Adrien's 30 Gallon (New Pictures Aug. 17th) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adrien's 30 Gallon (New Pictures Aug. 17th)

Well, I'm just getting into this hobby seriously, and I've learned alot from reading on this website and just on the internet in general. Also my friend Philip from Flagpull.com has been helping me tremendously.

I don't have much to show yet, but I was hoping I could just get some opinions on what I have so far. I got this mighty big piece of drift wood and really didn't want to chop it up. I positioned it in the tank the only way I really could.

July 16th:

----

July 18th:

----

July 25th:

----

August 1st:

More: http://www.urbanosity.com/tank/planted_fish_aug_1

----

August 7th:

----

August 17th:

Couple more: http://www.urbanosity.com/tank/planted_fish_aug_17/

----

Make sure an go through the pages of the thread for more pictures!

Thanks,

Adrien

Last edited by Adrien; 08-18-2005 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
would be the coolest piece of wood ever with Java Fern crawling all over it I just happen to be a Java Fern fan though Combo that with some Taiwan or Java Moss.

Good find on that piece!

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Thats a great piece of driftwood! So, what are your plans for the tank? What light and equipment do you have? I personally wouldn't cover a piece of wood that nice with java ferns or moss. I would plant around it and not hide it too much. Just my opinion though. Good Luck!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

I have a Coralife Aqualight 96w and a Filstar XP1. My heater is a Top Fin 125w I got on sale at PetsMart (shrug). I plan on doing a Pressurized CO2 system also.

I was considering picking up a few plants tomorrow at the LFS so I can have something to get me started.

I'm also considering ordering this: http://azgardens.com/habitats_south.php

I chose that one mainly because of the qty/price. It's the best deal, and what do I know about plants? If it's green it'll make me smile for now...I think.

Thanks for the comments. Very appreciated.

Adrien
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 AM

I would suggest the co2 first before you get any plants, except possibly java fern. That's to make sure the plants have the adantagae from the start (against algae).
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Pia

PTrader: (1/100%)
The driftwood is really nice and unique!

What are you using on the bottom? It looks like a mixture but I can't really tell what.

I can't wait to see how you plant the tank so be sure to post more updates as you go along.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
I would suggest the co2 first before you get any plants, except possibly java fern. That's to make sure the plants have the adantagae from the start (against algae).
something I wish I had done!

definately get the plants all in there and planted before you start dosing anything (i.e. co2, NO3, etc). otherwise it is just giving algae a "heads-up".

what fish will be in there?

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
If I have to go CO2 stat I'll probably start off with DIY and move into Pressurized in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia
What are you using on the bottom? It looks like a mixture but I can't really tell what.

I can't wait to see how you plant the tank so be sure to post more updates as you go along.
On the bottom is 2 bags of flourite with some small black pebble type decorative rocks on top. I'll make sure and update, no worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spar
what fish will be in there?
I haven't quite gotten that far yet, but I know I'd like some Red Tailed Sharks. I had a tank when I was younger and it had one, and it was my favorite. Mind you, this is when I was 10 or 11.

Thanks for all of the input!

Adrien
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:42 AM

Great piece of wood Adrien, I like it.

A couple of suggestions If I may...
You should add at least one more bag of substrate , especially if you would like to grow crypts/swords/val's like those in that plant package. The depth of your substrate right now is at bare minimum. Personally I would get 2 more bags because I think that even one more bag would only add a 1/2" more and be flat looking still. Another half bag would help you create thicker spots for contour and heavy rooting plants. It all depends on what your plant choices are going to be but if thats the plant assortment you want then you will need to add a lot more for good plant health.

You may also want to consider additional filtration , your XP1 will need frequent cleanings in a tank that size or at minimum you may want to add a powerhead for water circulation.
I ran an XP2 and a large HOB whisper on this same sized tank with an additional small powerhead and when it turned into a jungle of stem plants I still scrathed my head on some days. If you keep the bio-load down (your fishies) then the XP1 should take care of business easily. But definately consider a powerhead just to move the water and help the filter. Speaking of a light bio-load...do you know how big red tail's can get ? LOL
I think there is a ton of potential for the look with that wood... great find. I think Im gonna like watching this tank develop. Im a wood freek I guess !
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Buck, i've been looking at your tanks alot lately and reading the articles you've written. Originally I started out with the flourite and then the play sand on top like the article you wrote, but I decided I didn't like the sand. I guess I never gave it much thought that since I ditched the sand i'd need some more flourite to compensate, doh!

I guess i'll pick up a couple more bags and start from ground zero again.

On the filtration, doh! I guess I just assumed since the XP1 said it was rated for 45 gal and below i'd be alright. I'll definitley get a powerhead and if I start to go heavy with fish i'll look into another filter as well.

Infact, my Red Tail did get pretty large as I remember, maybe that's why I liked it so much? Boss of the tank status

Thanks again.

Adrien
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:55 PM

The filter ratings you see "may" be true but they are not for a planted tank. If you were to start a conventional aquarium with a few plastic plants and a bubbling treasure chest and kept the bio-load down then yes it would probably be OK, I doubt I would put an XP1 on a 45 gallon still but a 30 would be fine.
Planted tanks get more density and the water circulation goes down fast so the XP1 filter and a couple cheapo powerheads would be fine. Myself , I have always run 2 different filter systems on every tank no matter the size for that day that one decides to quit and leave me in a tough spot.
Cleanings are easier with two systems also... one week I clean one filter...then maybe the next week or two the other. That way the bio's are always cranking in one at all times.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

I can see what you mean. Would it be a good idea to run dual XP1's, or would that bad somehow?

Adrien
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM

If you are going to buy another filter get the XP2 and run them both. You get an extra media basket with the XP2 and if the flow is to heavy for your liking you can throttle the flow down but I doubt you will want to.
The few extra dollars is worth it for the next size up and look at it this way, you can not "overfilter" tank water.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a plan dude. Thanks for the advice.

I just picked up 2 more bags of flourite, wheee!

Adrien
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:26 AM

Ya know I just looked at that plant listing again that you posted...I think you would be better served to get plants individually that you would like to grow. Take a look at tamk photos and make a list of what you like and get them singly, I dont care what they say... thats too many swords for a 30 gallon

8 Corkscrew Val
6 Jungle Val
3 medium Amazon Sword (these get HUGE FAST)
1 medium Red Rubin Sword (these get even BIGGER)
2 Anacharis
3 Cabomba
3 Narrow-leaf Ludwigia
5 potted tennellus Chain Swords
Fertilizer (what kind ? )

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode