Uber low budget 5 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Uber low budget 5 gallon

So this is my super low budget, minimal effort 5 gallon planted tank. It has been going for a LONG time now. i got the tank over a year ago and its sole purpose was to be a aquatic garden but that has changed as of recently. It took me all of 10-15 minutes to clean it up from a huge mess that was setting for many months before hand. before this i couldnt even see the gravel from the top and i had forgot just how red is it. So without further ado, here are the specs and such.

5 gallon aquarium
Whisper filter - has flow control...cool for the little tank
2800K flouresent light at 15 watts
Driftwood
20lb of flourite red
Red Granite and river rocks
Chinese sucking loach
Cherry barbs x6
plants are rotola and some hygro. some bacopa in there but it only comes out now and then.

Enjoy the pics

Its not amazing but keep in mind this is super low maintance. water changes happen when i remember, no C02 injection, no power compact, no ferts. only thing i do to it for plants is the flourite and the light is on a 12 hour timer. not to shabby for how little effort is put forth

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Congratulations. I love the tank. hahaha stick it to em high teckers.
Low light, low tech is the way im going ... as soon as i get the friggin light situation i have figured out.
But still, good on ya.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Looks very cool, exept for the light, which I would probably switch out with a 6500K bulb. The sucking loach might yearn for a bigger tank. Other than that

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah i know the sucker is gonna want a bigger tank but he's the least of my worries. parents gave him to me and i didnt want em in the big tank. i might swap out the 2800K for a 6500K. not to sure yet. i have a pair of them and a pair of 4100K on my 55 and it looks decent i guess. prolley need a pair of 5000K to replace the 4100K or just more 6500's,hahaha....and in all honesty the tank doesnt look nearly as yellow in person as it does in the pictures. but i'll try sticking on of my 6500 in there and see what happens. And for all you budget people, i bet i have less then30 bucks in this tank....and that is including everything i have spent on it since last year when i got it, hence the uber cheap-ness.

all gone now

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Welp after a simple switch of bulbs at the drawing table i present to you the tank at 6500K instead of 2800. i think my drawing table is gonna need a new bulb now. hehe. does look much better then what i expected. One thing im concerned with the wattage, which is now been upped by 5, making it 20 watts or 4 wpg, and if the color spectrum is going to have any effect on the plant growth. i would venture to say it wont effect them to much. we shall see i guess. this doesnt do anything to the cost ive spent on it thus far.

Pics...

all gone now

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

I like the bulb you have now. I get a nice warm sunny day feeling from it Great job, the tank looks great and I love all the different pebbles.

Edit: lol while I was reading this thread you decided to update. I kinda like the first bulbs better though... :P
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

funny you say that cause i ALMOST...almost like it better the first way too.

all gone now

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I like the new "cleaner" look I don't think it will affect things too much, although once I noticed a better brown algae growth with the lower K bulbs, all depends of course. Basically it comes down to personal preference, if you like the sunset feeling go for it!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah i swicthed it out with the 2800ki think it helps make the tank look alittle more dramatic, if you know what i mean. i might go and search for a 4100 or 5000 for it. I want the reds to stand out real strong against the strong greens and such. im sure it will change over time.

all gone now

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Planted Member

Absolutely beautiful. One of the nicest tanks I've seen in a LONG time. Simple and natural--good work.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode