side of the tank; I enjoyed making this terrace, it masks several pieces of lose white PVC that can be used
as caves for the fish. Due to the positioning of the pipes under the gravel, the fish will have to constantly dig
them out to maintain them.
Under the wood and slate pile on the left, there is a tunnel structure built from white piping. There are 3 entrances, and are mostly hidden from view by the slate. The entrances are small enough to preven the pleco's from entering, but large enough that the clowns can retreat into them if they need to get away.

Sorry about the crappy picture quality.. I was in a rush tonight.. not much time these days to spend on this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

ok.. I cleaned up the post a bit... What can I say, it was late.. I was tired.. heh.. this should be a bit better.

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
The left side looks great! I personally don't like the right side with the driftwood draping over the slate...almost looks cramped. What else are you planning?

Re-boot!

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I am redoing the right side.. don't worry... ;-) I am probably just taking out one piece of wood from the right.. opening it up..

I am still trying to get inspired as to what to do with this tank... Its been a while and I've been suffering from "Aquascaping Block"

Did you mean you dont like the look of hte left side? The right side doesnt have anything draping... The pieces are stuck into the sand, pointing up... I might redo the right side with some of the wood from the 90 to try and make a nifty "stump like" arrangement. I havent quite decided yet though..

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
The left side looks great! I personally don't like the right side with the driftwood draping over the slate...almost looks cramped. What else are you planning?

Augh...my brain is melting from work!! I meant the left side....the right side looks great!! The terrace on the right looks a lot more natural than the left. Yes, I'm directionally challenged....

Re-boot!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I like the new look! it's great, i have to disagree about the left side, i love the wood over the slate...I also love the right side as the slate does look a little more natural.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also think the left side looks pretty cool!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I love the left side as well. Reminds me of pictures I have seen from old Inca ruins with the trees growing around the big boulders. The placement of the wood on the right, however, I'm not sure about.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I have already adjusted the wood on the right a bit.. the front most piece was really looking "odd" so it was re-planted into the sand in a totally different way. THe Ferns have been moved to the left side as well.

I added my Bala Sharks and one pleco to this tank last night and they love it already. THe Bala's really needed to get into this tank again.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Ok.. So here is the tank after it has cleared.. and several new fish added. 60 Neon Tetra's and 3 Botia Myanmar (Burmese Polkadot Botias)

The 135 Gallon starting to look a little better.

The 135 Gallon again, looking from the right.

Left side.

Right Side.

Two of the new loaches!

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 02:36 AM

Love the new set up Gareth. Those stacks of slate and that draping root on the left look very natural.
What type of wood are those? Kind of reminds me of grapevine but they look too big for that.
Andy
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

That wood is african mopani... Its very similar to grapevine in its twisty nature.

I'm pretty happy with it so far!

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of slate (looks very unnatural, IMO)...but I think if you were to add some more dramatic variation to the pile on the right side as you do on the left, it would look much better.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I am thinking about stealing the good mopani from the 90 gallon and moving it in to here.. I could make a very nice looking root like display on both sides of the tank. The trick will be doing it without sacrificing too much plantable space for hardscape

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Well tonight I moved more wood into the 135. I've decided to make this tank more about hardscape, then plants. So the hardscape will be the prominent feature. I will still have a large number of plants in the "ravine" of the tank, however there will only be a few ferns to accent the wood and slate.

Here is the 135 now, with a "lot" more wood, and another "root" system taking over the slate. I've added a few
baby swords, and a variety I can't remember.

This is just a better shot of the new root tangle on the right hand side. I like this layout a lot, and even the larger
fish like the bala's are swimming in and around the wood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode