8 gal, 12-10-05 Update - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
8 gal, 12-10-05 Update

Well here's my gorgeous tank (yes... I'm being sarcastic). It just doesn't seem right. I think I like where all the plants are except the l. glandulosa, they make the tank look unorganized. And the front corners are so empty. I don't know if I should get more plants or fill the spaces up with the ones I've got. What do you guys think? I don't have a big variety of plants in SA and my substrate is just plain quartz gravel so that limits my choices even more.

EDIT: My gravel doesn't actually glow like that It's the closest white balance setting I can get on my cam. It washes the color out too... my java fern are actually such a nice rich color (the one plant I'm proud of)

Yes! I snuggle with rats!

Last edited by StUk_In_AfRiKa; 10-12-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I would go with dwarf sagitaria, dwarf hairgrass, or glossostigma for your foreground plant. If your running C02, the back plants should fill nicely. I would take the two pieces of wood you have and try a different piece (I have one if you want to buy it?). Other than that, it looks like you have a nice, clean tank!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

We don't have any of those plants here...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Ouch, I forgot that you lived in South African =(
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:20 AM

im not sure what u can get ur hands on in South Africa i have never been, but yes i suggest getting a different substrate/gravel if u can...something like a sand or a plant gravel...and yes add CO2 because its pretty much essential in a planted tank...in most that is...but i do like ur plant choicies...
maybe different shaped drift wood positioned in a way that looks good would be nice...other than that...im sure u will be fine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have CO2 (at about 30 ppm) and I looked for a good substrate but the only choices I had were silica sand, quartz and calcium based substrates (or potting soil but I'm not brave enoughf for that). Everything else was either too fine or large grained.

And driftwood... hmm I dunno all the pieces I've seen at the store are so big. They'd take up like a 1/4 of my tank. I actually like the piece on the right (in the pic it just looks like a black lump but it's not that bad :P)

As for plants, I haven't seen any carpeting plants at all. The only small plants are the anubias and this other plant that I don't know the name of. It's no more than 10cm tall and has light green, round leaves. Each plant(s?) is pretty thick. Anyone know what that is? I'm looking at Tropica and it might be Echinodorus parviflorus. I'd ask the salespeople but they told me the l. glandulosa was h. polysperma :/

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:12 AM

Hey there.

H. polysperma can make a good ground cover if you bury the stem horizontally. I have used this before to good effect. It will grow side shoots from the stem and stay quite low for some time.

I use sera floredepot with a layer of riversand you buy from the nuresry for my substrate... it was the best I could find in Cape Town.

Pet Adventure in Kenilworth has some small pieces of bogwood if you want. I am busy setting up a 60cm planted tank and found some nice pieces there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've never been in Kenilworth haha that's what I get for not having my license yet! I think I remember seeing the riversand at Stodel's but then I saw the quartz at Bromley's. It didn't look like quartz lol I thought it was something better. It's not actually that bad though.

I've been thinking about using b. caroliniana horizontally in the gravel. It grows slower than hygro so I think I'll try it once my vertical bacopa bush tickens a bit to hide the filter. :P

Today I was looking at the tank and thought that my plants have barely grow but looking back at that picture I see that they've actually grown quite a bit (and so has the algae).

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update: 4 months later

Thought I'd update this. It's been 4 months since the last pic and in the meanwhile I battled with red, hair, and green spot algae. The red and hair algae have been completely gone for a while now but I'm still struggling with green spot even though I'm dosing slightly more than 2 ppm phosphates. Plants have been growing nicely and I've been putting off a major trim of the java fern. It's starting to look crowded in there. Oh and the micro sword doesn't go all the way across the bottom because I'm still waiting to see if it's going to survive under my lighting If it does well I'll go and buy another pot. And the ludwiga in the back just won't grow straight and then I chop it down 'cause it bugs me lol I should just move it out into the middle so it can gain some height. Anyways pics... excuse the over exposure. The substrate doesn't actually glow like that nor is it that red

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode