Kyle's first 10gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Kyle's first 10gallon

Here's some pics of my new 10 gallon. It's only been going for a few weeks and I'm not really particularly attached to anything at this point.

I will probably replace the big rock with a small piece of driftwood + a smaller rock, if I can find something. Finding rocks here in NYC is hard

The mossballs will never fit, well eventually I'm going to toss them in the midst of whatever groundcover I get growing so it'll seem less alien, but I like having them around.

Some specs:

DIY co2 (30ppm)
4 dKH
gh 300ppm
nitrite 3ppm <- Yikes?
nitrate 20ppm
PH 6.6
40 watts of lighting (6,500K & 10,000K) @ 12 hours a day

No fert yet aside from a weekly dose of micro. Going to do some dry ferts from GW soon.

3 x bumblebee gobys (Brachygobius xanthozona)
3 x cardinal tetra (Cheirodon axelrodi)
3 x otocinclus (Otocinclus affinis)
2 x cherry barb (Barbus titteya)
3 x japonica shrimp (Caridina japonica)
2 x siamese algae eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis)

Last edited by Kyle; 08-08-2005 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Adding some more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 04:08 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good so far. Id get some more plants in there asap, and get going on the ferts soon. Nice looking fish.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! I'm making the rounds of LFS to find somewhere with decent plants, the selection has been slim pickins so far..

I've had some other stuff in there, more elodea, and some pygmy chains which went through some weird rot, the base of the leaves was basically gone but the end of the leaves survived. I tore em out today because they were doing more harm than good.

I hope to get some Brazilian Micro and Rotala Indica in there and maybe some Riccia as soon as I can find some

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
Thanks! I'm making the rounds of LFS to find somewhere with decent plants, the selection has been slim pickins so far..
It looks like you have a great start.

I have had great luck with the Swap and Shop pages. Take a look, or put out a want to buy thread with some of the plants you want. You'll generally get more and healthier plants for the buck than a LFS. Not sure about adding ferts right away. You may want to look around for some of the threads about new tanks, or dosing. I have read quite a few posts saying waiting a month before adding ferts is the norm. Just my 0.02.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good Kyle!

We'll have to get the ferts going soon on our tanks, it will help alot. If you can ever find some decent plants, that is.

Adrien
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good, 1 thing though is that bumblebee gobies are brackish water fish. They won't last long in fresh water.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've read conflicting things along those lines Biznatch. I've read that much like japonica shrimp they rarely successfully breed in freshwater because the babies need more brackish water.

My LFS keeps their gobys in freshwater (they came from the same tank as the cardinals).

I've had them for about 3 weeks now w/ no problems, they seem to be eating the frozen brine shrimp i've been feeding them well.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
They are for sure brackish fish, there have been lots of discussions about them. LFS also sell a lot of brackish puffers that they keep in freshwater. Just like gobies they can survive in freshwater, for a while.

The amano shrimp have to be put in saltwater to survive. In APC I believe, there was a guy posting his experience rasing them. Right when they hatch they need to go straight into salt water untill they morph, then they go back to freshwater.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 AM

Kyle -- that clearish rock on the left -- is it slowly dissolving? If so you may want to remove it. It drove up my TDS (total dissolved solids). I believe it is Gypsum. My java fern loved it but my other plants weren't as happy.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
Kyle -- that clearish rock on the left -- is it slowly dissolving? If so you may want to remove it. It drove up my TDS (total dissolved solids). I believe it is Gypsum. My java fern loved it but my other plants weren't as happy.
Pisces, I don't think it is gypsum. Well, it might be. My LFS was selling it for tank decoration. I haven't noticed it dissolving in the month it has in there, but it may very well be. If I think back to when I had a rock collection I seem to remember gypsum being like shale and more fragile, this is relatively solid.

Next time I'm at the LFS though I'll have to ask. It could very well be. What is the downside to having a higher TDS? Does it decrease your waters solubility?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
kyle you need some e.triandra in there good looking tank though. :tup:
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 01:57 PM

It will look great when those plants grow
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thumbs up Update!

Made some "progress"

Despite the fact that I am moving in 2 months and will have to tear down the tank, I've done some planting recently.

Right now the tank has:

Echinodorus Tenellus (Pygmy Chain Swords)
Echinodorus Rubin (Red Rubin)
Cryptocoryne Parva
E. Trianda
A little sag

Mossballs had to go (They will live on my desk at work I think).

Just planted the E. Trianda today, so it doesn't look like much, and most of my pygmy swords have been shifted around lately.

I need to move the red rubin out from the back wall so it can spread out a bit, but it's pretty firmly rooted now.

Started on ferts last week, and installed a pressurized co2 setup today, so here's to some growth in the next few weeks!

Oh and I am down a few fish Something went berzerk while i was gone this weekend and ate all 4 cardinals and one of my gobys disappeared yesterday.

Click on a pic for some higher res ones!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Very nice. Are you feeding the CO2 through the internal filter?

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! I have some BBA i need to kill off (go co2!) but its shaping up a tad. Eventually I'm going to move all of the swords into the rear and let the E. Trianda fill out the front. I have a super cool rock I found this weekend that is just a wee bit too big I think, so maybe when I move I'll move up to a 20g.

Yeah, I'm injecting the co2 into the duetto which does a pretty good job chopping up the bubbles. When I move and get a stand of some sort, I'm going to pick up an xp2 and make a DIY reactor and one of those Hydor inline heaters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode