55gal community fish/planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
55gal community fish/planted tank

Well, we needed to consolidate tanks, electric bill was too high with 12+ tanks running (the + is if you count the 5gal breeder tanks for feeders). So a list of what was broken down first.

20gal community tank:
Flora:
- (3) Amazon Sword Plants
- (1) Crypt Lutea
- (1) Barcopa
- (1) Fake Hair Grass
Fauna:
- (7) Platies
- (3) Neons
- (2) Angel Fish
- (5) Cory Cats
- (1) Rubberlipped Pleco

This is HIGHLY overstocked, but the fish seemed ok. The angels did develop body fungus, which we treated, but was one factor in the upgrade. The fish all came with another tank we purchased (smaller tank) and this was as good as we could do at the time.

10gal Tetra tank:
Flora:
- (2) Gaudy Neon Fake Plants
- (2) Equally as awful tank decroations which matched the neon blue gravel
Fauna:
- (4) Bloodfin Tetras
- (1) Big SAE

This was my sisters tank as well. We got the tank, filter, etc for free from freecycle, and my dad gave it to her for christmas. She really likes the fact that the tetras school, but in a 10gal tank, with the decorations as such, it was difficult to see them.

55gal Cichlid Frontosa tank:
Flora:
- (1) Anubias v. Nana Barteri
- (1) Barcopa
- (1) Anachris
Fauna:
- (1) 8" Common Pleco

Unfortunately, this was the deciding factor in the upgrade for the other fish. My favorite fish in the entire house (among fresh, brackish, and salt tanks) was stanford, our beautiful 5.5" Cichlid Frontosa. Unfortunately he was sort of doomed when we got him. When we got him, it was sort of a rescue. He wasnt being taken care of and the family was waiting for him to pass on to redo the tank - he had eaten all of their other fish in the 90 he was in. He didnt eat well, and we were suprised that he lasted this long. Unfortunately, he passed away.

Which leads us to the current tank. This is by no means a high tech tank, in fact it borders on no-tech; not even low-tech. We have a HOT Magnum on the tank, along with an airstone. We upgraded the lighting a bit and hopefully the plants will thrive.

55gal community tank:
Flora:
- Everything listed above
Fauna:
- Everything listed above sans the SAE which is being taken in for store credit. This thing is HUGE! Anyways, we didnt want it to cause problems. The rubberlipped pleco is likely going to the store as well.

The neons arent doing so well, and we plan on replacing them with a larger school in a week or so, if we have to put these ones down. Most of the fish werent well when we got them, and we've done our best to get them back to health with antibiotics and melafix/pimafix. My sister wants to purchase 4 more bloodfin tetras so she can have a larger school of fish as well.

Like I said this is pretty much a no tech tank. The lighting is 80W of NO Flourescent lighting. Eventually, I plan on upgrading it to even 160W of NO Flourescent lighting. When we upgrade our salt tanks we'll have some good lights leftover from that too, so who knows.

The sword plants are all babies of a plant we had earlier this year. I plan on having a sword plant forest of sorts on the right side of the tank, and I hope that the anubias takes off on the left. The middle is still undecided. I need to get a good ground cover plant for the middle, and something interesting growing in the back.

I'm still sort of a newbie to the planted tank scene. Took a break to go to saltwater, and now while waiting on the 150 to get done, I decided to snap some pictures of this one. I have my 10gal dwarf puffer planted tank, which is much fuller than the 55. Most of the plants are trimmings from the 10gal tank too.

Thanks for looking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode