38G by rain- (56K), rest in peace - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
38G by rain- (56K), rest in peace

I have finally managed to move my apple snails to another tank so I can dedicate this tank for plants, shrimps and smaller snails. I haven't aquascaped the tank yet, plants are spread in a way that they all have room to grow and be.

144 liters, 38 gallons, 120x40x30(height)cm, 47.2x15.8x11.8 inches.

Sand blasting sand, 0,1-0,6mm. Tetra Crypto tablets and self made clay+peat balls as the bottom fertilizer, PMDD, KNO3, Seachem Flourish, Seachem Flourish Excel, DIY CO2. 2x36+2x18W fluorescent tubes, 2.8wpg. Eheim 2010. pH 7, GH 5, KH 4, NO3 10ppm, 26C.

Ludwigia helminthorrhiza, Phyllanthus fluitans, Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Cladophora aegagropila, Microsorum pteropus 'Red', Rotala rotundifolia, Shinnersia rivularis, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba', Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Hygrophila corymbosa 'Stricta', Echinodorus tenellus, Echinodorus angustifolius, Marsilea hirsuta, "Egeria najas", Drepanocladus aduncus.

All the plants are doing well and pearling, no algae (*knocks on wood*) and I need to prune them often. I think I will keep the plants this way until I get more plants (more delicate ones) and then actually plant them so it looks good. The ones in the plastic cups are the ones I have sold and are soon to be sent.

I can't wait to start doing plans for this tank

Last edited by rain-; 12-21-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks great, thats one heck long of a tank!
post #3 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks

I like this tank, it looks bigger than it is and allows much deeper view since it is more wide than high. There's also more surface area and it is good for the oxygen levels in the tank. I had this and another similar made for me and I couldn't be happier.

Oh, and I have 3 metal halides, 70W with Philips Mastercolour bulbs. I am thinking about putting one or two above the tank, but it worries me a bit. They should be put really high and still there would be alot of light. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it. And the plants are growing nicely with these lights. Maybe after I get EI going.

I have just started to add NO3, didn't feel the need before since there were lots of apple snails, but now it's necessary. I haven't found the right balance yet with ferts, for example the Ludwigia 'Cuba' is too green now. I will start dosing by EI when I get my hands on KH2PO4.

Last edited by rain-; 06-12-2005 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

post #4 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:01 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Those are interesting dimensions on that tank and quite a list of plants you have...you will have your hands full keeping stems trimmed but it should fill out quickly and look nice.
Two 70w pendants would be fine if kept elevated and I think they would be perfect for your setup. Since you dont have to worry about jumping fish I would leave the top open for looking down into the tank. I cant wait to see what you do with the scape...

What is the name of the one in the 3rd photo ?
post #5 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The moss in the third picture is Drepanocladus aduncus, I just got it from Netherlands where it is rather common in the wilds. Grows straight up.

And yes, the plants give me alot of work. I pruned most of the stem plants a few days ago to max. 5cm height and yesterday I already had to shorten the front part of the Shinnersia bush when it started growin horizontally along the water line. As you see, it has grown fast. But I don't complain

I just hope I can start the EI soon to get the best results, Shinnersia grows too tall and not thick and wide leaved enoug, others are too green and so on. But I suppose it was expected when I started changing my fertilisation routines. It's still not right, but I believe it will soon be

I was thinking about thin apple tree branches to the back of the tank for the full lenght of it. And attaching mosses and ferns to them. A bit larger pebbles and small stones to the front to make it look more natural. And replacing the easy plants with more demanding ones.

I would like to leave the top open, but (I forgot to mention) there will be zebra nerites and Crystal Red and White Pearl shrimps as occupants. The snails will definitely climb off, I'm not sure about those two shrimp species and their behaviour.
post #6 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think long thin branches would look sweet in that tank. The dimensions are unique. Definitely much bigger looking than it really is. I'm betting you won't end up keeping too many stem plants . This one will be fun to watch develop!

Brian.
post #7 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have this perversion with stem plants and pruning them. I actually love it. I am really anxious with this setup, I have a feeling this will be my greatest ever. If I just get it all to work

How high would you put the metal halides, btw? It is a shallow tank and I would hate to see it filled with algae.
post #8 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know what, I love that new moss. It grows fast and looks pretty. It has grown this much in 3 days:

The moss came with some algae and I have been removing it when I see new threads. I'm not really worried, I think I can get rid of it before it spreads to other plants

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #9 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Those MH's are only 70w so I wouldnt worry much about the height... I would say 12-14" would be perfect. You should get beautiful growth and if it gets too crazy just raise them a bit more.

CO2,CO2... and dont forget CO2 ... LOL
post #10 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok. I think I will switch to metal halides in the beginning of August since I will be on vacation for almost the whole July and well... It's better that I will be monitoring the situation

And btw, it isn't a good idea to put a couple millilitres of liquid fertiliser inside the bottom sand as an experiment. I got my first BGA for ages (I remember only one time few years back when there was a tiny area of BGA in a withering stem plants leaves). I was like a little girl in Christmas opening presents: "Oh, BGA! So neat!". I did remove it, but first I admired it for awhile

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #11 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
Looks great! I have a very similar size tank I haven't setup yet. This gives me an idea of what mine might look like. My tank is 48"x18"x12".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #12 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They really are nice dimensions for a tank. I was thinking that when I move next year I will only take the stand (120x60cm) of this tank with me and buy a new 120x60x40cm, 47.2x23.6x15.8, tank on top of it. I could put even more shrimps there and maybe shoals of Corydoras hastatus, habrosus and pygmaeus. But now I need to concentrate on this one

I was baffled because Heteranthera and L. 'Cuba' seemed to grow really slow even though there is enough nutrients, CO2 and light. But I took a better look just now. No wonder they didn't seem to be getting higher, they are growing horizontally.

Heteranthera doing the limbo:

Today after I sent the plants in plastic cups and half of the annoying Shinnersia:

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152

Last edited by rain-; 06-16-2005 at 08:45 PM.
post #13 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)

Didn't know you also came here, than again this forum is not part of my routine, so I miss things. But I'm glad you like the moss.

edit: I think that last setup will grow out looking wonderful. It sure is an improvement when compared to the first pictures. But well that was the plan wasn't it?
post #14 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I love this moss, thank you so much. The few threads of algae are gone too

I think it's going to take a long time for this tank to be the way I want it to be (my vacation, then metal halides and EI, tree branches and other decoration, then some more demanding plants), but there's no hurry.

I think I will try my luck with open top. I believe the shrimps will stay inside the tank if they are feeling comfortable, but I think I need to put the zebra nerites to another tank. And that blue looking black cardboard needs to be replaced with something black that actually looks black in pictures too.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #15 of 163 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, nothing has changed, everything doing great (exept some of the Vallisneria, they sort of dried when I was doing a 90% water change and forgot I really shouldn't do it anymore, but I'm sure they will grow back) and Ludwigia 'Cuba' is getting more beautiful every day. It really was good to move the apple snails to another tank and dedicate this only for plants, low NO2, high GH and KH with no CO2 addition isn't a good thing for planted tank.

The change is remarkable as everyone could have guessed. I was a bit worried that maybe some plants will get annoyed because of the change even when it was a change for better. But lo and behold. Rotala wallichii which arrived almost frozen to me on february and was only couple of black stumps without leaves for these months has done a comeback. I thought it was dead

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode