Native 20L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Native 20L

Here is a 20L I have going, everything being collected from a local tributary of the Columbia River here in central Washington state. The only fish species in the tank are a bunch of juvenile Couesius plumbeus, or lake chub. Lighting is an 80 watt shoplight, substrate is sand and gravel from the streambed (with a handful of potting soil at the bottom for some nutrients), and filtration/waterflow comes from a Duetto 50.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like it. Looks just like a slice out of the stream. I think "regional" tanks are going to catch on. The Amazon isn't the only place plants grow . Those thin sticks might not work out, however. They still look a bit, er, terrestrial. Might be unsightly (fungus) soon.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I really like the tank, any idea what species the plants are?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

unirdna, those sticks are terrestrial. The banks and shallows of waterways around here are littered with fallen branches (most of the streams are shaded by groves of dogwood shrubs and cottonwood trees, so the branches inevitably end up in the water). They've been submerged for months now--the fungus came and went a long time ago. The junk on them now was caused from too much CO2 in another tank they were in, and some hair algae is still hanging on.

Urkevitz, I'm trying to figure out what species of grass this is. It is all over the banks of the rivers around here, some of it even growing in the water and staying dormant until the levels lower and then it goes nuts. I'm not having much luck in IDing it. I only have about 1/2-2/3 of it submerged in the tank (it's an open top setup) so hopefully it will settle in and start sending out runners.

-Takashi Amano
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 02:23 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice... as long as the grass is coming out of the surface it should do fine. I think its great that you used ALL your materials from the tributary, stone , sand , wood and fish !

Awesome...and I really like the fish !!

I hope you didnt use too much potting soil under there...that can get ugly in an aquarium real quick.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
great work! i love local/native-themed tanks i keep meaning to start one, but i always run across some nice fish at the store, and well, everyone knows how it goes. anyway, after one or two of my current tanks are broken down, i plan on starting a setup with a local theme. fantastic pics, those little fish look like baby flying foxes!

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, guys! There is actually very little potting soil in there--I was worried about it getting nasty, so there is probably only a total of a handful (maybe two) in there.

These fish are great in the tank right now: they move almost nonstop, occasionally resting on the bottom or the large rock...but then taking off and scrounging for food. Right now they are all 1" or a bit smaller, but full grown they will all reach about 6-9" (I'll release them as they get larger, of course).

-Takashi Amano
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yet again, great tank Skylsdale! You had BETTER enter those things this year or I'll send my "people" after you.

Regards,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Don't worry Phil...I plan on entering this one in the contest. I'm a little hesitant as the grass isn't completely established or "grown in," but I suppose it still looks alright.

-Takashi Amano
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You've still got a month yet [to kick my butt].

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
so i actually bought 4 baby SAEs today, and I'm serious... that's EXACTLY what they look like... i'll post pics later tonight

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are a couple more pics. One is of the tank now that the water is a bit clearer, and the other shows the profile and body shape of the fish a bit more than the last shot:

-Takashi Amano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode