Well since it's a journal, I figured I should post a few other pics.
I took a couple of shots of the underside of the DIY hood. I originally wanted to set it up with high gloss white paint, then opted for aluminum sheeting thinking I could polish it to high shine finish. That did'nt work out too well, and ended up with a duller finish then when I started.
Then not wanting to waste the aluminum, I purchased a can on spray paint "High Gloss Chrome ". According to the salesman it will come out like the lid.
What I ended up with is slightly pebbled finish that is slightly more reflective than the aluminum when I first started.
To make matters worse, the bulbs I'm using have a built in reflector so, the whole process was basically for nothing.
I switched out the 18K bulb for another 6700K as I found the 18K to be too blue.
First pic, hood lights off,
Finally, added a few more plants, I'm still trying to figure out how to hide then spraybar as any plants I place in front of it get laid flat by the water flow.
I reduced the filter output as low as I dare to go and enlarged the outlet holes in the spraybar to about 3 times the original size and still too much. ( Maybe should have gotten a smaller filter LOL. )
My only other option would be to place the spraybar horizontal at the top of the tank, but then I may end up with dead spots.
I'm open to suggestions/ comments on that one.
Forgot to add the stats.
Water parameters: GH 5.6, KH .56 ( only 1 drop changed the color) PH 6.2, NO3 20ppm, PO4 5ppm.
Added 2.5 Tsp of baking soda to increase KH. Will retest tomorrow.
I was surprised that my nitrate were so high, phosphate I kind of expected as from what I read, Aquatic soil may increase PO4. But then I remembered that 75% of the water is recycled from my other two tanks.
So I added 12-15 stems of Ludwigia, Cabomba and Moneywort to soak up some of the nitrate /phosphate before I add the inhabitants.