My 40 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
zig
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 40 gallon

Hi everybody

This is my first attempt at a planted tank, i was just wondering what you guys thought.

Ive been lurking here for a long time just reading through the threads trying to figure out exactly how i could keep the plants alive and algae free, anyway i decided to try the EI method of fertilising and got the nescessary dry ferts together lights filters etc over a period of weeks, during this time i also decided to make a tank to fit in an alcove in my house, so i made the tank, the hood and fitted the lights and got the system up and running and put the plants in.

The tank is 30x18x18 (Sorry rex but this is what fitted, but id say i clocked up about 100 views minimum on your site in that time, much appreciated )

At the moment im useing DIY co2 and havent had much of a problem achieveing 30ppm, im useing 2 bottles at the same time and rotate the refills to try and keep some consistancy, i change each mix in rotation every 7-10 days max (but i want pressurised, thats next on the list) diffusion is by Hagen ladder.

40 gallon tank
diy co2
Eheim 2215
Laterite and a fine gravel mix
3 WPG
Doseing via EI method

The first shot is taken exactly 5 weeks ago the day i added the plants, the rest of the shots were taken last night, the plant in the foreground is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and its growing very slowly, but its the only type of carpeting plant i could get at the time, but it seems to have speeded up a bit in the last week as i added a little more po4.

Thanks for looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Absolutely wonderful! So peaceful, and your plants are lush and green!

I could spend all day in front of that aquarium!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:31 AM

Looks Awsome!!! Itll look even better once that foreground grows in. Great Job

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:29 AM

I'll second Mike's & igotworms's comments. Your tank is an absolute delight to look at. I especially like the arch created by the driftwood.
Can't wait to see it in another 5 weeks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Excellent tank, love the color... What fish call that place home?

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've never seen a 40g tall before. It looks great! The plants have filled in nicely! Keep us updated!

Re-boot!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
zig
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for the replys i really appreciate them.

Yeah there are fish in the tank but not to many, i wasnt sure about this only cycling the tank only with plants as the filter was brand new, so after the plants had been in for about a week i added 6 Zebra Danios, and thought well these are hardy fish anyway and would probably survive a traditional cycle if what i had read or if i messed up didnt work out, so i checked the water every few days and it was testing ok, so what i had read in Rexs guide was correct (i shouldnt have doubted it)

I have since added 6 otocinclus to deal with a major diatom bloom which broke out about the start of the 3rd week, the diatom bloom has since totally ceased and the ottos have done an amazing job at cleaning up the mess, so the tank is now totally clean.

But as regards cycling the tank i have had absolutly no problems it worked a dream, and i suppose the irony is that i am now adding nitrates to feed the plants, ill add more fish soon but not quite sure what type.

Im in the process of building another larger tank this one will be 54 inches long, and it will be planted also, so i will move the Danios in there (if i can catch them ) and start the process over again, this time not doubting that it will work.

Thanks again guys
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Planted Member

Wonderful work zig, especially for your first effort. It's obvious the research has payed off. You will be AGA standard in no time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode