20 Gal, new gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
20 Gal, new gravel

lost the sand, went with some gravel given to me by Jdinh. This is the day after changed the substrate. Sparsley planted still w/ the same light setup as before. It looks much darker than w/ the sand. The gravel is shultz aquatic soil. I am in no way done, just a peeker for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks great Chad, what esle do you plan on adding?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
That looks pretty good!!!

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
Looks great Chad, what esle do you plan on adding?
Thanks!!

John, I'll be adding more light and prob some mosses.

- Join today!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sweet, there are some good deals on aquabid for mosses if your interested. I suggest get some moss from Strung_0ut, hes the moss king!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The new gravel is a really nice, natural color. Wish I could find something like that.

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Pia

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks nice and natural. I especially like the driftwood and the little terrace you have set up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:26 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hee, that's looking good. I even liked the red stones.
Interesting wood and you created a natural "hill".

Only hing I would do : the left stones on the front. They are somewhat square and maybe swap them for round ones in lighter colors to get a more even look.

Gr. PJAN
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the comments folks.

PJAN, Thanks for the suggestion, in fact I did just the opposite. I add more slate chips (the larger ones about 3-4" across) in the corner and along the back behind the driftwood. It is quite the contrast, and I hope to get something growing on them as soon as I find out what. The stick on the bottom holds back some of the gravel and does create a sort of retaining wall that I like a lot. In the back right corner, I will find something to fill it out behind the larger driftwood. Hope to get some work done on it soon.

- Join today!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I mounted my new lights, you can def tell the difference in how much tank the light covers. The bulbs are just 2 18" plant and aquarium bulbs from GE, which I know some of you will tell me they suck but I can't afford better ones right now. A few new changes to come soon. RIP AWAY

echinodorus bleheri?

echinodorus barthii

dwarf saggitaria

cryptocoryne wendtii (green/red)

- Join today!

Last edited by chadly; 07-11-2005 at 06:44 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Chad, i'm starting to like your tank a lot. I think all it really needs is a nice black background, it reminds me of a nice biotope!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks john, The black background is next. I was thinking about that last night when I took the pics. I also need to find a better way to cover the lights. The long fuzzy plant coming from the back of the tank is out of place and I need to find someting to do w/ it. Its way too tall and I'm not exactly sure what it is. I took some clippings of it and put them in the front left corner. I think now I may move them to the right, back behind the large end of the wood. I hope to get something (java ferns?) to strap on the wood.

I enjoy the look of the scattered planting sceme. I'm not so into the overwhelmed w/ tall bushy growth throughout look. That seems to cover all the other parts of my tank. I don't mind creating a backdrop w/ plants but I think the whole mid-front area should be clear as much as possible to at least enjoy the other decos in the tank.

- Join today!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your plants look great how they are at the moment, i'll be getting some java ferns sometime this week! If I have some extras i'll let you know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode