Changing to Glosso and/or HC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing to Glosso and/or HC

I eventually plan to replace the Sag with Glosso and/or HC. Is was thinking HC on the left in front of the Java fern/wood and Glosso covering the entire right hand space. Other options would be to go 100% Glosso or 100% HC. Any input appreciated - art isn't my strong point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd use one or the other in the foreground, not both.

Glosso is far easier to grow than HC, but glosso can also get overgrown quickly, while HC grows much slower.

If you've never delt with plants of such small stature, you might wanna get you're feet wet with glosso first. HC can get really frustrating in the beginning till it takes off.

Glosso on the other hand is very forgiving and it should reward you with great growth inside of 2 weeks.

Marcel
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I wish you lived in the US...when you make your change I'm sure someone would buy off all the Sag from you...really nice and healthy looking!!

Re-boot!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the advice.

How does one maintain Glosso? Is it just a case of cutting away unwanted growth? I assume I'll have to up my lighting - I'm running 2 WPG HO T8 currently, I have the kit to go up to 3.6 WPG if needed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I wished you live in the US as well, I really want those sags!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 08:00 PM

Glosso is extremely invasive. It is very difficult to cut any growth out because it tends to overlap eachother and become intwined in eachother. Generally, you have to rip the whole lawn and replant after it gets too thick becuase the glosso laying underneath new growth will be covereed and die. It is a beautiful plant though! =D

Just an idea. I've always wanted to do a terranced tank with glosso and HC at different levels. Maybe that would work out in your tank. GL with what ever you decide!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Thanks for the advice.

How does one maintain Glosso? Is it just a case of cutting away unwanted growth? I assume I'll have to up my lighting - I'm running 2 WPG HO T8 currently, I have the kit to go up to 3.6 WPG if needed.
Glosso grows on top of itself, so after awhile you have to pull it all out and replant it. You'll probably need to go with more light and CO2.

Marcel
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sounds a bit high maintenance.

What's the score with HC?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 PM

It is high maintenance. Thats why I stopped growing it.

I'm starting some HC now. But so far it's anything but a fast grower. I'm having a real hard time trying to get HC established in my tank. I've had it for about 5 weeks now and I probably have less now than when I started. It's getting overtaken by algae and constantly pulling out of the substrate.

Here in the US, HC isn't cheap! It's literally worth it's weight in gold..... and then some. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I think I would have thrown it all away by now. That's kinda why I suggested you start off with glosso. But if HC is fairly inexpensive in your neck of the woods, give it a shot.

Marcel
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks.

Does HC root into the substrate? Any tips on getting it started?

If I go the HC route I'll replace the Sag slowly I think to keep the balance. The Sag is the only thing that grows with any pace - if I ripped it all out in one go I reckon I'd have an algae issue in no time.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Location: Malaysia, Truly Asia, with beautiful tropical rainforest
George,
Have you tried hairgrass? They are very nice foreground plants too...
I just got some from my friend and waiting for it propagate in my new tank...

If your tank has high light... maybe you can try riccia lawn... very high maintainance but its really rewarding when you see a sea of pearls...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
George,

I've had long term success with Glossostigma by cutting away portions of it with a razor blade and letting it re-grow those areas. Think a checkerboard. One month I would remove the black squares and let it grow in. The next month I'd cut the red squares. That way every patch got trimmed every two months. For the very front areas I'd cut a 2-3" strip away from the glass to keep it from piling up against the front pane. This technique was especially helpful in the zones where it abutted another plant grouping. It's also great for maintaining a stock of usable patches of glosso for sale or trade.

Regards,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 01:45 PM

i would say leave it. Your tank is mad
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticmagic
George,
Have you tried hairgrass? They are very nice foreground plants too...
I just got some from my friend and waiting for it propagate in my new tank...

If your tank has high light... maybe you can try riccia lawn... very high maintainance but its really rewarding when you see a sea of pearls...
I've had success with haigrass and riccia. Fancied something a bit different.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards
George,

I've had long term success with Glossostigma by cutting away portions of it with a razor blade and letting it re-grow those areas. Think a checkerboard. One month I would remove the black squares and let it grow in. The next month I'd cut the red squares. That way every patch got trimmed every two months. For the very front areas I'd cut a 2-3" strip away from the glass to keep it from piling up against the front pane. This technique was especially helpful in the zones where it abutted another plant grouping. It's also great for maintaining a stock of usable patches of glosso for sale or trade.

Regards,
Phil
Great idea, thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode