Huey's 58G Tank Journal (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Huey's 58G Tank Journal (56K warning)

First of all, thanks to all who have provided helpful information either from answering my questions or existing information within this community.

A few tank parameters:
58G oceanic
Coralife Aqualight 2x96W PC fixture (6700K, 10000K)
Pressurized CO2 (5lb tank, JBJ regulator, Milwaukee pH controller, DIY Hofteizer Style reactor)
Eheim 2217 Canister
Hydor 300W inline external heater
Flourite (5 bags)

pH 7.0
kH 9dkH

Dosing EI:
1/2 teaspoon KNO3 3x weekly
1/8 teaspoon KH2PO4 3x weekly
10ml Flourish 3x weekly (will be replaced with plantex CSM+B)

Lighting period 12 hour at this moment.

Here are some pictures:
The empty tank and you can tell from my dog's expression how much he appreciates the setup...

A few pictures showing possible driftwood placements.

I chose arrangement 1 but not sure if it's going to turn out well

Got the plants on 7/01/05 and started planting...

Day 3:

I found out that the used reactor I bought was not working well for me...it was not able to keep up with the CO2 usage in tank. Must have a leak somewhere. So, instead of trying to repair it, I decided to just build a Hofteizer Style reactor to replace the used reactor.

I replaced the reactor on day5 but by this time, some plants have suffered from it Some leaves were melting...

Day 8:

As you you can see it looks like I might be seeing some algae problem with that brown stuff on the leaves, rocks, as well as some parts of substrate.

I'm not sure what I should do to try to eliminate this brown stuff.

Anyways, this is a start for me. Hopefully, the plants will perk up a bit.

Any suggestions, recommendations, advice, and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Huey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
This is a good start. The brown algae is normal...use your hands and rub off what you can. Otos will eat the stuff clean too...10 would be good for your tank. Keep us updated!

Re-boot!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Pia

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your ambulia is really pretty. I just got a few strands but I think it must have come from a really high-light tank or even maybe a low-light, I have no idea. It is a lot darker (making me think low-light) and has a lot of pink in it (making me think high-light). I hope it starts to look like yours soon once it gets used to my parameters.

I think you are off to a good start. It looks really nice!
The brown algae is normal in new tanks. Don't worry, it will go away.

Your dog is a cutie. He sure does look pumped up about the new tank, huh? If only we all could have that kind of enthusiasm.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
A 58G! Great aquarium! If I only had the room (and time) for another aquarium! Great choice!

Really looks great! Keep up on the CO2 and the fertilizers and that algae will disappear in no time.

Be patient and enjoy! You are going to have a fantastic aquarium in no time!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the compliments and tips y'all I'll probably get something to munch on the algae a little. I was thinking of getting either a few bushynose pleco, good algae eating shrimp, or some snails... Not sure which one to go with yet. Since, I will eventually put a few discus in the tank, I might go with a couple of bushynose pleco or snails.

What do you all think about the photoperiod? Do I need to reduce it?

Thanks
Huey
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A little update:

Day 11:

Day 14:

Not sure what this stuff is on my driftwood that is pearling tho

Do you think I should take the wood out and give it a good cleaning and scrubbing? This stuff is only on the wood.

I have changed my lighting period to 11hours a few days ago and will leave it there for a week or two and see if things get better with the brown algae.

Also added 6 otto to the tank and they have been busy. May need to go get more cause they look overworked;p

Thanks!
Huey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Eheim 2217, Hydor Inline 300W heater, Coralife 2x96W PC Aqualight fixture (6700K+10000K), 5lb CO2 tank, JBJ regulator, Milwaukee pH Controller, DIY reactor.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hey Huey, what a difference a week makes! It looked like you had a GW bloom that looks to be gone now! I suppose that means you are right on schedule.

How's that new DIY diffuser working out? Well by the looks of things.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think you really need MORE plants.... I have a 29 gallon that I am fighting with algea and nutri balance. The more plants I added the easier it became to control.

Help control the pet population...spay or neuter people won't spay or neuter their dogs or cats!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Steve,
Thanks for your observations The DIY reactor is working good I think. Much better than the previous one anyway

Fedge,
I might add more plants soon.

Thanks guys!
Huey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Eheim 2217, Hydor Inline 300W heater, Coralife 2x96W PC Aqualight fixture (6700K+10000K), 5lb CO2 tank, JBJ regulator, Milwaukee pH Controller, DIY reactor.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor
Nice layout. Looks like youre having the same diatom problem I had in my tank a while ago. If it helps, mine seemed to go away when I started using RO water for my water changes. I believe it helped because my tap water (which I was using previously for water changes) is very high in silicates which diatoms feed off of. Well, good luck with your tank.
-David

The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, is the day Opeth dies. -Mikael Akerfeldt
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:10 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I wouldn't worry about decorations "pearling" -- it's probably just trapped air being released.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks David, the ottos are doing a great job on the brown stuff;p

GMF, I'm afraid the piece of wood has been in the same tank for almost a year now when the tank was a fish only tank. So, probably not trapped gas. There is a layer of black stuff on the wood where it is pearling. I'm suspecting it's some kind of algae...

Thanks
Huey

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice start, I have a 58gal. too. They are a lot easier to plant and there is no center brace.

One thing I notice in your first pic. Does the house door swing open toward the tank? I would be careful with that. I am not trying to tell you what to do but it just scares me.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi CPR,

I have a door stop that only allows the door to swing so far...It won't even get close to the tank;p Thanks for the concern

Thanks,
Huey

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode