New 30G cube low tech journal. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 30G cube low tech journal.

Just finished the initial setup on the 30.
Stats:
Oceanic 30 Cube,
Fluval 404 with spraybar,
Schultz Aquatic soil with gravel substrate,
1 15W 6700K & 1 15W 18000K bulbs. ( will increase to 2 of each in the near future)
Aquascape not set in stone at this time, although I like the current layout.
Plants will be Java Fern & Java Windelov, Java Moss, Crypt Balansea ( for now will maybe one or two more variety ) Amazon sword.
Fauna will be Rams and angels, Pleco and corys.

Last edited by andyg; 07-19-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: adding descprition in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks alright, although I would stick with the smaller stones than having the bigger rocks in the back.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
Looks alright, although I would stick with the smaller stones than having the bigger rocks in the back.
Thanks for the comment. You are right, the more I look at it the larger those rocks get.
I was going for a rock slide effect and maybe using medium sized rock and another amazon sword in the corner will work better in filling that corner.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The big rocks at the back of the tank is the best. I aquascape by stacking large boulders at the back of the tank, then the smaller rocks if front of them. I like the look of the "rock slide"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Well since it's a journal, I figured I should post a few other pics.
I took a couple of shots of the underside of the DIY hood. I originally wanted to set it up with high gloss white paint, then opted for aluminum sheeting thinking I could polish it to high shine finish. That did'nt work out too well, and ended up with a duller finish then when I started.
Then not wanting to waste the aluminum, I purchased a can on spray paint "High Gloss Chrome ". According to the salesman it will come out like the lid.
Ya right What I ended up with is slightly pebbled finish that is slightly more reflective than the aluminum when I first started.
To make matters worse, the bulbs I'm using have a built in reflector so, the whole process was basically for nothing.
I switched out the 18K bulb for another 6700K as I found the 18K to be too blue.

First pic, hood lights off,

Lights on,

Finally, added a few more plants, I'm still trying to figure out how to hide then spraybar as any plants I place in front of it get laid flat by the water flow.
I reduced the filter output as low as I dare to go and enlarged the outlet holes in the spraybar to about 3 times the original size and still too much. ( Maybe should have gotten a smaller filter LOL. )
My only other option would be to place the spraybar horizontal at the top of the tank, but then I may end up with dead spots.
I'm open to suggestions/ comments on that one.

Forgot to add the stats.
Water parameters: GH 5.6, KH .56 ( only 1 drop changed the color) PH 6.2, NO3 20ppm, PO4 5ppm.
Added 2.5 Tsp of baking soda to increase KH. Will retest tomorrow.
I was surprised that my nitrate were so high, phosphate I kind of expected as from what I read, Aquatic soil may increase PO4. But then I remembered that 75% of the water is recycled from my other two tanks.
So I added 12-15 stems of Ludwigia, Cabomba and Moneywort to soak up some of the nitrate /phosphate before I add the inhabitants.

Last edited by andyg; 07-19-2005 at 03:45 AM. Reason: adding info
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Final plant and hardscape set-up.( Minus the fast growers which will be coming out in a few days.) Moved the spraybar horizontal directing the output against the side glass. I think I'm actually getting better circulation this way than the vertical. I'll let it sit as is for the next couple of weeks and see what happens.
KH is up to 2.5 dKH. I'll had another dose of baking soda to bring it up to 4-5 dKH. First fish will be added after this.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Thirteen days since last pic. Major brown algae outbreak, but this was expected.

Added 1 Crypt Balansae. 10 days ago added 2 3" SAE and 3 Paleatus Cory.
Five days ago I tried to add a Rubberlip Pleco but he unfortunatly died within a few hours. Thinking that he may have been sick, he was exchanged for another at the lfs. Unfortunatly, same results.( Only found out today that their PH is @ 8.4, mine was 7.2 at the time. So even with 50% tankwater added the PH shift was just too much for them.)

So having basically given up on the Pleco I added 8 Otos today. Strangely enough, tonight both SAE and even the corys are eating the brown algae. ( LOL maybe there afraid they'll get kicked out if they don't clean up )

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

It looks good! Is it set up for viewing from the sides as well?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mori.
It's basically set up in a corner so, when sitting at my computer desk I can actually view the left side and the front.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I really like the job you did with that cube, Andy.

Those little Oceanics look so great, but seem to be real tough to plant. I think you did a great job!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mike.
I'm still not happy with the plants in there, maybe if and when the two swords recover it will help fill out the back.
I'm still trying to figure out a plant to fill the back left corner that will hide the heater. I need something that will be able to withstand the strong current from the spraybar. Any suggestions?

Those little Otos are wrking steadily at cleaning the brown algae, after 24hrs they have about 75% of the Windelov cleaned up.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Tank at the 1.5 month mark

27 days since the last pic.
A few changes, removed all the stem plants, major trim on the Amazon sword in the back right corner.
Added some of my "no so" Dwarf Sags from my 50 & Crypt Wendtii (?) also from the 50, also transfered the Alternanthera reinikii (sp ?) as it was losing it's battle in the 50. (seem to be recovering a bit in here)
The Anubias are growing new leaves as are the Javas. The moss has gone nuts with growth but is also infested with tread algea in the upper sections.
I've bought Mini & Taiwan Moss on Aquabid and plan on placing some on the rocks in the open space at the front.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks great, did you bring that sword back to life?!??!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
Looks great, did you bring that sword back to life?!??!
Thanks. I trimmed off about half of the leaves, The remaining one were shorter & looked healthier so I left them. There is a new leaf coming out so I guess it may survive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode