George's 33G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
George's 33G

I know it's not generally accepted to keep Discus single but after some research and feedback from various sources I decided to take the plunge.

The tank is 33 Gallon, 20" tall. pH 6.5, KH 3, GH 6, NO3 15ppm (dosed), PO4 1ppm (dosed), CO2 30ppm. 50% weekly water change RO/CBR filtered tap 50:50 mix.

Fish - 4 inch juvenile Red Marlboro Discus, 28 Cardinal tetra, 4 Otos, 8 Amano shrimp.

Plants - Microsorium pteropus on bogwood, Sagittaria platyphylla, Crinum calistratium.

Lighting - 2 WPG HO T8 (4 x 18W)

Substrate - Dennerle Deponit, black quartz, 25W heater cable.

Ferts - KNO3, KH2PO4, Dennerle range (S7, E15, V30)

CO2 - 2 x Nutrafin (soon to be pressurized).

Long-term plans include pH controller for pressurized CO2. T5 lighting and changing foreground planting to Hemianthus callitrichoides.

Last edited by George; 10-15-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Jim

The tank looks really nice. I would reconsider the solo discus though and add at least one companion. Watch the ottos and make sure they don't attach themselves to the discus (for the slime coat). I know Sha has reported having this problem in his tank.

Jim
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
yes, I did see ottos attaching to discus and sucking on them, leaving ugly marks. After I removed half of ottos, now I rarely see the problem. So in retrospect, it was probably due to the fact that I don't have enough algae for all of them (used to have about two dozen in the 100gallon tank).

The single discus will do fine if fed well, but just looks a bit odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
No comments about the discus solo, but you do have a very nice tank. The java fern and dwarf sagitaria both looks great, infact that is the healthiest dwarf sag I ever saw.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks very artistic, i really like it. I know discus are meant to be in groups of 6 or more because they like their community but if they can do fine with just one of them in a tank and maybe with some other small fish friends then i will consider getting one.
How did you manage to hide all your filter equiptment and still make it functional?
What shade of black is that? and is it painted or with that plastic attach to the back stuff?
Ive always wanted to try discus but ive been afraid of killing them if anyting is slightly off espically since they are such expensive fish.
Its a beautiful tank.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the relpies.

Jim - I did intend buying another Discus but have been informed that bullying will be an issue unless I am very lucky. I don't really want to take risk - as long as he seems happy I'll stick with the one. The Otos haven't been a problem yet as far as I can see. I'm obviously keeping a close eye, I was already aware of their potential sucking but thanks for the tip.

shalu - Looking odd - I imagine it does to those familiar with seeing only groups of Discus. I have witnessed very few Discus (only in my LFS - BTW this one was by far the best I have ever seen, it was in a tank with 2 others, both of which were no way near as active or colourful) so have no "frame of reference" - therefore I percieve my single specimen as quite normal - admittedly in an "ignorance is bliss" sort of way.

Jdinh04 - Thank you. I did have a green spot algae issue on the sag but this was remedied easily by dosing extra PO4.

skabooya - You can just make out my Juwel Compact H internal filter on the right - this is nearly the height of the tank and is filled with coarse and fine sponge approx. 4"x4" - a powerhead sits on top. I have mangaged to hide my Fluval 204 external pipework in there too. The inlet slots into where the heater used to live in and the output is positioned near the powerhead output. The outpipe is directed to mimimise turbulence.

The background is a thin black laminate and is attached using olive oil and a credit card. Simple.

I too was a little daunted by keeping Discus. However my tank has excellent bio-filtration and minimal pollution which is dealt with easily by my a) filtration b) plant growth c) 50% weekly RO/filtered tap water changes. I just increased my temp to 28C (the summer here has caused near that anyway).

Feeding dry foods is the next hurdle - At the moment he relishes frozen bloodworm but little else (not nutritional). I'm off to buy some Diskusin and garlic additives this weekend.

Considering he has only been in the tank less than 72 hours I am more than happy so far. I've heard it can take weeks for them to feed and become active.

Here's a close-up of "Digweed" (I don't normally name fish but have made exception!)

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Grat shot, what kind of camera are you using?
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
looks great. That is a great shot of the discus!

|
|
|
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
Grat shot, what kind of camera are you using?
It's only a 2 Megapixel Olympus D-230. Old and big but has a really good macro.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
very very cool. I like your setup a lot. Simple and really affective. The spacing is terrific and I don't mind the single discus in the tank, especially from an aesthetic perspective. Anyway, I like what you have done.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
zig
Algae Grower

Fantastic looking fish, im sure hes in good hands, tank looks great as well with the new addition
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 11:47 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like it...
Do yourself a favor to keep the sags as beautiful as they are now...keep them trimmed regularly and dont let them get out of control. They will choke aout an area very fast. Just keep snipping runners and removing a couple selected plants here and there to prevent them from getting too thick or it can make the tank unhealthy through trapped food and waste.
I learned the hard way...LOL

Very nice look to the tank
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok this thread is really really making me want to set up my tank with one discus in it. Geez, im wondering if this is such a bad idea because they are a schooling fish and get nervous easily. hmmmm, actually i might need a bigger tank too i just have the 20gal (up for changing). This tank has given me inspiration. Damn you for getting me to do research on discus again when I shoud really be doing research for my final paper and studying for my finals!!!
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep in mind that they do "need" frequent water changes, if you have the time then go for it. Back when I got into planted tanks, I was thinking of keeping discus myself, but I decided to go w/ just a planted tank.

But I am starting to research more on discus and hopefully get my own discus tank as soon as possible. If you want high quality discus, I suggest getting some from Cary Strong, hes one of the nation's quality discus producer, and lives in my home state, Michigan!

http://www.greatlakesdiscus.com take a look!
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I like it...
Do yourself a favor to keep the sags as beautiful as they are now...keep them trimmed regularly and dont let them get out of control. They will choke aout an area very fast. Just keep snipping runners and removing a couple selected plants here and there to prevent them from getting too thick or it can make the tank unhealthy through trapped food and waste.
I learned the hard way...LOL

Very nice look to the tank
Thanks for the tips. I already do as you say - thin out a few plants weekly, even with 2 WPG it grows like mad. It is the only pruning I need to do though, the Java fern and Crinum are obviously low maint. I remove a couple of the unhealthiest Java fern leaves every week or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode