Just for fun - 10gallon "at work" tank. Very low tech Val tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just for fun - 10gallon "at work" tank. Very low tech Val tank.

Call me a dork (and then call yourself one ), but I miss my tanks while I'm on the clock. I had a few bucks of LFS store credit, and decided to make a half-hearted attempt at keeping a few plants and fish in an unused 10 gal at work.

Ingredients:
- 2, 18w, 2700K screw-in fluorescent bulbs - hood, bulbs and tank collecting dust at my place of employment.
- 1 bag eco complete - store credit LFS
- AC mini - unused in my basement
- 25w heater - same story as the AC

Water Params.
1/2 tap, 1/2 DW
KH 8
GH 10
NO3 = 10-100ppm
PO4 = no idea

Originally, I had rotalla, eleocharis (dwarf hairgrass), and Val americana. The rottalla grew, but looked lousy (removed), and the hairgrass croaked off.... But, the vals are growing as well in this tank as they are in my high-tech tanks at home. There is a Java attached to the driftwood, making very slow progress, but at least it isn't dying.

I added a small school of white clouds (feeder fish at my LFS - 12/$1) and a couple baby angels ("recycled" with each batch of new babies I raise). There is also a wood shrimp (six-legged, filter-feeding shrimp) that is doing quite well, and has molted 3-4 times. Obviously, this does not compare to home, but it sure is nice to have something to tend to while putting in my time.

The tank is prone to occasional BGA growths, but nothing epidemic. And the ramshorn snails seem to keep things pretty tidy.

Sorry for the lousy photo. The camera at work is a real dinosaur.

Thanks for looking.

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
naet....looks like it could benefit from some aquascaping?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Nice idea, my boss won't let me have a tank because he thinks it might leak and finish up our computer equipment

I would definitely take out those bulbs, throw them far far away, and use some 6500K daylight bulbs.

Not sure if vals are the best plants for this kind of setup. They sure grow, but aren't really low maintenance, and yeah, aquascaping...

What about some Java this, and Java that? Maybe a Crypt or a few, Anubias? But hey... I am just envious!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr
naet....looks like it could benefit from some aquascaping?
Absolutely! But first I needed to find out if any plants would grow before I invested all that creative energy into an aquascape. I need to do a bit more trial and error to see what will grow. But, in truth, I'd be please with a Val farm as well.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
I would definitely take out those bulbs, throw them far far away, and use some 6500K daylight bulbs.
Yeah, I know...pretty yellow, huh? I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal on some "hotter" bulbs. Even 5000K's would be nice compared to the ones in there. Good advice re: other plant types. I'm going to write them down (or I will never remember) and take the list to the LFS on my next trip.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like it just the way it is. The yellowish tint of the bulbs gives the tank a blackwater feel and the Val looks awesome like that. Sure, the val will take over eventually, but that's not hard to remedy. I get a strong natural impression from the tank, which is what I think low tech tanks excel at. It looks a lot like a weed bed at the edge of a lake. Well done!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 02:37 AM

I agree with Phil. What a natural look it has, very easy to stare at. The only distraction is the angel in there... I would remove the angel and add more white clouds.

What a great tank , are you still able to get work done ? LOL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Heads up on good bulbs... Go to walmart in the lighting section look for "Super Day light bulb" It's 20 watt 6,500 K and great buy a coupel for your tank and you're set...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode