2x15w GE Aqualight (came with tank)
50/50 eco-complete and flourite

Flora
Rotala Indica
Nymphaea sp rubra (Red Riger Lily)

Fauna
5 Green Rasbora (Rasbora kubotai)
3 Otocinlus

The tank has been up for a month now. Added plants 6/17 and fish 7/2.
Not sure about the wood and plant placement, but I'm still working on it. Working on keeping it low light, but I plan on upgrading lighting within the next few months.
Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks good, even though its a low light tank i'd up the lighting to maybe 2wpg. Should put some more plants!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Needs A LOT more plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions on plants?

When it comes to living creatures, I tend to err on the side of caution. I figured I'd see how the lifeforms I decided to keep would actually survive before I added more. I'm leery about adding new stuff since my lighting is so low.
If you have suggestions about plants that would live in my current conditions, I'd love to hear them. (I don't expect anything to thrive until I upgrade my lighting.)

Thanks!
Jaz
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Upgrade your lighting, you wont get to many suggestions other then this until you do so. FYI, I have a 40 gallon with 2.4wpg and I can grow anything, so you you don't need to add an insane amount of light when you upgrade.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

New Lights!!!!

I have upgraded my lighting!!!

Woohoo!!!!

I am very excited. I treated myself to a new 65w PC light and lamp today! (New job present) That gives me 3+ wpg. I should be able to grow (almost) anything now!

It's been two months since I added anything to the tank.

I also added some new critters. I added two dwarf frogs and two zebra loaches. (I've discovered the exploding snail population from my plants.)

Here's anew picture with new lighting. I expect my plants will be taking flight soon....

Last edited by Jazmyne; 09-13-2005 at 01:12 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Doing great, but your tank still looks so bare. I can see that algae clearly, if you don't get more plants in there, algae is going to be the only thing you are growing.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Gravel and driftwood look sharp Jazmyne. I know you are cautious against "killing" many plants, but that is the wrong approach (when it comes to planted tanks anyways ). When starting a tank, you need to think of it as pitting two armies against each other (algae vs. plants). The more plants you have, the better your odds. Get yourself some fast-growing stem plants (hygrophylla, elodea, hornwort, ludwegia, etc), and that BGA will start to retreat.

Nice start

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora
Doing great, but your tank still looks so bare. I can see that algae clearly, if you don't get more plants in there, algae is going to be the only thing you are growing.
I second this...you need to cram that tank full of some fast (nutrient absorbing) plants asap or you'll be tearing it down and redoing the tank again soon. Any plans for CO2 (diy will work for this size)?

Re-boot!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
Smile

Jazmyne,

I see we almost have same set up! & ***SAME BIRTHDAY****I agree with what they said as I had the same problem when I first started with a high light. Do a seach on DIY CO2 as I used this on mine without any problem. As far as the plants! SINCE we have the same birthday I will offer you plants for the price of shipping but you need to wait a week & i'll tell you whats available.

Here's what I have:

- L. Aromatica
- L. repens
- Indian Fern (ALSO CALLED OAK LEAF WATER SPRITE)
- Hornworth
- Riccia
- Taiwan Moss (limited)
- Alternanthera Reineckii

-Brian

FILSTAR#88
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
It's hard to tell in that picture, but is that cyano on the driftwood and gravel? It has that emerald/blue-green cyano look to it.

As for plants, try to find some Hygrophila polysperma or water sprite. I like Hygro because it looks better and it can actually be used in an aquascape later on. Stay away from anubias and mosses for right now. Heck, you could even get a handful of Riccia and float it...that's a real nutrient hog.

- Erik
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
It's hard to tell in that picture, but is that cyano on the driftwood and gravel? It has that emerald/blue-green cyano look to it.

As for plants, try to find some Hygrophila polysperma or water sprite. I like Hygro because it looks better and it can actually be used in an aquascape later on. Stay away from anubias and mosses for right now. Heck, you could even get a handful of Riccia and float it...that's a real nutrient hog.
Wow, good eye Troy. I didn't even see that...already a blackout needed??? Or a maracyn treatment.

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode