My new 36 (updated pics 7/17/05) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
My new 36 (updated pics 7/17/05)

A friend of mine gave me this tank with the gravel on monday (I had the wood just waiting for a home) and this is how it looks today. I am not sure the direction this tank will go, but I would love to do something like Amanos tanks. The gravel will be removed and replaced with 100% Flourite. Lighting will be some kind of pendant(sp) not sure what yet, I have a 4 foot shop light over it for now.
Please let me know what you think, any comments (good or bad) would be very helpful.
Sorry for the poor pic quality, I am still trying to figure out my new camera.
If anyone can help with a Sony DSC-P73 that would also be great!!
Thanks
Mike

the few plants in here came out of my 55 gallon tank

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mshaeffer; 07-18-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Hey, thats a really great look! That wood is fantastic. It will look cool with plants growing above the water line, if thats what you're going to do - since you mentioned pendants.

Just a thought...Those quick release cable grips - the kind that one can order for the Tek lights make light adjustments and water changes a total breeze. Aquarium maintenance is a ton easier now that I have them. I don't think I'll ever want another tank without them. If I build another canopy for a second tank, I'm going to incorporate cable grips for sure. Best $30 bucks I've ever spent in Aquarium money!

I like the existing gravel. I bet it would work fine, or maybe Eco would look more Amano like than red colored flourite. Nice start for sure. Bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Bob
I am going to take my time with this tank and consider all options. I have never used the Eco so I didn't even think of it but now may be the time to give it a try. I am going to have plants grow above the water line, just not sure what yet, do you have any ideas?

Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:49 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I agree the wood is killer!
Taking your time and going w/ the proper pendants will result in an awesome tank down the road.
You may need to begin on planting the "sparse" side, as the stump is so massive. You will want to avoid "filling up" all the space. But the tank dimensions should allow for some awesome depth. IMO the stump, tho neat, kinda dictates what your planting scheme should be, rather than complementing whatever you wish to do.
I would replace the current gravel with Eco, if for no reason other than it will look more "natural" - complementing the wood.
I have a buddy who has b&w gravel in his hex planted tank. It works for him b/c his home is decorated pretty starkly w/ white walls and a lot of black leather and wood. And his tank is sort of "flashy" instead of natural.
But I don't think that is the look you are seeking.
Keep us apprised.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe some short grassy type plants like vals (corkscrew) or small Sags on the left side might look cool swaying in the current toward to wood. But not too many too close so you can get the form of the wood. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I have no self control, I added 7 neons today. I am not worried about the water because it all came from water changes from my other 6 tanks so it is not like I needed to cycle the tank. So far about 12 hours have passed and all 7 look great!! The plan is to end up with about 20-30 neons and a few ottos and thats it.

Albert Einstein

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:12 AM

I think maybe also some fish that like to hide in the natural cave structures the stump provides. It would be interesting watching them peek out of the dark.

Yes, that tank is beautiful so far, and I agree with eds about keeping it on the sparse side.

Have you checked out the AGA competition site? There are some tanks that inspired me in different directions. Some cool things you can do with uncommon plants.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I know the feeling. I'm a sucker for neons and have 21 in my tank. Re: plants, above waterline plants will have to be able to handle alot of light, obviously. But I don't know that much about emersed plants being fairly new to the hobby.There are probably hundreds of options. Anubias and of course javas grow above water. And a few cories would love hanging out under that big wood. My reticulated corys and juvenile clowns and SAEs are fun to watch run in and out of bottom hiding caves.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice...although I would swap out the gravel for some sand from a local stream or river. It will look MUCH more natural and cohesive.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
I personally think that the wood should be removed and sent to me so I can use it in my own tank!!! LOL!! That is a great chunk of wood and would look great with some anubias growing at the base or even some kind of grass type plant growing around the base for starters.

Will you be changing your sustrate soon?? That black and white stuff really has to go!!!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah the black and white gravel will be gone this weekend!!!! The wood is getting some white stuff growing on it, does anyone know what this could be and how to get rid of it?

Also, it has been 6 days and all 7 neons are doing great! This weekend I may pick up a few more.

Albert Einstein

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Went yesterday and purchaser 9 more neons and 1 SAE. The orignal 7 neons have now been in the tank for 18 days and all is well. I will post more pisc as soon as I get a few good ones

Albert Einstein

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not really sure what the white stuff is, but once the tank's cycled properly and the plants start using up the nutrients, it goes away. I had that in one of my tanks and it was gone overnight.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the white fungus looking stuff on the driftwood is harmless... don't worry it'll go away
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are a few updated pics...........

Albert Einstein

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode