55 gal startup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 gal startup

Just transferred everything into this 55 gal that I had and thought I would share some initial setup photos. Some of the specs:

Lighting: (2) 80w shoplights
Ferts, etc: DIY CO2
Substrate: sand and gravel from local rivers/streams.
Plants: H. zosterifolia
Fish: Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, Paracheirodon innesi, Otocinclus spp.

The plan is to let the stargrass get fat and sassy and start filling things in a bit, forming a few monospecific stands in the 'streambed.' I'll get rid of the neons and add to the 8 red-eye tetras that I already have. If I can get a species of pencilfish from the LFS that has the same distribution as the red-eyes and stargrass, I'll add a group of them as well.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
wow i like it the way it is, even if there arent many plants. the rocks and sand make it look very natural, by the way, where did you get that branch? was it in a stream or did you just find it on the ground somewhere
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks!

The branch I ripped off a dead Red Osier dogwood bush down by the river--it grows EVERYWHERE around here. Once the preliminary fungus cycle is over, it makes a great type to use in the tank. Normally I would have the branches going all the way up to the top and breaking the surface, but I had already pruned it to fit in a different tank (which wasn't as deep as this one) so they came up a bit shorter than I'm used to.

-Takashi Amano

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:15 AM

Looks great! I like the riverbed look. The thin branches really give an impression of wide space.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Waaay cool man! I love your biotypes

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM

the wood looks good are you sure it won't rot . the sand gravel and stone fit really well together. the star grass will look good as it fills in i would get a bit more though to avoid the intial algae growth

are you adding any bottem feeding fish at all?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
That really is an interesting branch... Are you planning on getting any bigger pieces of driftwood? Your stargrass plan seems cool.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I love your biotypes.
Phil, thou art a villain...

Quote:
the wood looks good are you sure it won't rot
It will...or did. As I said, there is an initial phase where any organic matter or tissue on the branch decays and forms sort of a mucousy type film that surrounds the branches, but eventually wears off (or you can just scrub it off). This branch has been in the water for a month or two now and has already gone through all that.

Quote:
are you adding any bottem feeding fish at all?
Probably not.

Quote:
Are you planning on getting any bigger pieces of driftwood?
Nope. So many tanks use larger pieces of wood, and I'm trying to get away from that. In my snorkeling and observations of local streams and rivers, so much of the underwater scene is wide open sand, gravel, and rocks. Plants (in or near the current) tend to grow in large, monospecific clumps. Even if two species grow right next to each other, they never seem to intermingle that much in their growth, but rather right up to each other and stop. Wood debris consists of either LARGE fallen logs and butresses (which is hard to translate into aquaria realistically), or smaller twigs and branches along the banks. The latter is what I'm going for, keeping more of an open look with some clumps of plants that have managed to take hold, and a small branch that got lodged in among the rocks and fish have decided to use as shelter.

-Takashi Amano
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know, it's been a long time since I wrote in to compliment anyone on the photo album. But I've just got to say, that is a nice looking tank. I love the simplicity of it. I'd love it even more without the filters and heaters showing though. But I imagine you've got plans in that regard. I think you really have the right idea with such a natural look to it, even if it doesn't have a "golden ratio."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow, thanks for the compliment Canoe2Can. I try to stick with "simple" and not use more than 1-3 species of plants, and the same number for fish species.

As for the heaters and filters...I don't currently have a plan for them, but I would like to. I've never owned a canister in my life (can never pull the trigger and fork over the cash for one) but I may if this tank turns out well. The Duetto on the left is just for water movement and a small amount of filtration in the minimal sponge housed in it, and the smaller on the right is for CO2 dispersal (the line from the pop bottle plugs into the air inlet on the filter head--works GREAT for getting CO2 into the water column as the impeller dices up the bubbles and pushes them into the water).

And Geometry was one of my absolute worst classes in high school, so the whole "golden triangle" thing is a bit too much for me. Instead, I try to take notes and cues from nature and focus more on relationships structures have with one another (wood, rocks, rock size and distribution in relation to their place in the stream, plant growths, where fish tend to inhabit and congregate based on these relationships, etc.) and things end up turning out fairly well.

-Takashi Amano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode